April 18, 2024, 12:49:04 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

95 inch ping

Started by egstandard, December 04, 2018, 10:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

egstandard

2004 carbed flht. Did a bore and 95 inch flat top stock compression pistons last july. 2006 stock heads. .030 head gasket. Andrews 26 cams. It pings under load sometimes now. Only when it is really hot outside. Thinking i should have gone with the .040 head gasket? Stock ignition.

rigidthumper

Stock curve may be slightly aggressive, but it should be close, as it as designed to be safe/proper for an 8.8:1 engine with a 30° intake close, and you now have a 9.3:1 engine with a 35° intake close.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

PoorUB

I did a 95" with Andrew's 26 cams, milled the head .030" and used a.030" head gasket plus got it tuned. It would ping occasionally. 

Get it tuned!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

jls 64

Aftermarket ignition plus  get it tuned
js

egstandard

Like a Daytona Twin Tech?

1FSTRK

Quote from: egstandard on December 04, 2018, 01:43:13 PM
Like a Daytona Twin Tech?

I had great luck with DTT, all my local builder uses.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hossamania

I'm assuming the stock cv40 carb, was it rejected, possibly a different needle?

egstandard

Yes, it's jetted and running a cvp velocity needle in a cv 40.

Hossamania

Next step is ignition, then. The DTT is a good unit. It has manual adjustments that are easily used, and it can be programmed with a custom tune as well.
Putting it on a Dyno would help dial it in and verify that your fuel is correct.

jls 64

Ignition fron ultima is cheap.but a dyno tune is need it.
js

Y2KRKNG

A DYNATEK tc2000 would get you where you need to be also. It has preset timing tables on 3 different zones and a rev limit setting. That's it, pretty simple.
If you're not going to "take it to the tuner" at a cost of $1G+tuning devise, then the Dynatek will fit the bill.
ATP(TurboHarry)95",Mik45,Branch/Mik "Flowmetric" heads,TW55,T.Header 2-1

egstandard

I should also mention that these andrews 26 cams were in the bike when it was 88 inches. Also with a .030 head gasket and the 2006 heads. Never had any ping with that combo.

Y2KRKNG

Sounds like the stock timing is serving you well then. Just leave it and use some octane booster on real hot days or a quart of race/Av gas.

1FSTRK

Quote from: egstandard on December 05, 2018, 07:25:04 AM
I should also mention that these andrews 26 cams were in the bike when it was 88 inches. Also with a .030 head gasket and the 2006 heads. Never had any ping with that combo.

Your compression was lower with that combo.

Y2KRKNG

Quote from: egstandard on December 04, 2018, 10:40:09 AM
2004 carbed flht. Did a bore and 95 inch flat top stock compression pistons last july. 2006 stock heads. .030 head gasket. Andrews 26 cams. It pings under load sometimes now. Only when it is really hot outside. Thinking i should have gone with the .040 head gasket? Stock ignition.
A little more description would help. You MAY be able to skate by without a new IGN module. Does it ever ping at WOT? Is it only in high gear(4th or 5th) at high load low rpm(below 3k)? Have you gone to a colder plug and smaller gap with the higher compression?

egstandard

Never at WOT. Higher load low rpm ping, yes. I'm  not a lugger though. Slow roll of throttle and it usually won't ping. Stock plugs, gapped in the middle of spec. Octane boost does help.

muskwa

As Y2KRKNG says, try a colder plug before you spend money on the aftermarket ignition.  I run autolite XS4162 in mine. (2 heat ranges colder than stock replacement XS4164).  An NGK in the 9 heat range would be equivalent.

egstandard

I'll look for some of those plugs. What gap you running?

jls 64

js

1FSTRK

If you are getting ping on a long hard pull the plug may be over heating so the colder plug could help a touch, If you get ping during roll-on or coming into a grade that is pure timing and closing the gap will add timing to an already too advanced curve. If it is ever so slight and only in the hottest weather you could try running maximum plug gap but it would be a long shot.

You have done this build over time making improvements every step of the way, maybe you owe yourself and your engine one more performance step and add the DTT. It will bring out the power from the build you have, be adjustable for anything you may change in the future, and protect your investment no matter what you are running.

jls 64

js

bobo

If you go for a DTT do not forget the cable so you can fine tune the ignition
24FH 33Chief 59Pan 2005FLHTC 2007 1200 sporty

egstandard

Hillside Motorcycle

Set the DTT at 1, 2, 2 and 6000 rpm limit for starters, until dyno tuned, if need be.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"