March 29, 2024, 08:31:47 AM

News:

relay

Started by david lee, November 15, 2018, 09:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lee

i know this is an old post.after a while sitting went to start the shovel, pressed the button and nothing battery has 12.5 volts cleaned the relay contacts as there was a ticking noise at the relay when pressing the starter.are the chances the relay is faulty as its the original.thanks all

a_disalvo

Do you have the "ice cube" relay or the "Ford" type? If it's the Ford type, mounted under the battery box, it's easy to jump out and troubleshoot. Just jump the two heavy wires.

david lee

its the ice cube type under the battery.thanks

Hossamania

There is a chance it's the relay, but I would put a jump on the battery first to make sure that isn't the issue. The button and ignition switch are always a little suspect too, as power passes thru them. Check your grounds, check for tight battery cables, run a jumper to the starter, make sure it's working and the battery is turning it.
Lastly, that relay is cheap if it ends up being the issue.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

david lee

Quote from: Hossamania on November 16, 2018, 02:59:55 PM
There is a chance it's the relay, but I would put a jump on the battery first to make sure that isn't the issue. The button and ignition switch are always a little suspect too, as power passes thru them. Check your grounds, check for tight battery cables, run a jumper to the starter, make sure it's working and the battery is turning it.
Lastly, that relay is cheap if it ends up being the issue.
thanks.i contacted a hd mech who said 12.5 is good and should kick over.there is power to the solenoid and is a constant ticking over noise when pressing the starter.i put the charger on for 5 hours and volts said 15.2. but when i tried to start it it dropped to 11.5. he also said that battery should last 5-6 yrs its 2.5 yrs old. hmmm.

Hossamania

Jump it, I think your battery is suspect.

david lee

Quote from: Hossamania on November 16, 2018, 07:11:57 PM
Jump it, I think your battery is suspect.
thanks again .it looks that way.not holding a charge.he also said if your not carefull you can over cook the battery if left on charge overnight

Hossamania

That is true. If the charger does not have an automatic shut off, it will cook the battery. 15.2 volts is too high. 11.5 is too low from just trying to start, a sign that the battery was bad.
Get yourself a Battery Tender, it will not overcharge, and will keep your battery fully charged between rides, safely.
Works on all your batteries: car, boat, other toys. I use it occasionally on my truck in the summer, as it will go a month or two without being used, I like to top off the battery once in a while.

david lee

appreciate the advice.he did say something about topping up the battery every couple of weeks for an hour or so with a battery tender if not ridden.would agm be a good replacement.ive been using yuasa.thanks

Burnout

November 17, 2018, 08:33:26 AM #9 Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 08:53:26 AM by Burnout
A Battery Tender or equivalent "float charger" can be left on your battery indefinitely.

15+ volts for 5 hours may well have cooked the battery.
Batteries will take that for a short period but not 5 hours.

A Battery Tender type charger monitors the battery voltage as it charges and when the battery is full it drops back to a float charge of 13.6-13.8v to counter the batteries internal leakage. That internal leakage is what causes a battery to discharge while sitting. Batteries gon't like to be in a discharged state it's internal chemistry changes and it looses capacity permanently.

Batteries generally last ~4 years, you can get more out of them if you NEVER mistreat it, but that is rare.
There are other chargers that will work but a battery tender is the most popular and easy to identify.
They are all about the same price and your don't have to get a big one, the larger chargers are basically 2 chargers in one and have additional capacity to bring an abused battery back to full charge quicker. You don't need one unless you mistreat your battery.

Leaving it on a battery tender anytime it is parked you would never need a big charger! (as long as you turn everything off)

This is all you need.
One of these chargers will keep 5+ batteries ready to go by rotating them every 24hrs, you can buy extra pig tails so it's a no tools deal, just plug it in.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

hbkeith

if your charger cooks battery you need new charger

david lee

had battery checked and is good.thanks

Hossamania

Have you tried to jump start it with another battery?

david lee

November 20, 2018, 07:06:08 PM #13 Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 07:13:34 PM by david lee
thats next. still wouldnt turn over the motor with no spark plugs

biker3r

Are the float chargers from Harbor Freight worth buying, or just junk?

Burnout

I would not trust anything electronic from Harbor Freight.

https://www.walmart.com/c/brand/battery-tender  $19

I have had a BT Plus $44 for over 15 years

Hossamania

Stick with the Battery Tender brand. Saving $10 is not worth the potential for problems.

biker3r

Agree with both of you, and thanks Burnout didnt think about Walmart

david lee

thanks all. a mate just checked battery. its stuffed. 6.2 volts when pressing starter. he said i was lucky to get 2-half yrs out of it as all batteries are crap nowadays even yuasa which used to be good. he mentioned decka as a replacement.any thoughts .thanks again

Mule

https://www.batterystuff.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAxNnfBRDwARIsAJlH29C1dr2TfyJTqtjr_5Jn2pDBwcvq3pm54LNaE5v9kENJ7A9B88hUdeQaAnaVEALw_wcB

I have been using the scorpion batteries for quite a few years now, I have put them in several friends bikes as well... Good price , good and fast service...

Hossamania

Hmm, who would have ever thought that the battery would be suspect......

david lee

Quote from: Hossamania on November 22, 2018, 08:16:37 AM
Hmm, who would have ever thought that the battery would be suspect......
your right.i was getting a wrong reading.im glad its a simple solution

Hossamania

Usually a clicking sound means the relay is working, the next piece to be suspect is the battery, as it is not making enough power to turn the motor. A jump will help the trouble shooting, unless the battery is so bad that it will not take the jump. Then it's on to the next steps of troubleshooting.
Glad to hear it seems to be a simple fix.

david lee

your thoughts on a replacement. mule said scorpion. thank you

Hossamania

I believe you are in another country, so your choices are probably different than mine. I picked up a battery from Batteries Plus a few years ago, but it's probably due for a replacement already. Yuasa had always been well regarded here, Drag Specialties batteries are supposed to be Yuasa, but I can't confirm that.
Ask your shop what they recommend.

76shuvlinoff

I believe the Scorpion AGM in my 76 is over 5 years old now but that doesn't say much. I hardly ever ride that bike any more and keep it on a tender,
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

a_disalvo

Someone told me Exide is making HD batterys. Bought 1 for my 98", works fine.

Burnout

The only battery I'd buy is an AGM.

Be advised non-direct replacement batteries may not fit the battery box well and will need shimming.

Deka was making HD batteries, not sure if that is still the case.

a_disalvo

Deka were the best about 5 years ago, then they went to junk IMHO. The last Deka I bought lasted 2 years with a battery tender on it !! Frank

david lee

Quote from: a_disalvo on November 25, 2018, 09:55:09 AM
Deka were the best about 5 years ago, then they went to junk IMHO. The last Deka I bought lasted 2 years with a battery tender on it !! Frank
what did you replace it with

hbkeith

Im running Deka seconds @ $40 straight from there warehouse in 2 bikes , 3 years on one and dident even need a charge after sitting all winter  :nix:

Burnout

yep I'm thinkin DiSalvo just got a bad one.

And if Deka isn't making official HD batteries anymore, it's not because they were not up to standards.

The MoCO is probably having them made in China.   :angry:

david lee

Quote from: Burnout on November 26, 2018, 02:51:41 PM
yep I'm thinkin DiSalvo just got a bad one.

And if Deka isn't making official HD batteries anymore, it's not because they were not up to standards.

The MoCO is probably having them made in China.   :angry:
that nasty word china

a_disalvo

The guy who owns a local battery shop told me that Exide was making HD batterys. Spins my 98" shovel like the plugs were out!!!! Frank

HotRodShovel

I get 4+ years per battery on my Shovel. Just 4 years now on my Fatboy and no sign of getting weak however I am watching it.  I get them at HD and always have them hooked up to a BT.  Its a ritual.  Park and plug in. The only time I unplug them (aside from riding DUH) is when I am working on them.  I am a big proponent of the Battery Tenders.
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

dirtymike

December 03, 2018, 08:52:23 AM #35 Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 09:47:21 AM by HV
I use a kicker, xxxx a battery, as long as i can get a spark thug xxxx will crank up. But mine runs everyday, not sitting in the heated garage.

76shuvlinoff

I found by rewiring the entire bike and installing a later two pin 32 amp stator and regulator my battery life went from 2 years to about 6.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

HotRodShovel

32 amp for many years also.  Waiting on a new 32amp Cycle Electric kit from a buddy who works 'someplace' and will get me $$ off.  Always wanted one of their kits.
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John