April 24, 2024, 01:07:09 AM

News:

Sumping amounts...

Started by hotbo, December 04, 2018, 12:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotbo

Hey Fellas i have been fighting this 124 B motor of mine for a while. I just recently changed up several things and one of them or 2 of them rather is i put a Dan Thayer oil pump with the matching Thayer cam plate in the motor.Upon initial break in (new pistons and boring of the cylinders)i felt like it was lazy so i put 500 miles on it and checked for sumping.... i got 18 ounces out of the drain plug on the crankcase.So i opened ed it back up and  replaced all the O-rings AGAIN and re-checked everything twice. I just fired it up and ran it on the stand at about 2500 rpm and raced it off a few times and then killed it. I pulled the plug and got 5 ounces out. Bike sounds way better. Is this acceptable with the Thayer set-up? Thanks for any advice Travis   :beer:
03 fatty 124"  S&S Super G/Bored w/T-jet,Dragos Softail Exh.

rbabos

Quote from: hotbo on December 04, 2018, 12:46:07 PM
Hey Fellas i have been fighting this 124 B motor of mine for a while. I just recently changed up several things and one of them or 2 of them rather is i put a Dan Thayer oil pump with the matching Thayer cam plate in the motor.Upon initial break in (new pistons and boring of the cylinders)i felt like it was lazy so i put 500 miles on it and checked for sumping.... i got 18 ounces out of the drain plug on the crankcase.So i opened ed it back up and  replaced all the O-rings AGAIN and re-checked everything twice. I just fired it up and ran it on the stand at about 2500 rpm and raced it off a few times and then killed it. I pulled the plug and got 5 ounces out. Bike sounds way better. Is this acceptable with the Thayer set-up? Thanks for any advice Travis   :beer:
5-6 sounds about what I use to see in my softail. I suspect there are more places or area in the B case to collect oil that will show up in the sump test. Don't know for fact other then the visual overview inside the case for area.
Ron

jls 64

Las time i check got out 5oz.after a 50 miles ride.b motor se plate and oil pump
js

hotbo

hotbo

Rode it for about 3 miles yesterday after warm up.2 hard runs and then high idle pulling back into shop. pulled plug got 7 ounces... My wifes 98inch softail i get 4 ounces out of it with stock cam plate and fueling pump   :nix:  :nix  .To damn cold cold to ride very far and check some more. Travis  :beer:

No Cents

Quote from: hotbo on December 06, 2018, 06:45:55 AM
Rode it for about 3 miles yesterday after warm up.2 hard runs and then high idle pulling back into shop. pulled plug got 7 ounces... My wifes 98inch softail i get 4 ounces out of it with stock cam plate and fueling pump   :nix:  :nix  .To damn cold cold to ride very far and check some more. Travis  :beer:
your good to go...7 ounces would not concern me.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae