March 28, 2024, 04:14:17 PM

News:

Shovel to Pan

Started by hbkeith, December 18, 2017, 07:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbkeith

Quote from: Hossamania on December 26, 2017, 05:47:03 PM
He didn't say anything about cylinders, but he did say the top end was garbage, so who gives a "Potty mouth" if he puts Pan heads on a Shovel?
I knew a guy who turned a 1967 Ford station wagon into a two door. Why? Because he could, and so he could go into the parts store and order parts for a '67 Ford two door wagon, and watch them struggle to find it in their books.
I imagine hbkeith going to his parts guy and ordering parts for a '66 pan, and then proving he has one.
that's similar to how the talk all started , guy showed up with a guy we didn't know and the guy saw the 66 sitting in corner with no topend and asked if that was a 65Pan

HotRodShovel

It always starts out as a 'project' and seems to snowball into a 'job'.   I still think the Panhead idea is cool.  The aftermarket Panheads fitted for Shovel cylinders is probably the way to go. As stated, the OEM heads are slim and beat up. 

I know a guy up in Brooklyn who actually put Evo top end on a Flatside lower.  It was a real nice build and a very solid runner. 
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

Ohio HD

BKACHE

With a few more beers - suggest one cyl a shovel and one a pan.
If unique is what you seek. I have only seen a couple like this.
Dan

HotRodShovel

yea, unique it will be but not for me, PanShoveloution.  Isn't that the beauty of it though? It doesn't really matter as long as you dig it.
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

Johnnyshvlhd

I ran a set of shovelheads on a 57 pan with my pan jugs, for a lot of years. Some one had made a new hole and plugged up the old one, so they worked on pan jugs. That was before we had the after market cylinders.

Ohio HD

I had a '52 Pan with Shovels on it, you just used the Shovel cylinders too. Then you run a hard oil line from the oil pump to the rocker box for oiling.

Burnout

You could spend a lot of money on a set of Pan heads and still not be as good as Shovelheads.

That same money spent on Shovelheads would put you way to the good.

The only thing the Shovel can use beyond stock is three bolt exhaust flanges for a rubber mount (a solid mount motor doesn't need them).

Dual plugging them can help some too (since the combustion chamber is so big).
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Ohio HD

I ran across this, you may find it of interest.

https://goo.gl/qtwnVY

david lee

david lee

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on December 26, 2017, 04:31:47 PM
First year shovel. I'd probably keep it shovel..... I know, that's not what you asked, can't help myself.

I have a truly bastardized bike that started as a 76 FLH shovel, I bastardized it.  No real attraction or value to anyone else but it was my first Harley and at this point I am thinking I should have left it alone.
im shocked at any bastardized flh

Hossamania

Quote from: david lee on January 19, 2019, 02:47:38 PM
First year shovel. I'd probably keep it shovel..... I know, that's not what you asked, can't help myself.

I have a truly bastardized bike that started as a 76 FLH shovel, I bastardized it.  No real attraction or value to anyone else but it was my first Harley and at this point I am thinking I should have left it alone.

You'll probably find more of those than not.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

hbkeith

:scratch: may not be a FLH , but that Trike sure aint stock

david lee

Quote from: hbkeith on January 20, 2019, 11:29:24 AM

:scratch: may not be a FLH , but that Trike sure aint stock
your right there one of a kind