March 28, 2024, 01:08:10 PM

News:

how noticable

Started by Ironheadmike, February 20, 2019, 07:56:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironheadmike

I swapped out all my pulleys . In the primary I went with 24T comp and a 37T clutch . The drive I went to a 30T trans and a 70T wheel . Then I installed a baker OD6 gearing . Will I notice any extra pull on acceleration  and riding ? I rarely get over 65 being where I live there isn't any interstate so I'm not very concerned with the RPM's , The bike is a 98 Heritage Springer that has head work 10.2 comp with a W6 cam .

JW113

I believe your overall drive will be going from 2.94:1 to 3.60:1. Which means your 1st gear will change from 9.52:1 to 11.66, or about 20% higher. Ever drive an old 4 speed pickup truck with granny gear 1st? I am pretty sure you will be able to notice the change.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Ironheadmike

You are really close . According to night rider  I'll be at 3.56 . I just don't like the 2.94 gearing . It seems really soft or gutless and the final would be about 500 rpm higher at 65 mph . Which is fine with me considering that my 92 springer has 3.37 . Also I got 50mpg with my 92 and barely  40 with my 98 and both bikes have the same build . So I was thinking these bikes like to run 3-3200 rpm to be most efficient  .

Ohio HD

Which OD six? They have a couple of optional 1st and 6th gears.

Ironheadmike

I have a 2.94 1st and a .86 6th

Ohio HD

If you look at the columns with HD five speed and to the right of those the Jim's OD six, it has the 2.94 first and 0.86 sixth.

You'll have a slightly lower first gear, and sixth will be a little higher than the HD five speed fifth gear. Both examples with the gearing you mentioned.

[attach=0]

JW113

Yes I can see how the stock '98 gearing with an overdrive trans would be way way too tall in top gear. My '92 is set up with a 61T rear pulley, so is 2.92:1 but with stock 5 speed. I consider it more like a 4 speed with overdrive! Am not that familiar with the Baker transmissions, it's nice that you can tailor the gears though. I mistakenly assuming that the bottom five were the same as the HD 5 speed.

-JW

Burnout

I bought a Baker OD6, I hate it. Too much overdrive and it makes too much heat.

The "hot" setup I now realize is the DD6 which reduces the primary reduction for high gear and has a lower first to get it rolling.

Another issue I ran into was that I had a Posi-Shift on the 5 speed to fix over rotation.
The OD6 does not have this feature (and has the over rotation problem) with no fix available as it does not use the 5 speed pawl.

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

david lee

seems to me if one dosent understand ratios even with a chart its just all guess work that can make things worse

Deye76

" I rarely get over 65 "
Why a overdrive then.   :scratch:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Hossamania

February 22, 2019, 06:20:43 AM #10 Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 06:25:13 AM by Hossamania
Quote from: Deye76 on February 22, 2019, 05:01:44 AM
" I rarely get over 65 "
Why a overdrive then.   :scratch:

I was wondering that too. I guess I'm a little confused on what is trying to be accomplished here.
Depending on the situation, I am often in 4th gear for extended periods of time at 65 mph on a five speed tranny. It does not hurt my fuel economy, and seems to help actually, as I am not twisting the throttle as far to maintain speed or accelerate, though I do run a carb, not efi.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

JW113

Add me to that list. I guess I'm just out of touch with the times, but I haven't really understood why a big inch motor with wide power band needs 6 and 7 gears. That's what they put behind 2-stroke Kawasakies.

-JW

rigidthumper

Some guys like to shift?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Burnout

Donny Peterson did a substantial write up regarding cruise rpm on the HD.
Many it seems think that it is easier on the motor to run lower rpm.
However Donny found that you are more likely to pound the bearings.

I installed an OD6 for extended riding 90 - 100 mph.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Hossamania

I agree that lower rpms aren't necessarily better. I think that mindset comes from driving automatic transmissions. I don't think many realize that automatic transmissions downshift to keep the rpms in the right range when using cruise control, such as when starting to drive up a hill, or bucking some wind. Or just driving in general.
How many times has it been asked which cam to use for cruising two up in 6th gear so a downshift isn't needed to go up a hill, or just maintain 60 mph on the hiway? Answer? There isn't one. Use the right gear for the situation.

So, I ask the OP, what are you trying to accomplish with gearing?

david lee

Quote from: JW113 on February 22, 2019, 08:41:42 AM
Add me to that list. I guess I'm just out of touch with the times, but I haven't really understood why a big inch motor with wide power band needs 6 and 7 gears. That's what they put behind 2-stroke Kawasakies.

-JW
had one of those 500 tripples years ago.the quickest bike ive ridden

Deye76

Quote from: JW113 on February 22, 2019, 08:41:42 AM

-JW

I agree. My FXR (fairing & bags) came with 3.37 primary gearing ok for a heavy touring bike fully loaded 2 up. When I changed from the OE 24 engine/37 clutch, to late model 25 engine/36 clutch assy., my primary ratio changed to 3.15. With a 113" motor I went from 5th gear at 60 mph, to 4th gear, cruising the 2 lanes. Now I don't  shift into 5th until 70mph. If I wanted to lower highway rpm's more, a simple 70T OE to a 65T rear pulley is a simple inexpensive swap. = poor mans 6spd.

Ironheadmike

I'm dong this because I really like  the 3.37 gearing over the 2.92 . AS I said I rarely get over 65mph . But once or twice a year I do a long road trip on the freeways And I felt the OD would be better when I was running 80-85 mph . This way I can keep my rpms around 3000

Hossamania

Got ya. I prefer the 3:37 over the 3:15 that mine came with, I imagine the bigger jump you're making will be quite noticeable, it should solve any sluggishness you were feeling.

Ohio HD

Quote from: Ironheadmike on February 23, 2019, 02:24:37 AM
I'm dong this because I really like  the 3.37 gearing over the 2.92 . AS I said I rarely get over 65mph . But once or twice a year I do a long road trip on the freeways And I felt the OD would be better when I was running 80-85 mph . This way I can keep my rpms around 3000

It makes sense to me. The 3.59 gearing with a stock HD five speed, 1:1 fifth gear, your RPM's are about 3,500 at 75 MPH. Add the OD at 0.86:1 and the RPM's drop by about 500.

Deye76

After post #17, I now understand better. On my old Roadglide, I was a fan and ran 3.37 primary and a 6spd OD. It was primarily a long distant bike. If your doing twice annually long trips, then worth the $$ for what your doing. Having said that, my lightweight FXR won't be doing 1500 miles in 2 days. So gearing the 5 spd is a lot more cost effective. Sounds like you have a good plan. 

Hillside Motorcycle

3.37 is a great overall gear ratio....a bit hot-rod biased, but a couple more rpms never hurt.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Dogbone45ACP

I second the 3.37 gearing. I changed my '06 Ultra to it and love it.