April 24, 2024, 02:22:20 PM

News:

Joe Hunt Magneto

Started by hd76fxlr, December 28, 2018, 08:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hd76fxlr

Bought this 70 later W/Automatic Advance Kit. It is used ; shows wear on drive gear and cam drive gear.
Any one run one of these and have any experience with wear patterns ?
Is this normal wear for these units? Unit itself looks nice ; not all scratched or beat up.
Points are burnt up and I feel that this is the only set that has been in here.
Probably no more than a few thousand miles ???
I plan to get new gears if I decide to keep it. Any advise greatly appreciated .    Thanks Charlie

hd76fxlr

Hybredhog

People either lov'em or hate 'em. A lot of the used units out there probably have weak magnets, and got sent down the road & require being sent back for a rebuild. If it was me, I'd go single fire electronic, a lot more dependable & hotter.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

turboprop

Quote from: hd76fxlr on December 28, 2018, 08:32:02 AM
Bought this 70 later W/Automatic Advance Kit. It is used ; shows wear on drive gear and cam drive gear.
Is this normal wear for these units? Unit itself looks nice ; not all scratched or beat up.
I plan to get new gears if I decide to keep it. Any advise greatly appreciated .    Thanks Charlie

I ran those on a couple of bikes many years ago. Cant think of a single reason to run them now. Much better solutions out there. IMO, those units are not worth the cost of the new gears.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

cheech

Quote from: turboprop on January 02, 2019, 02:03:33 PM

I ran those on a couple of bikes many years ago. Cant think of a single reason to run them now. Much better solutions out there. IMO, those units are not worth the cost of the new gears.

Lol, Because all the wacky old timers swear a battery and electronic ignition is going to leave them stranded!  :wtf:

turboprop

Quote from: cheech on January 02, 2019, 08:25:52 PM
Quote from: turboprop on January 02, 2019, 02:03:33 PM

Lol, Because all the wacky old timers swear a battery and electronic ignition is going to leave them stranded!  :wtf:

I cannot count the number of times I have had to fix a buddies stupid points thing while parked next to the highway. Not kidding.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

PC_Hater

I've owned a couple of bikes with a magneto over the last 40 years. Keep on eye on the points and they are fine.
My 45 chop uses a Joe Hunt magneto.
Piston engine aircraft still use magnetos.
Fit it, check the points every now and then and ride it.

Building a fire-breathing monster? Use the best programmable electronic ignition you can find.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S