April 19, 2024, 01:28:34 PM

News:

1983 Shovelhead questions

Started by waltcentral, December 27, 2018, 01:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waltcentral

I am awaiting the arrival of a 1983 FLH. My first Shovel since 1982. Can't wait.
Can anyone tell me what is meant by commonized tapered flywheels?  I am thinking they were prepping for the EVO, will this bike have the evo wheels?
In looking here it was good news to find the oil pump and lifter blocks were different.
Thanks for any reply and thanks for the info.
Walt

JW113

OK I am no expert on this, know enough to be dangerous. The "commonized" 6 degree tapers in the crank pin was introduced around 1982, I think they also did some relocation of the oil holes. What is "common" about any of that is beyond me. The change in 1983, which also carried over in the the Evo motors, was the front con rod with the dog leg in it at the bottom. The '82 and earlier front con rod could be installed either direction, the '83 & later has to go on to the crank pin in one orientation, with the dog leg toward the front of the motor.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

waltcentral

Thanks. Over on the Shovelhead Forum I have heard a number of people say the  EVO bottom was smoother.  Cant wait to see how this bike runs. Buying sight unseen, the seller has a very good rep.

JW113

It all depends on how the bottom end was built. My shovel is a LOT smoother than my softail Evo, which is why I've got the Evo torn apart right now to get the bottom end balanced. At the end of the day, there is very little that's significantly different between the Shovelhead and Evo bottom end.

-JW

david lee

HotRodShovel

Best of luck Walt on the new Shovel.  Post some pics so we can drool!!
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

76shuvlinoff

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Hillside Motorcycle

A properly balanced crankshaft, is very smooth.
We use 60% as the age-old S&S standard, using S&S Master Balancing Tooling.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

JW113

Agree, I think the key word there is "properly". An indie shop is going to take a lot more time on a balance job than the factory, who is cranking product out and is working to "acceptable toleranaces" rather than dead nuts on.

-JW

Hillside Motorcycle

Care being taken to strickly adhere to S&S crankshaft worksheet balancing procedures.
Did 2 last week alone.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Buglet

What the average time involve to balance a set of flywheels.