April 24, 2024, 10:03:52 AM

News:

cv carb on my 75 shovelhead

Started by chopperbelly, December 15, 2018, 05:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chopperbelly

I put a CV carb on my '75 stock shovelhead. It starts and runs great but I can't get any top end out of it, maybe 65 MPH.

rigidthumper

Check the rubber diaphragm for a pin hole or pinch- that will keep the slide down, limiting speed/rpm under load.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Hossamania

With the air cover off and the bike running, twist the throttle briskly, the slide should lift. If not, see Rigidthumper's response.
If that is not the problem, check your petcock for flow, if you have an inline filter it may be causing problems, check your float.
What size is your main jet?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

76shuvlinoff

Sorry, have to ask. Top end speed was better before the CV right?

You'll get  it sorted, a CV40 was one of the better things I did for my 76.  Thinking about going back to it.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

chopperbelly

I'm running a 195 and a 48 for jets. I am very careful with the diaphragm when I put it together.

JW113

If the motor is more or less "stock", I think that's a bit too much main jet. The symptom you describe hints at that. I've got a CV on my '77, which is more or less "stock", and am using a 170 main. It will go as fast as you can tolerate the vibration in the bars, 100+.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

chopperbelly

I was wondering if it was too big, maybe getting too much fuel

xlfan

Might be a bit obvious, but do you get full throttle at the carbs throttle wheel?

Hossamania

Quote from: xlfan on December 16, 2018, 05:21:45 PM
Might be a bit obvious, but do you get full throttle at the carbs throttle wheel?

Good point, make sure the throttle is opening all the way to the stop.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hillside Motorcycle

Yep.
I'd check the vacuum piston rubber, and 50 pilot, 190 main for starters.
Reason for the large jets in a Shovel, is the fact that the head has such a poor signal.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

dirtymike

does your intake solid mount to CV carb or is it rubber boot.

chopperbelly

How about that back fire through the carb. I'm not a bad wrench but I really suck at carbs, always have.

PoorUB

Quote from: chopperbelly on December 24, 2018, 12:10:43 PM
How about that back fire through the carb. I'm not a bad wrench but I really suck at carbs, always have.

Are you getting backfire or cough through the carb? Usually means too lean.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

chopperbelly

I guess you'd call it a cough. So up on the idle jet?

Burnout

Only if it happens on a fully warmed up motor.

You can't make tuning decisions on a cold motor.
If you tune a cold motor it will be dead rich when hot.
You can get it close just going around the block.
The final changes need to be made over time and verified by checking fuel consumption.

It is normal for a cold motor to sneeze and wheeze.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

PoorUB

Quote from: chopperbelly on December 26, 2018, 08:06:14 AM
I guess you'd call it a cough. So up on the idle jet?

When does it happen? When rolling on the throttle from idle? Richen up the idle will help. A different needle with a smaller diameter at the top will help too.
But like the other post you need to be concerned about how it runs when warmed up. Cold don't matter, leave the enrichener out for another minute on warm up.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

chopperbelly

JW113

When does it cough, just off idle?

-JW

chopperbelly

mostly when I'm just puttin' in 2nd or 3rd. Going along slowly

JW113

So... steady speed, very light throttle? And it backfires as in kerBLAM out the exhaust, or more like a sneeze into the air cleaner?

chopperbelly

JW113

Sounds like lean on the low speed circuit. Here's a few things you can try.

Increase the pilot jet one size and see if cures the cough.

Closely inspect the transfer ports. They can get carboned up if the bike has been coughing back through the carb, and the problem gradually gets worse.

By the way, what is the outside air temp where you are? Trying to tune in cold weather can be tricky if not futile, depending on the bike.

-JW

dirtymike

does your intake solid mount to CV carb or is it rubber boot.

carioux2008

January 15, 2019, 07:57:28 PM #23 Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 08:02:49 PM by carioux2008
I didn't see it mentioned, but have you tried checking the plugs after one of your "65 MPH top speed runs?" That may tell you if your fat or lean and give you a direction to go. Cardboard brown is perfect, gray is lean, black is rich.
Could also be as the others have said, a restriction somewhere or an air leak.

MikeL

Had a problem with my 1980 shovel like mentioned. CV also 50 slow 195 main. It started out coughing then popping out carb. Found it was a swelled o-ring. Must of had some gas sitting in the manifold all the ethanol in gas these days deteriorated the o-rings and caused a lean condition.Also the popping singed the o-rings and the slide diaphragm.
If the coughing /popping isn't stopped with a 50 slow jet. I would check your fly weights and see if there stuck and then check those intake o-rings.

MIKE