fatboy

Started by david lee, November 26, 2018, 12:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lee

just wondering if the 1990 fatboy is a collectable model and  worth thanks

nibroc

the 99 model might be............. :chop:

Burnout

The first model might be, I've never seen one....

I think they were made up bomb-ish.

Ixnayed by some loafer wearing do gooder (who forgot what they did to us at PH)
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

david lee

Quote from: Burnout on November 26, 2018, 02:50:13 PM

they were i just watched a tv show about them

JW113

Yep, silver-gray with school bus yellow accents. I suppose anything is collectable if you find the right buyer.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Flhfxd

Dude lives down the road from me has one. !990 FatBoy. Has about 5000 miles on it. Spotless. I told him the origin of the name (at least the urban myth origin...). He hadn't heard that story before. He thinks it's worth a small fortune.
"And the road goes on forever...... But I got one more silver dollar.....'

JW113

Yes, I can imagine he does. Tell him to do a little surfing on the internet, might pop his bubble.

In 100 years, who knows? Today.... $5-6K, can be yours.

-JW

hbkeith

Quote from: david lee on November 27, 2018, 01:51:51 AM
Quote from: Burnout on November 26, 2018, 02:50:13 PM

they were i just watched a tv show about them
Whats the name of the show ?

david lee

i cant remember the name of the show but google 1990 harley davidson fat boy history it still runs.

Flhfxd

Something to do with Americans response to asian manufacturers "dumping" illegal quantities of product into the USA marketplace in order to suppress prices with hopes of putting HD out of business. As HD was liberated from AMF and the USA formally actioned Anti Dumping laws, the FatBoy was released. A hybrid name which supposedly comes from the infamous Fatman and Littleboy nuclear bombs that were dropped on Japan in 1945.
I'm sure no one would admit to this even if it was true....
"And the road goes on forever...... But I got one more silver dollar.....'

Burnout

That was the last time the board let Willie make marketing decisions without their approval.   :smiled:
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

JW113

I think your (or thier) timing is a little off. HD petitioned the US government for trade protection in 1982, and was signed into law by Ronnie Reagan in 1983. Four years later, HD petitioned that the 49% import tariff on motorcycles 700cc and above be lifted, i.e. 1987. The Fatboy was introduced in 1990. So the Fatboy had nothing to do with the motorcycle tariff against Japan.

-JW

Hossamania

Quote from: Burnout on December 02, 2018, 09:20:22 AM
That was the last time the board let Willie make marketing decisions without their approval.   :smiled:

And yet, one of their most popular models.
I remember when it came out, I had not heard about it or seen any ads for it. I was doing some work at Charmicheal-Lynche advertising agency, and as I walked down one of the halls, there was a large picture of the Fatboy in their ad, with the phrase "Hey, Fatboy!" I stopped dead in my tracks and couldn't take my eyes off of it, and decided then and there that I was buying one. I didn't, because I showed it to my good friend, and he ordered one, I figured I couldn't have the same bike, so ended up with a Heritage, but the FatBoy has a place in my heart.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

JW113

I can relate there, Hoss. I was in the market for a new bike in 1991, and also wanted the Fatboy. Softails were selling like hotcakes, and production could not keep up with demand. The dealership in San Jose was completely sold out of their allocation for Fatboys, so ended up with a Heritage as well. Not the turquois & white one that I wanted, though, those were gone also. With a set of Fatboy bars, and removal of the bags & shield, I "dumbed down" the Heritage to a "laced wheel Fatboy". Close enough, but I sure did like those solid aluminum rims.

-JW

david lee

Quote from: JW113 on December 02, 2018, 10:31:21 AM
I can relate there, Hoss. I was in the market for a new bike in 1991, and also wanted the Fatboy. Softails were selling like hotcakes, and production could not keep up with demand. The dealership in San Jose was completely sold out of their allocation for Fatboys, so ended up with a Heritage as well. Not the turquois & white one that I wanted, though, those were gone also. With a set of Fatboy bars, and removal of the bags & shield, I "dumbed down" the Heritage to a "laced wheel Fatboy". Close enough, but I sure did like those solid aluminum rims.

-JW
whats the best hd youve had.thanks

Hossamania

Quote from: david lee on December 02, 2018, 01:26:58 PM
Quote from: JW113 on December 02, 2018, 10:31:21 AM

-JW
whats the best hd youve had.thanks

For me, so far, it's been my '01 RoadKing, by far. Much smoother drivetrain, being rubber mounted. The Softail had a lower seat, but the steering geometry was nowhere near as good as the King. The King is just plain more comfortable. More power too, but not a deal breaker for everyone. Me, I'm a horsepower junkie. Still have it, over 110,000 miles on the original motor, tranny, and even the spoked rear wheel. And I still beat hell out of it.

JW113

I think we've talked about this before Hoss, I recall you're about the same height as me. From a vibration point of view, yes the rubber mounts (and counter balanced TC-Bs) more comfy. But I also have a '04 RK, and I sure do not like the eronomics of it for a 5'8" stature. They seem better suited for a +6' person, the seat is too far back, the boards and bars too far forward. I find the Evo softails (and FL shovels) fit me like a glove. Yes, they vibrate, but at easy crusin' speeds, it's kind of a nice vibration. High speed riding of course can beat the hell out of you. With my '91, the first few years of ridiing it I used to complain a bit about the vibs. After the first 100,000 miles, I didn't seem to notice it anymore.
:SM:

So which is best? Can't say. They are all different, and each brings something to the party that the others don't. Depends on what the ride and destination is. Pick the right tool for the job!

-JW

david lee

Quote from: JW113 on December 06, 2018, 09:12:00 AM
I think we've talked about this before Hoss, I recall you're about the same height as me. From a vibration point of view, yes the rubber mounts (and counter balanced TC-Bs) more comfy. But I also have a '04 RK, and I sure do not like the eronomics of it for a 5'8" stature. They seem better suited for a +6' person, the seat is too far back, the boards and bars too far forward. I find the Evo softails (and FL shovels) fit me like a glove. Yes, they vibrate, but at easy crusin' speeds, it's kind of a nice vibration. High speed riding of course can beat the hell out of you. With my '91, the first few years of ridiing it I used to complain a bit about the vibs. After the first 100,000 miles, I didn't seem to notice it anymore.

So which is best? Can't say. They are all different, and each brings something to the party that the others don't. Depends on what the ride and destination is. Pick the right tool for the job!

-JW
the best thing i did for my 80 lowrider is change it back to stock controls get rid of running boards and put on low wide bars so much comfortable to ride.to me if your not 6 ft tall forward controls are useless.

Hossamania

-JW

I definitely had to change my seat and lowered it front and rear.
I was just answering the question, "which is the best HD you've had."
My RK is the best HD I've had.

david lee

Quote from: Hossamania on December 06, 2018, 01:27:23 PM

-JW

I definitely had to change my seat and lowered it front and rear.
I was just answering the question, "which is the best HD you've had."
My RK is the best HD I've had.
sorry. it was mentioned before

hbkeith

-JW
I have to agree , thinking back , out of 22 HD's , my 86 FXSTC , 98 FLSTC and my old FLH,s sure felt good , im 5'9"