April 19, 2024, 02:20:35 PM

News:

TW7-H cams in a 103

Started by Langwilliams, December 05, 2018, 01:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langwilliams

Hi...first post on here...I joined because it seems every time I google a Harley engine question I end up in here reading the replies! I have a 2014 street glide. this winter I'm going to ditch the stock head pipe for S&S dual's (I know not a great move for performance) an a set of Woods TW-7H cams. I got a deal on the cams after reading they are a bolt in cam. A lot of posts recommend higher compression or displacement...Should I sell these an look for a more friendly cam for stock compression or will I get a nice kick from these in a 103 stock compression engine?

muskwa

If they are the S&S power duals with the built-in crossover then they are a decent performer.  I would measure the deck height and install thinner head gaskets to obtain a .030" to .035" squish clearance.  The bigboyz compression calculator gives 195 psi ccp at sea level with that cam and .030" squish clearance assuming 85cc chamber volume.  You could cc the heads while they are off to verify.  Should be a snappy performer with the right tune.  What elevation do you ride at?

Langwilliams

according to google 653'...I have a set of true dual's...I'm not looking to squeeze every drop of HP out of it but I don't want a cam that's a mismatch either.

muskwa

As with all high performance builds the tune will be critical.  Will you be doing the work yourself or farming it out?  Have you discussed your riding style with any of the noted builders on this site?  What part of the country are you located in?

Langwilliams

I mostly ride back roads with my buddies an we hit it pretty hard. I have a power vision tuner an will probably get a canned map from Fuel Moto an maybe run an auto tune to start....I'm not far from Roeder's so I might do a dyno tune later....spreading the costs out. I'm west of Cleveland an Roeder's has a great rep for tuning.

jls 64

Search info abaout andrew 48.bolt in can.
js

1FSTRK

Quote from: Langwilliams on December 05, 2018, 04:24:08 PM
I mostly ride back roads with my buddies an we hit it pretty hard. I have a power vision tuner an will probably get a canned map from Fuel Moto an maybe run an auto tune to start....I'm not far from Roeder's so I might do a dyno tune later....spreading the costs out. I'm west of Cleveland an Roeder's has a great rep for tuning.

Back roads with the 7 in a stock engine will be a little soft and as you know already your exhaust choice will not be helping. The SE225/TW48 are equal bolt in cams with SE being the best bang for the buck, they are easy to find used.

If you want to do stages, use a Cyclerama cam now and then for the second stage have it dyno tuned you will not be sorry.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Ohio HD

Go see Roeder and get it done right from the start. This is a stock 96" they tuned for me, Andrews 48's, and a D&D Fatcat. The true duels will not be to your advantage. The 48's will be a little better in your 103". The TW7 cams want more compression.

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=98936.msg1155981#msg1155981

speedzter

I put a set of TW7's in my brothers bike, bored to 103, flat tops, .030 HG and street ported stock spring/valve heads @ 10:1.
Great early torque that peaked at about 106, with around 96 hp .
Really impressed with their manners, would love to see them at 10.5:1 .

Langwilliams

I talked to them an they're doing my friends 05 deluxe right now. they always recommend either the 48's or SE04's.

DTTJGlide

I know it's not always the best option, but since you already have the cams you could think about advancing them 4*. they end up with the same exhaust timing as Andrews 57s & have a 2* wider spread on each end than the SE 204s, something to think about anyway. I know quite a few people have advanced the 54s with pretty good success.

Hillside Motorcycle

While the 7H will not/does not perform like his 6H did, it will run well at 10.35 cr.
A bone-stock 103" with the OE HD head gasket hovers at 9.6, and the cylinder pressure will be down, resulting in a sluggish delivery.
An often overlooked Wood cam, that whips up the torque very quickly is the 5-6.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

prodrag1320

the 7H is not a bad cam,we`ve used them in a couple builds (customer choice,not ours),set at 10.25-1,they did a decent job.if the pipes you have are the S&S power duals,they work very well

Hossamania

Quote from: Langwilliams on December 05, 2018, 06:44:39 PM
I talked to them an they're doing my friends 05 deluxe right now. they always recommend either the 48's or SE04's.

As you are learning here, the true duals along with those cams on a stock motor will be soft on the bottom and you will be disappointed in the performance. A good price on a set of cams that don't work is not worth the savings. Extra money spent on the right cams or proper motor work will not be missed when they work the way you want.
Good luck, let us know how it works out.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

rigidthumper

You have a Rushmore SG and it's still stock, so you're making ~91-92 peak torque, and ~73-74 horsepower.
That same bike, with an AC, headpipe and slip-ons, tuned with a flash tuner, will usually make 105-108 TQ and 85-88 HP.
Tw7 will pick up 10 horse from there (typically 93-95) at high RPM, but the dyno chart will reveal tq losses below 3500 RPM.
Where do you normally shift?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Langwilliams

I don't buzz the rpm's unless I'm running with the guys....I'd say I shift in the 3500 range under normal around town riding an around 5-5500 with the pack. I have a power vision tune from fuel moto in it now for the fuel moto air cleaner an an rcx slip on's. With the tune I feel it holds it own against my friends 110 Fatboy S. I like the sound of the dual's an don't like the look of a 2 into 1 on a touring bike so that's why I chose the exhaust.

kouack

December 07, 2018, 03:46:04 AM #16 Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 03:55:19 AM by kouack
Quote from: Langwilliams on December 06, 2018, 07:31:36 PM
I don't buzz the rpm's unless I'm running with the guys....I'd say I shift in the 3500 range under normal around town riding an around 5-5500 with the pack. I have a power vision tune from fuel moto in it now for the fuel moto air cleaner an an rcx slip on's. With the tune I feel it holds it own against my friends 110 Fatboy S. I like the sound of the dual's an don't like the look of a 2 into 1 on a touring bike so that's why I chose the exhaust.

A 2 into 1 with a ghost muffler would fix the look  :hug:

BVHOG

I ran the 7H in my personal 07 at 103 inches for years. I had street port heads at 84cc and 30 head gaskets.  I had no issues with the stock beehive springs and the torque delivery was great but I did spend a ton of time on the dyno perfecting the bassani/trapp exhaust setup.  I had many different exhausts on that bike over the years and that particular combo was very exhaust sensitive.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Tail Ridr

Is it a bit of an over-exhausting cam?
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!

1FSTRK

December 09, 2018, 05:55:12 AM #19 Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 06:00:38 AM by 1FSTRK
Quote from: Tail Ridr on December 09, 2018, 03:14:30 AM
Is it a bit of an over-exhausting cam?

No, not at all. The TW-7H is the same timing as the TW-6 and  TW-6H the only difference is in the lift numbers. When the Beehive springs came out Bob took the TW-6H with a total lift of .590 and shortened it to .575 so it would bolt in with stock late model heads. That valve timing is one of Wood's oldest designs and has been used in Shovel heads, 4 and 5 speed sportsters, Evo's,  and Twin cams. Like the TW-8 timing, almost every performance cam company has ground some version of it. It likes a little more than stock compression but will run OK as a bolt in.   
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Adam76

Quote from: speedzter on December 05, 2018, 05:01:15 PM
I put a set of TW7's in my brothers bike, bored to 103, flat tops, .030 HG and street ported stock spring/valve heads @ 10:1.
Great early torque that peaked at about 106, with around 96 hp .
Really impressed with their manners, would love to see them at 10.5:1 .
Sounds good speedzter.... fellow west aussie here and thinking about doing the same with a 96" FB I'm looking at buying.

Can I ask roughly what budget I need to bore to 103 and do some headwork like you have done? 
Thanks

sfmichael

I had 204's in a well tuned 103 and loved them  :up:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Adam76

December 12, 2018, 05:32:37 AM #22 Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 05:40:49 AM by Adam76
Double post

AllenZ

Another cam not often mentioned is the S&S MR103. I'm in Cleveland also. Used MPH Ohio in Cuyahoga Falls to install and dyno. 2014 Electraglide MR103 cam, Supertrapp Supermeg exhaust, Screaming Eagle air filter. Basic stage two. 96.57 HP 115.28 TQ Hits 100 Tq at 2375 RPM.

[attach=0,msg1271354]

1989 FLHTC 124 S&S Bored to 127, Hillside Stage 3 cylinder heads, S&S 6 speed.

Adam76

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on December 06, 2018, 02:48:04 AM
While the 7H will not/does not perform like his 6H did, it will run well at 10.35 cr.
A bone-stock 103" with the OE HD head gasket hovers at 9.6, and the cylinder pressure will be down, resulting in a sluggish delivery.
An often overlooked Wood cam, that whips up the torque very quickly is the 5-6.
Hi,  thanks for posting.  Just wondering what you mean by the 7H won't perform like the 6H? 
Thanks for the info.

Adam76

Quote from: AllenZ on December 12, 2018, 06:00:39 AM
Another cam not often mentioned is the S&S MR103. I'm in Cleveland also. Used MPH Ohio in Cuyahoga Falls to install and dyno. 2014 Electraglide MR103 cam, Supertrapp Supermeg exhaust, Screaming Eagle air filter. Basic stage two. 96.57 HP 115.28 TQ Hits 100 Tq at 2375 RPM.

[attach=0,msg1271354]

Wow,  that's some great results for the MR103.... when I had this cam in my stage  heritage softail 103" with a god custom tune,  I only got somewhere around 85hp 97tq from memory.  Was a bit disappointing for me,  mind you I had true dual exhaust which probably want helping.  But even then my results were way lower than yours? 

rigidthumper

Most Softail duals are very restrictive on the rear pipe where it crosses over to the primary side. I'm surprised you made 85 HP.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Adam76

Quote from: rigidthumper on December 15, 2018, 04:58:46 AM
Most Softail duals are very restrictive on the rear pipe where it crosses over to the primary side. I'm surprised you made 85 HP.
LOL 😁 yes,  my next pipe well be a Pro pipe with competition baffle.  👍