March 28, 2024, 03:18:53 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

O ring for 4 speed trans

Started by a_disalvo, June 15, 2017, 11:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a_disalvo

I recall quite a few years ago Harley came out with a replacement gear or shaft that had an "O" ring built into it to stop oil leaks in the 4 speed trans. Anyone know the part # for it??? Thanks, Frank

tmwmoose

Its the main drive gear 35067- 84 according to Tedds Vtwin I thought it was -82

billbuilds

I'm not sure that it was Harley, pretty sure that it was an innovative individual who happened to be a machinist. The O-ring is located in the main drive gear spacer. There are atleast three different main drive gear spacers depending on the year of the tranny. HTT member saddlebagrail makes them so send him a PM and he should be able to hook you up. If you Google "Harley 4-speed main drive gear spacer" and scroll down a bit you will find saddlegagrail's PDF.  I'm not sure that it's w/in HTT policy for me to post a link here so I won't. Bill

Reddog74usa

You can also find him on ebay and shovelheadusa.com I have one in my 77 FXE. Trans does not leak one drop  :beer: :up:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

mike1969flh

Used his specs to have my spacer machined. Great fix. Had to buy like 10 o-rings to get one, so if you need one, pm me and I'll send you a couple.

a_disalvo

Thanks for the info! Mike, do you have a copy of the spec for the machine work? I have a friend who could do it when I take it apart. Thanks, Frank

FSG

QuoteI'm not sure that it's w/in HTT policy for me to post a link here so I won't. Bill

Not a problem.  Ray's spacer has been discussed on HTT before.

Finally a cure for leaking 4 speed tranny

https://youtu.be/Xsp238XVLgM

greybeard_541

I have one of his units and it DOES stop the leak!!!

Reddog74usa

I'm running one also. Works great
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

dbdevkc

Andrews Products make a final drive gear that is machined for an o-ring. I just got one as I am rebuilding a 4-speed. If you watch/listen to Tatro Machine (on youtube), he has a series of like 10 videos where he is rebuilding a 4-speed and he talks about this - and the spacer macined for the o-ring. He says one guy is doing it right (I assume that this is the one), but that even that one could have the tendency to collapse the spacer a bit when torquing it down because of the machining done.
KC