March 29, 2024, 04:28:53 AM

News:

Found It! Lifter Issue

Started by 92flhtcu, December 11, 2018, 04:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

92flhtcu

Need a bigger garage

92flhtcu

Well this caused a mess! Now what is a guy to do? 124", 111", 106 Kit?

2004 FLHTCi Dealer installed 95" Kit with SE211 cams, about 12k before I bought it
Need a bigger garage

Ohio HD

Yikes! Everyone's fear right there.

If you ride that bike a lot, as in touring miles, I'd consider putting together a 113" or 117" and use a solid crank as a base. Both are very smooth motors and can make a lot of get up and go. If it's a toy, go 124".

1FSTRK

Best bang for the buck, Custom 124" kit. A couple of builders here have a touring version down to a science.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

kd

KD

PoorUB

How deep is you pocketbook? We need to know a "budget"  :hyst: number before we can help you spend your money!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

92flhtcu

Long Distance Touring Rig, however, at times, I like to do the occasional smoky burn out. Passing giddy-up is a must. Cruising smoothness would be wanted
[attach=0,msg1271300] 
Budget? Due to my job, not a real concern.
Would like to keep the belt drive
Any input on these head castings?
Need a bigger garage

1FSTRK

Quote from: 92flhtcu on December 11, 2018, 06:11:34 PM
Long Distance Touring Rig, however, at times, I like to do the occasional smoky burn out. Passing giddy-up is a must. Cruising smoothness would be wanted

Budget? Due to my job, not a real concern.
Would like to keep the belt drive
Any input on these head castings?

Any well designed touring 124" will smoke back tires until you exhaust even your tire budget.
I personally would not use those castings on a 124" engine.

"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

92flhtcu

What castings are these? I know the Mercury logo, but not this one.
Need a bigger garage

92flhtcu

Her's where it got a tad spendier
Need a bigger garage

Ohio HD

I'm not certain, but I thought the P signifies Parker? I'd talk to someone Like wfoLarry, ask him about them, and what you want to build. Get his take on the castings being capable. What you can run into when the cubic inches goes up, is a combustion chamber too small with standard TC heads, driving the compression high. How high, depends on what you build and what compression you need for it. The answer may be a used set of 110 take offs and have them ported. I'd ask whom ever will be doing the work.

kd

Quote from: 92flhtcu on December 11, 2018, 07:18:44 PM
Her's where it got a tad spendier

Check your runout on that crank. It looks like it's out there. If you have to do the crank a new stroke of choice replacement is available at S&S so a 124 (4 5/8 crank) is the same cost as fixing yours with only one way shipping. Barrels, pistons, clutch, injectors / TB ..... what is your budget like. Do you want to do this again?  124 and done.  :wink:   
KD

92flhtcu

runout was a surprisingly .006, which is out of spec, but I thought it was going to be worse
Need a bigger garage

kd

I am surprised too. That pic of the pinion shaft looked like it was well worn enough to be wearing deep into the cam plate.  Harley would tell you to use it at .006 but most would address it while it's apart for cleaning.  Now comes the big $ decisions.   Do I fix this crank or for the same $$ buy S&S 4 5/8 wheels?  Are the barrels and pistons scored?   Do I need to buy pistons and re-bore or should I get a set of 4.125 barrels with pistons fit??  Would this make a good Christmas gift and therefore make the disappointment of the lifter failure go away.   I know what my answers would be.   :wink:  .... Not trying to over influence you either.   :fish:  The money has to be spent so now you decide what you want to end up with.
KD

Y2KRKNG

The dealer would put new lifters in and send you on your way.
ATP(TurboHarry)95",Mik45,Branch/Mik "Flowmetric" heads,TW55,T.Header 2-1

calif phil

Sell yourself, part number 488699 and be done with it.   The S&S 111 has what you want, smooth reliable power with a two year warranty. 

It's fun helping other people spend their money.   :teeth:

92flhtcu

Phil, other than awesome help, it's what this site does best!!

Yeah, I've been pondering that 111" since they came out.....However, a 106" is up there as well, and my cost diff from a 111" to 124" is under $400

And I call on Darkhorse, so there is that route as well....but I am leaning towards the 111", but only $400 to go 124" and round and round I go

Need a bigger garage

kd

92,  the one thing you hear a lot here is "I wish I had done the 124 and got it over with the FIRST time".  I don't think anyone from the 124 camp is trying to blow out your budget.  They are just stating most wish they would have after they got used to the smaller alternative.
KD

Ohio HD

Just my experience. I have a 124 and a 117. Both great motors, both can be a touring bike motor. The 117 however is smoother at a steady run. Not that the 124 isn't smooth, it is. Just you can feel the cubic inches. It's nothing objectionable, but that's why a 117 is going back in the Ultra.

92flhtcu

What combo makes a early Twinkie into a 117" ?

Cylinders, pistons not being re-used

Just heading out the door, be back on this evening, please help me spend more $
Need a bigger garage

rigidthumper

4 3/8" stroke wheels, 4 1/8" bore cylinders/pistons, case bore = 117.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

kd

That was my point about the wheels. The 177 will need the same case bore as the 124. You are left with a crank stroke decision. If you decide on the 117 you may even find a deal on a set of 4 3/8 stoke wheels. I believe there's a set in the Swap Section right now.

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=106356.0
KD

Barrett

Quote from: kd on December 12, 2018, 08:32:43 AM
That was my point about the wheels. The 177 will need the same case bore as the 124. You are left with a crank stroke decision. If you decide on the 117 you may even find a deal on a set of 4 3/8 stoke wheels. I believe there's a set in the Swap Section right now.

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=106356.0

Different year model.

PC_Hater

You've been happy with a 95" ever since you bought it. If not, a bigger motor would have gone in there some time ago.
Sooo, while we are in there we get to fix it properly.
Darkhorse crank = yes.
Then one of the big bore options to 97" or 98" or 100" should do nicely.

New heavy duty crank-cases for the massive bore options gets you to 107" or so.

If not, then a nicely built touring spec 124" and have done with it.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

Y2KRKNG

trued and welded 4" crank = $500-$1200
new rings and clean up the cam chest
ATP(TurboHarry)95",Mik45,Branch/Mik "Flowmetric" heads,TW55,T.Header 2-1