April 20, 2024, 08:09:17 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Gaskets

Started by dusty1, February 03, 2019, 04:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dusty1

Needing some opinions on the best Cylinder base and rocker box  gaskets to use. I've always used fiber gaskets with spray on copper with good results. I"m thinking about trying metal gaskets though.

JW113

I'm pretty much a Foamet junkie these days. James or Cometic. And MLS for the heads.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

sfmichael

I've never used base gaskets, only Twin Cam experience here but factory HD and Cometic have worked well for me.

Sounds to me like fiber / composition gaskets with copper coat would be a good choice on the base gaskets.

Life-long automotive tech and I'm a fan of copper coat.
Colorado Springs, CO.

76shuvlinoff

The last time I had this S&S longblock "shovel" apart I used Cometic base gaskets, Cometic MLS on the heads and James metal with the raised bead on the rockers.  This was 12-13 years ago, I estimate 20-23,000 miles. No leaks yet.

Some say yes, some say no, but I did heat cycle and retorque mine.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

MikeL

Cometic metal and copper coat for me.

MIKE

Burnout

Since Cometic MLS gaskets are coated with a PVC(?) coating that cold flows under pressure I do not use(see any need) for any supplemental sealing products.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

dusty1

I think i'll try the James foamet gaskets. I had ordered  a pair of fiber gaskets, i got two front gaskets. :wtf: