April 19, 2024, 03:03:34 AM

News:

Venting fix?

Started by cmashark, February 26, 2019, 06:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

topcat3815

Use some Locktite 567 pipe thread sealant just snug it up, do not over tighten it or you will be sorry. Pipe threads are on a taper. The 567 will hold plenty with no leaks.

1workinman

Quote from: topcat3815 on March 21, 2019, 06:00:04 PM
Use some Locktite 567 pipe thread sealant just snug it up, do not over tighten it or you will be sorry. Pipe threads are on a taper. The 567 will hold plenty with no leaks.
Yea that what we have at work, I used it on different fittings works ok . I know no one will approve of this but I was given a nitrogen regulator that I was going to use to pressure test ac systems with around 300 or so similar to what I seen cat do on there equipment . The regulator had been damaged when some one had messed up the female pipe threads in the housing and I tried some sealer and of course the 3000 psi just blew it out . Finally I said F it and red lock tight applied to both surfaces and turned the regulator where the lock tight would not run out let it set up . Tested it no leaks held 3000 psi even with the messed up threads .

No Cents

Jim...here is a picture of the finished vent line into the oil filler hole with the AN fittings.
Larry...I didn't even try the O-ring. I took your advice and went with the thread sealant.   :up:

[attach=0] 
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

kd

Nice job Ray.  Well worth the few dollar expense for the fittings to make it look so good.  :up:
KD

VDeuce

Nice job! I have that same dipstick temp gauge on my M8, so would probably opt for drilling and tapping as you have.

Did you install a check valve?

No Cents

thanks kd.  :up:  I did clean the excess thread sealant off after I took the picture. It looks better without that white sealant ring around the adapter.
   I do not have a check valve in it right now...but I do have one on order that will be here next week.

Kllongbrake

Nice dipstick Ray, can I get some info on it?
I'm curious what the PCV is going to do for this vent kit. If a one way is installed then why the filter at the end of the hose. It's not going to be sucking in air so why do we care if it's filtered? Certainly I'm missing something. Serious question btw. No smartassing.

FSG

yeppers nice job   :up:

QuoteIt looks better without that white sealant ring around the adapter.

run a black sharpie over whatever is left

Hilly13

Quote from: Kllongbrake on March 22, 2019, 06:48:29 PM
I'm curious what the PCV is going to do for this vent kit. If a one way is installed then why the filter at the end of the hose. It's not going to be sucking in air so why do we care if it's filtered? Certainly I'm missing something. Serious question btw. No smartassing.

Can't speak for Ray but over here it would be to stop some horrible critter making a mud nest in the end of the hose and blocking it up, also ATM minute there is no valve so a filter prevents any Ingres of foreign material however unlikely.
Just because its said don't make it so

Kllongbrake

Quote from: Hilly13 on March 23, 2019, 12:47:11 AM

Can't speak for Ray but over here it would be to stop some horrible critter making a mud nest in the end of the hose and blocking it up, also ATM minute there is no valve so a filter prevents any Ingres of foreign material however unlikely.
Thanks Hilly, hadn't thought about critters making a home. So why the one way valve though if we've got a filter on the end? Not singling our Ray's vent kit either. I've seen another for sale that has a filter and a PCV inline. My real question is why the PCV?

kd

Quote from: Kllongbrake on March 23, 2019, 05:55:03 AM

Thanks Hilly, hadn't thought about critters making a home. So why the one way valve though if we've got a filter on the end? Not singling our Ray's vent kit either. I've seen another for sale that has a filter and a PCV inline. My real question is why the PCV?

Overkill, maybe feelgood value?  :nix:   We've had a good discussion here about using "PCV" valves as one way devices in our atmospheric venting systems.  FWIW the "PCV" one way devices are NOT positive devices that fully block flow.  They are designed to have a minimal bypass.  For that reason they will not properly substitute for a crankcase (or head) breather.    :potstir:
KD

rbabos

Quote from: kd on March 23, 2019, 06:13:02 AM
Quote from: Kllongbrake on March 23, 2019, 05:55:03 AM

Overkill, maybe feelgood value?  :nix:   We've had a good discussion here about using "PCV" valves as one way devices in our atmospheric venting systems.  FWIW the "PCV" one way devices are NOT positive devices that fully block flow.  They are designed to have a minimal bypass.  For that reason they will not properly substitute for a crankcase (or head) breather.    :potstir:
Correct. They have calibrated leak rates to match the engine apps.
Ron

HDDOC

Lost here, The oil fill vent is to relieve pressure from the oil tank and how much pressure is in the oil tank ?   Thanks Doc
2019 Tri Glide

cmashark

Quote from: HDDOC on March 24, 2019, 08:05:09 AM
Lost here, The oil fill vent is to relieve pressure from the oil tank and how much pressure is in the oil tank ?   Thanks Doc

I would imagine it would extremely close to the pressure in the crankcase since they are connected by a vent passage, a feed passage, and a return passage.
2021 FLHXSE

joes124

Kllongbrake,

I too had never seen a transmission oil temp dipstick gauge...an hour of web surfing and I found this:  https://www.jescustomaccents.com/Air-filled-Temp-Tranny-Gauge-2007-Pres-all-FLs-Tranny-Temp-Gauge.htm;jsessionid=FB44F6DF5C69F00B7DF1C75D7589B953.p3plqscsfapp004 from jescustomaccents.com (no spaces).

-Joe

No Cents

Quote from: HDDOC on March 24, 2019, 08:05:09 AM

In my case...my 124"er does build a little higher crankcase pressure than what a stock engine does. As TR stated in his video...they do this crankcase vent mod on every 107" or larger build they do to release any extra crankcase pressure build up. It makes perfect sense to me.

kd

Quote from: joes124 on March 24, 2019, 10:36:25 AM
Kllongbrake,

I too had never seen a transmission oil temp dipstick gauge...an hour of web surfing and I found this:  https://www.jescustomaccents.com/Air-filled-Temp-Tranny-Gauge-2007-Pres-all-FLs-Tranny-Temp-Gauge.htm;jsessionid=FB44F6DF5C69F00B7DF1C75D7589B953.p3plqscsfapp004 from jescustomaccents.com (no spaces).

-Joe

Joe, here's a thread that has been running in the General section for the last 6 days you may find interesting.

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=108218.0
KD

joes124

1workinman

Quote from: No Cents on March 22, 2019, 01:18:52 PM
  Jim...here is a picture of the finished vent line into the oil filler hole with the AN fittings.
Larry...I didn't even try the O-ring. I took your advice and went with the thread sealant.   :up:

[attach=0,msg1288453]
Looks good , I going to do that to my Street Glide , I installed the SS checks as Ed suggested . I will go back and order the parts that you did for your bike . I have my bike on the lift now to do some maintenance on and change a couple of things that I been wanting to do for a while.  I looked at my exhaust and I think I going to have to remove then or come up with some long drill bits . .thanks for the pictures nice work

HDDOC

Quote from: kd on March 24, 2019, 10:57:33 AM
Kllongbrake,

-Joe

Joe, here's a thread that has been running in the General section for the last 6 days you may find interesting.

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=108218.0

Thank You
2019 Tri Glide

HDDOC

Kllongbrake,

-Joe

Makes sense to me  Thanks    Always relied on the breathers to vent the sump.
2019 Tri Glide

Kllongbrake

cmashark

So I ordered one of the vent pieces from A1 and received it today.  I put it on without the filter and started the bike.  I actually surprised how much air moves through the it, in both directions. Not much pressure, but plenty of flow.
2021 FLHXSE

cmashark

So, it's only been 300 miles since I installed this stealth air cleaner.  A little wet.  I wiped it down and will recheck it in another 300 miles to see what it looks like with this M3 vent. 

I didn't like the way the M3 was installed by A1.  I really didn't want something bouncing around hitting the bottom of my tank while I rode around, so I cut the hose and put the filter by the ABS module.
2021 FLHXSE

cmashark

2021 FLHXSE