April 24, 2024, 05:10:23 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Twin cooled vs non twin cooled

Started by Clayton24, December 13, 2018, 07:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clayton24

Can anyone tell me the diffrence in the twin cooled cases vs non twin cooled ? Im not havin any luck finding it ! Thanks

topcat3815

The cases are the same the difference is in the heads

Clayton24

I cant see the diffrence but harley says they are but cant tell me how ! Thanks

Don D

Ask them to prove it with part numbers

Scotty

Quote from: HD Street Performance on December 16, 2018, 04:56:34 PM
Ask them to prove it with part numbers

He must be talking to Harley dealer parts guy who can't read  :rtfb:
Part numbers for the crankcase and even a shortblock are the same it's only the top end above the cylinders that is different even the cylinders have the same part number.
This is comparing a black water cooled to a black air cooled

kd

Maybe he's comparing twin cooled water (TC) to twin cooled oil (M8) ?   :nix:
KD

Clayton24

Ok i appreciate the info the reason for asking i had thought about a big inch build over time an was tryin to figure out if i had to have twin cooled only cases so it would work on my 15 limited . Only thing at all i can see from a 16 flhx is the two connections for the oil cooler ! But i think wont realy be a deal breaker .thanks !

KE5RBD

Harley says the SE PRO 113/120 case won't work with the Twin Cooled.  Also say the stroker 4.625" crank not for twin cooled.  The 103 Twin Cooled and air cooled case is same number.  The 110 Twin Cooled and Air are same case.  All the head porting guys I have talked to will do either for same motor combo.  They will tell you can't port the Twin cooled to same specs as Air.  Don't want to risk getting into the Water jacket. My guess is Harley wet head and air cooled have different combustion chamber design on the 103 heads and the 120 doesn't have a Wet head from Harley.  Pistons have different dome shape is what I suspect is reason for saying not for Twin cooled.  Did check with Harley on why the case says not for Twin Cooled and they really didn't know.  Seems they hadn't been tested with Twin Cooled is what they said. Person added they don't make that combo and probably why not approved. I have a new SE Pro Case that is going to be a 120/124 shortly with 110 Wet heads on it for my 14 Limited. It would be cheaper to just have a 96/103 case bored or 110 than buying the Pro case.  Know that now!!
2019 FLHTK Hammock Seat S&S MK 45 Slip ons Street Tuner.

Clayton24

December 18, 2018, 09:09:10 PM #8 Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 09:14:50 PM by Clayton24
Thanks KE5RBD thats great info ! And the combustion chambers are diffrent and use a diffrent piston dome . Unless the combustion chambers are reshaped!

TorQuePimp

Acr is not in the same position either

topcat3815

The stock 103 pistons are the same for both the twin cooled and non twin cooled, the twin cooled has a smaller and slightly different shaped combustion chamber. They usually measure out around 82cc, hope this helps.

Don D

I work for dealers. Many times we make our own kits with a combination of SE parts and aftermarket.  The 113 / 120 can be water cooled best solution is with cvo110 wet heads. The 103 wet heads not a fan but could be made to work too

Clayton24

Yes very appreciated ! All great info