April 26, 2024, 02:54:21 AM

News:

MLS head gasket

Started by spdrcr, January 08, 2019, 02:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spdrcr

Looking for a .050 Thick x 4.00 bore Cometic MLS head gasket.

jam65

They make them to order anyway. Give them a call.

turboprop

Quote from: spdrcr on January 08, 2019, 02:55:00 PM
Looking for a .050 Thick x 4.00 bore Cometic MLS head gasket.

I bet your local indi can get them. Where have you looked?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

spdrcr

I looked on the Cosmetic site. It's the most user friendly. I didn't see a .050 thick 4.00 bore.

kd

Call them.  They will build to your spec if they have the material at no extra fee.  Can't beat that.
KD

doctorevil

They have alot of gaskets that are not listed and  i know they make .051 in most cyl dimensions

Hillside Motorcycle

Thickest 4" we stock is .040".
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

rigidthumper

If you are adjusting for positive deck height, another option is to use the standard .030" head gasket, and then a .020" base gasket.
https://www.cometic.com/c-1289531-v-twin-cruiser-base-gaskets.html
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

kd

Quote from: rigidthumper on January 10, 2019, 05:42:54 AM
If you are adjusting for positive deck height, another option is to use the standard .030" head gasket, and then a .020" base gasket.

:agree:   Adjusting from below with a base gasket is doable even if you have to make / modify the standard size. It would also work for adjusting compression. This way you get to keep the desirable .030 quench dimension too.  Myself and at least one other member here added a few thou to a base gasket. I used Vellum cotton paper (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vellum) and used an aviation sealant like Yamabond to seal them together. This type of adhesive does not add to the stack and seals the base up very nicely.
KD

PoorUB

Cometic will cut about anything  in a gasket for a reasonable price. My R1 had  a big bore kit and would need a larger bore, .120" thick gasket. Cometic quoted a price that was  less than the stock gasket  from Yamaha.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

kd

Quote from: PoorUB on January 10, 2019, 08:04:01 AM
Cometic will cut about anything  in a gasket for a reasonable price. My R1 had  a big bore kit and would need a larger bore, .120" thick gasket. Cometic quoted a price that was  less than the stock gasket  from Yamaha.

:agree:  I agree. My experience is that they need to have the right dimensions of material to assemble the gasket wafers.  In some cases they may not be able to hit the exact dimension but will come close. Phoning them and discussing will open up more options than the catalogue.  Speaking of the catalogue, they have a special edition called Performance Powersports - V Twin that is more specific than their regular offering. I have both and there is a more focused selection.
KD

nosjunkie

Quote from: kd on January 10, 2019, 06:49:40 AM
Quote from: rigidthumper on January 10, 2019, 05:42:54 AM

:agree:   Adjusting from below with a base gasket is doable even if you have to make / modify the standard size. It would also work for adjusting compression. This way you get to keep the desirable .030 quench dimension too.  Myself and at least one other member here added a few thou to a base gasket. I used Vellum cotton paper (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vellum) and used an aviation sealant like Yamabond to seal them together. This type of adhesive does not add to the stack and seals the base up very nicely.

Adding material under the cylinder will increase the quench the same as a thicker head gasket. You are moving the head away from the crank centerline.
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

spdrcr

I am trying some different CC heads and want to adjust the CCP with the gasket.

Hillside Motorcycle

Keep in mind, the farther the head from the piston, the more detonation-prone an engine can become.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

N-gin

My I ask why such a thick gasket?
If lowering for compression why not get different cam, would be easier. Just a thought.
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

spdrcr

I want to run an Andrews 48 cam on a 110 with 86cc stock heads, That have been DIY ported and polished.

rigidthumper

Quote from: spdrcr on January 17, 2019, 05:10:01 AM
I want to run an Andrews 48 cam on a 110 with 86cc stock heads, That have been DIY ported and polished.
Did you unshroud or sink the valves while you were in there? Final CC numbers of the chambers? How far down the hole is the pistons? Flat tops or S&S +.75cc pistons? Shooting for #200 CCP? With a ~9.6:1 corrected CR, a good tune is necessary, but very doable.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

spdrcr

Flat Top SE pistons .007 in the hole. It's the SE 110 bolt on kit. Yes around 200 ccp and 9.6