April 16, 2024, 12:24:57 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Fork Stem Nut Lock Tab

Started by dirtymike, November 21, 2018, 01:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtymike

Anybody use these anymore. Seems ever time I see one the tab is broke or bent. Whats the trick to getting them to stay still through the torque process. Dirty

76shuvlinoff

There's one on my 76, I put a later front end on it 5-6 years ago. I have not been in there for a long time but last I looked it was still in position and intact.  I will likely be taking it all apart in the next few months so I'll be getting another look.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Wiseguy

I've had my latest one on my trees for about six months, and never bent it over to one of the nut flats yet. The roads are pretty much pool table flat and smooth down here in south Florida, but most of my other hardware is loctited to keep all the parts together. Besides, I know that as soon as I bend the washer over, I'll find a reason to unbend it to screw around with something on the forks. Lame excuse, but it's the best I could come up with on short notice.

Bill
Once you know the facts, the answer will stand proud.

rigidthumper

Might try anti seize on the underside of the nut.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

dirtymike

anti seize on the underside of the nut, more slide. Every time i take one off its bent or ripped. Thanks Dirty

rigidthumper

Maybe a dab of valve grinding compound underneath, to keep it from spinning?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

JW113

I don't use any of sheet metal lock washers anywhere on the bike. That's "pre-loctite technology" to me. Couple drops of blue loctite, tighen, forget...

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

kink04fxd

If the tab is broken off, just tighten the nut and take a punch and smack the washer over the hole where the tab would have gone in.
2000 FLHTCI (now carb)<br />1982 FLH

Wiseguy

As long as you don't have a chrome top nut, it shouldn't loosen if tightened enough. As said earlier, a little blue loctite should keep it in place.

Bill
Once you know the facts, the answer will stand proud.

dirtymike

The lock washer (#17 page 2-25) with the tab bends down to lock the head bearing nut (#20) into place. Seems i have a pop when the front brakes are applied hard, i tend to ride a little fast for the populace here. Dirty

Burnout

Quote from: dirtymike on December 23, 2018, 07:33:17 AM
Seems i have a pop when the front brakes are applied hard

As I recall there should be a step on top of the preload nut that centers the upper tree on the stem.

Perhaps this is missing on yours and the upper tree is wobbling around?
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

dirtymike

The SM diagram (pg 2-25 fig 2-35) doesn't have a preload nut in the parts break brake down list. I think the head bearing nut(#20) need adjusting. I don't have any front end wobble. Dirty