April 26, 2024, 01:39:55 AM

News:

Deck height and intake flanges

Started by Johnwesley, November 27, 2018, 03:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnwesley

When checking deck height should I check with or without base o ring?
I checked with out and got .004 in the hole.

The intake flange isnt centered with the head. Do I have something wrong or is this just the way it is?
05 FXD superglide,98",10.6,S&S585, HPI 55/58,
WFO Larry's cnc2+, supermeg,120hp

1FSTRK

November 27, 2018, 03:17:44 PM #1 Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 03:23:11 PM by 1FSTRK
The deck measurement will be fine checking with no base oring

Are these the 05 heads and flanges that came with the bike?

"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Johnwesley

The heads are exchange heads, the intake flang is an 05. Both appear to be offset and not centered. The intake pictured is the front head with the flang stamped F. The rear head is the same as far as not being centered

1FSTRK

I would put the manifold on and snug up the flanges then look inside and see how it lines up.

FSG

The casting number on the Rear Head will be 16725-99,

post some pix of the flanges

and of the heads without the flanges attached

Don D

I guess this is just core shift. 05 was bad for this in all axes. I fix this when porting the heads by using the bolt holes as the datum and making the opening 1.7", then blending the port to conform.

N-gin

The intake was on straight and level with the engine? It wasn't pointing up or down?
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

koko3052

Being exchange heads they may have been milled a bit. This then moves the intake ports lower because of the "V" design. You may have to shave off a bit from the intake manifold to get it centered.

Ohio HD

Measure the thickness of the head. Head gasket surface to rocker cover surface. Should be 3.750" for stock TC heads.

1FSTRK

Judging from the post and pictures he has not put the head on yet so if they were milled would have no effect at this point. It appears he is judging the flange/port alignment  based on where the flange bolts locate it. As Don pointed out, at this point it is either core shift or the port work and with the manifold in place there may be not problem at all. I would do a full mock up and find out for sure before doing anything.

Armin

Quote from: 1FSTRK on November 28, 2018, 10:26:26 AM
Judging from the post and pictures he has not put the head on yet so if they were milled would have no effect at this point. It appears he is judging the flange/port alignment  based on where the flange bolts locate it. As Don pointed out, at this point it is either core shift or the port work and with the manifold in place there may be not problem at all. I would do a full mock up and find out for sure before doing anything.

The heads up to 06 (exc. Dyna) used asymetrical flanges to mount the TB to the head and as suggested above I would make a mock up. Separate the Y- runner from the main TB and mount it to one head with the gasket and the correct flange to check if the intake runner sits concentrically over the head port opening. You can easily feel the port through the other still open Y end of the runner, repeat this check with the other head. any nonconcentric seat condition creates unwanted flow disturbance towards the intake valve and should be corrected. Once the heads are mounted in their final position again hold the intake runner into its final position to find out if it is neccessary to remove some material off the runner ends and again here you can feel if the runner sits concentrically over the intake port.

Armin.
Nothing can ruin a Man's day faster than an Almost-Takeoff!

Deye76

"The heads are exchange heads,"

I and some friends learned the hard way.  :down:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

1FSTRK

reply #2 confirms the heads and proper flanges are in the right place.

I have seen zero problems with exchanges heads from any of the reputable porting shops.

Johnwesley

This may not be a deal at all, but I can show you better than type it in an intelligent way. Hope this helps

https://youtu.be/8siNXV74q6A

Don D

I would run it and move on. This is not a big build I assume and the details you are looking at albeit are not the way I do things will run OK. This is a 1.8" port, core shift corrected before finishing.

Johnwesley

Thanks, appreciate the input and i'll Run it as is. I got a reply back from the shop and that is core shift he said the misalignment at the top was core shift and the bottom is normal and should line up with the manifold. Also assured me that the flow chart was with manifold in place. You are right as this is just a basic bb with head cleaned up on a bolt in cam.

HD/Wrench

John all in all its not the largest deal in the world .. I have tuned bikes that had 1.800 intake on them with stock size ports . Jut a tune on my end  they bought the wrong intake , and I have seen where 1.800 with stock manifold  You would think it would drastically upset the flow but the HD is pretty easy .
going

Johnwesley

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on December 01, 2018, 07:58:09 AM
John all in all its not the largest deal in the world .. I have tuned bikes that had 1.800 intake on them with stock size ports . Jut a tune on my end  they bought the wrong intake , and I have seen where 1.800 with stock manifold  You would think it would drastically upset the flow but the HD is pretty easy .
going

Was hoping you would reply since you'll be tuning it for me. Was thinking about swapping the s&s 510 cam for the Chris Rivas 554. It will make better use of the increased flow and still has the same 38 intake close event.

Don D

Johnwesley

December 01, 2018, 08:54:20 AM #19 Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 10:38:22 AM by Johnwesley
Quote from: HD Street Performance on December 01, 2018, 08:48:28 AM
Consider a CR575

My only issue with the cr cam is, I have heads that were designed to be used with a cam that has a considerably more exhaust duration then the intake. Not sure if a balanced cam like that would work as well with these heads

Admiral Akbar

If both ports look the same, I'd try a set of 06-up flanges. Would not be surprised if they line up better.

Mother

155hp/149tq Hyperformance iron cylinder 131. JW Performance heads

FSG

Don D

What is the casting number of the heads?

1FSTRK