March 28, 2024, 01:32:59 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Apple Carplay on 2019 Roadglide Ultra hack?

Started by Little Al, November 22, 2018, 11:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Little Al

So I have my new Roadglide a few days now and tried to use the Apple Carplay feature. Following the quick start guide it would only work with the headset plugged in. Since I hate having on a headset and have no intention of using any feature that requires a mic or headset I was hoping someone had a hack to use carplay without the headset plugged in. I prefer the navigation app on my iPhone rather than HD's and I have other apps I use for special ride navigation. I'd also like to see (but never answer) incoming phone calls to know if the call was important enough to stop and call the person back (like my boss, lol).
In any case I have an old broken headset that I could use just the plug from if anyone knows what pins I could jumper to fool the bike into thinking a headset is plugged in. I wouldn't mind just having the small plug plugged into the bike. Or maybe there's a software hack of some kind?
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions
Little Al
Little Al

FurryOne

If CarPlay can be enabled with a wired headset via an H-D 7-pin DIN plug, then most likely the Boom system is looking for some kind of connection between the speakers & ground, or the Mic and ground.  I'd really have to take an old IMC wired headset to my local dealer to see if that works.  If it does, then it might be possible to enable CarPlay by adding a 1K resistor between pins 2/3 or 5/6 (Left & Right speaker circuits, or a 10K between 4/1 (Mic circuit).  These would allow a small current draw in their circuits and possibly trigger CarPlay, but unless someone tries a wired headset it's all just conjecture.

Little Al

You sound like you have a clue, unlike me who is clueless, lol
so when are you taking that old headset to your dealer?  :up:
Little Al

FurryOne

Quote from: Little Al on November 25, 2018, 05:50:40 AM
so when are you taking that old headset to your dealer?

Well, I wish that were true... I stopped at my local dealer today, wired headset in hand.  They had a '19 Ultra on the floor with the 7-pin DIN factory installed.  We tried for over half an hour to get CarPlay to enable without luck.  The wired headset was recognized, and would even make calls out via my iPhone, but no CarPlay displayed.

FurryOne

November 25, 2018, 11:48:04 AM #4 Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 06:40:53 PM by FurryOne
Quote from: FurryOne on November 25, 2018, 11:35:51 AM
Quote from: Little Al on November 25, 2018, 05:50:40 AM
so when are you taking that old headset to your dealer?

Well, I wish that were true... I stopped at my local dealer today, wired headset in hand.  They had a '19 Ultra on the floor with the 7-pin DIN factory installed.  We tried for over half an hour to get CarPlay to enable without luck.  The wired headset was recognized, and would even make calls out via my iPhone, but no CarPlay displayed.

Ryan Urlacher has a review of the GTS system on YouTube, and says that the 7-pin wired headset should work fine with CarPlay, but it didn't for the time we were trying to get it enabled.  So it may indeed require the WHiM and a Wireless headset to work.  The jury is still out here.  I plan to go back and try my Sena 30K to see if it pairs and enables CarPlay in the next few days.

Adding a bit of additional info - the version of CarPlay H-D uses requires a wired connection to your iPhone via the USB plug.  That's pretty stupid since the 6.5GT & GTS already access many of the iPhone functions via a Bluetooth connection.  WTF was Harley thinking?  Two years ago CarPlay used wired connections - now most cars are coming out with WIRELESS CarPlay.  That's H-D,... a day late and a dollar short - just like their years-old 20S EVO wireless Bluetooth-only headset.  The '19 model we worked with had MY19 maps.

Little Al

Furry, Just to give you a little info in your quest, which by the way, I greatly appreciate!
Mine is a 6 day old Roadglide Ultra. If I have my phone plugged into the USB port as soon as I plug my HD headset (the one that came with the bike) the radio icon turns into the carplay icon then my home screen from my iPhone displays on the bike.
I haven't tried the HD headset from my '08 ultra but I'm assuming it would work. they both have 7 pins. As an experiment I plugged the coiled wire only into the bikes plug and it doesn't work, once I plug the other end into the headset it works. The newer HD headsets have a plug on both ends of the coiled wire, the older one is hard wired into the headset side.
Little Al

FurryOne

Quote from: Little Al on November 25, 2018, 06:58:06 PM
Furry, Just to give you a little info in your quest, which by the way, I greatly appreciate!
Mine is a 6 day old Roadglide Ultra. If I have my phone plugged into the USB port as soon as I plug my HD headset (the one that came with the bike) the radio icon turns into the carplay icon then my home screen from my iPhone displays on the bike.

Thanks!  We followed the instructions that came with the bike - Set Projection: ON, Plug-in iPhone (6S+) to the USB, and the phone symbol should change to a CarPlay symbol,... but it didn't no matter what we did.  I had a wired headset from IMC plugged in all the time.

QuoteI haven't tried the HD headset from my '08 ultra but I'm assuming it would work. they both have 7 pins. As an experiment I plugged the coiled wire only into the bikes plug and it doesn't work, once I plug the other end into the headset it works. The newer HD headsets have a plug on both ends of the coiled wire, the older one is hard wired into the headset side.

Maybe H-D's headset has a modification?  In Ryan Urlacher's video he states that IMC's wired headset works with CarPlay, but it didn't on the bike we tried.

Little Al

I've been riding for 51 years this year, the last 26 exclusively on HD's. There is NO doubt in my mind Harley has incorporated something to make sure you can ONLY use their headset. I have an old HD headset that doesn't work, I'm gonna try that one and if it works I'll cut the headset wire and play around with the resistors as you suggested in your earlier post.
I'll let you know what happens.
Since you do seem to know something about this stuff and I don't, do you think I could blow something doing that experimenting? I don't want to blow out something on a brand new bike!
Little Al

Hossamania

I have no info on your particular setup, but I do know that just randomly cross-connectimg wires to see if you can make it work is not a good idea, especially, as you say, on a new bike. The function of each wire needs to be identified, and then a safe plan made to jump wires together to get the desired outcome.
If there is a power wire there, and you hook it to an audio circuit, that might just be the end to all your fun. And no warranty at that point.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

FurryOne

Quote from: Hossamania on November 26, 2018, 06:24:52 PM
I have no info on your particular setup, but I do know that just randomly cross-connectimg wires to see if you can make it work is not a good idea, especially, as you say, on a new bike. The function of each wire needs to be identified, and then a safe plan made to jump wires together to get the desired outcome.
If there is a power wire there, and you hook it to an audio circuit, that might just be the end to all your fun. And no warranty at that point.

Excellent points.  I do realize that it's been probably 20 years since I did real electronics R&D, but I think I still posess a rudimentary grasp on how things work and can read a schematic - ie: Figure 10-14. Main Harness FLH (1 of 3) 2017 Touring (with Fairing).  I also realize that speaker outputs and mic inputs expect a certain impedance range, which is why I mentioned resistor values instead of some "random cross-connecting wires."  Of course, as I also mentioned, this was postulated on the IMC headset enabling CarPlay, which on the bike we tried, it didn't.

Little Al

good advice from you both about random wire crossing.
Been cold and shitty here in NYC and I don't have a garage. as soon as I get a warm day I'll get into this a bit more and let you know what I find. It should be pretty easy, taking apart my older headset, to figure out power, speaker & mic pinouts.
This stuff isn't my long suit but I do own an ohm meter, and even know how to use it, lol
Little Al

FurryOne

I have my 7-pin DIN microphone adapter built, and it works great with my 6.5GT system.  I have also built a 7-pin DIN "Dummy" plug that shows a load across the MIC connection and a load across the speaker connections.  I hope to try them out on a CarPlay system at the Dealer next week.

Desertwndrr

Quote from: FurryOne on December 28, 2018, 09:06:10 PM
I have my 7-pin DIN microphone adapter built, and it works great with my 6.5GT system.  I have also built a 7-pin DIN "Dummy" plug that shows a load across the MIC connection and a load across the speaker connections.  I hope to try them out on a CarPlay system at the Dealer next week.
I really hope that you aren't planning to try this on a bike that you don't own. 

FurryOne

Quote from: Desertwndrr on January 01, 2019, 07:28:13 AM

I really hope that you aren't planning to try this on a bike that you don't own.

Of course - that's the fun part.   :potstir:

rmc115

Just a fyi that may have been overlooked, the boom manual says the phone must be plugged into the usb port. I am in the auto industry and have found this to be true, but have seen some car models for 19 that advertise they have wireless carplay. I would try plugged in first if you were trying by wireless. Mike
00 Fatboy, 95"wood tw6, diamond cut,se 44mm  <br />20 Ultra Limited

m29g

Following for sure !!! Hope someone who is tech savvy can figure this out !!

FurryOne

Quote from: m29g on January 06, 2019, 06:57:06 AM
Following for sure !!! Hope someone who is tech savvy can figure this out !!

I took my DIN Plug mic and my DIN Dummy to my local dealer but he'd sold the last 2019 with a DIN plug equipped.  Had lots of 2018's on the floor, but what good is that?   :missed:

m29g

Keep at it bro, you'll help a lot of people if this gets figured out .

Uberjason

To those mentioning the IMC headset, I have two of them from a 2016 Ultra Limited I owned and they both worked great with the boom 6.5GT, but do not enable CarPlay on the 2019 Ultra Limited I now own.  The HD branded wired headset and mic (that came with the bike) work flawlessly with CarPlay.  Yes you can play the music thru the speakers.  I too would like to figure out a hack.  It appears in the DIN connector it's the red wire (#4) and black is ground.  As far as the new HD wired headset, it's pretty compact folded up.  I am thinking of just hiding it in a Crown Royal purple bag under a HD tank protector and plug it in for CarPlay so I can ride without a helmet.  Siri, don't give two S**ts about it on the road.  I just want CarPlay for navigation (in real time) and Apple Music. 

FurryOne

Quote from: Uberjason on January 10, 2019, 05:24:33 PM
To those mentioning the IMC headset, I have two of them from a 2016 Ultra Limited I owned and they both worked great with the boom 6.5GT, but do not enable CarPlay on the 2019 Ultra Limited I now own.  The HD branded wired headset and mic (that came with the bike) work flawlessly with CarPlay.

I bought IMC's for my '17SGS, and the first thing I noticed was while the audio came through and the mic worked with the GTS for commands, it didn't activate CarPlay.  Let's face it, there's only 3 circuits in the damned DIN plug - Microphone + & -, Left Speaker + & -, and Right Speaker + & -, and a shield, so they must be doing something to trigger the CarPlay.  My Dummy DIN plug simulates the impedance of the mic & speakers, and if that doesn't work...  Hold on a minute - there's a spare connection on the '17 models - Pin #7.  I wonder if on the '19 models there's a connection to that pin?  I'm going to have to visit my dealer and scrounge a look at the '19 manual - that may be the key!

FurryOne

Quote from: FurryOne on January 10, 2019, 06:58:53 PM
Hold on a minute - there's a spare connection on the '17 models - Pin #7.  I wonder if on the '19 models there's a connection to that pin?  I'm going to have to visit my dealer and scrounge a look at the '19 manual - that may be the key!

Cold water on that one - The part number for the 7-Pin DIN harness didn't change for the 2019 models, so it's not the extra pin.

FurryOne

Aaacccckkk!  Another posting!

I've been told that on the GTS system, if you have the WHiM enabled in software via the Digital Technician, you don't need a mic or the WHiM attached for CarPlay to work.  I guess it's a possibility, but I can't confirm it.

Anyone?

Little Al

Ok so I found the hack finally. Too bad it requires a trip to the dealer.
a buddy of mine found this on youtube, went to the dealer and they charged him a 1/2 hour of labor to do it. He said it literally took them about 4 minutes! But in any case his carplay now works on his 2019 Ultra without a headset.
Going to my stealer this week...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdTWz7MsP2g

Little Al

tomcat64

Quote from: FurryOne on February 17, 2019, 08:05:39 AM

I've been told that on the GTS system, if you have the WHiM enabled in software via the Digital Technician, you don't need a mic or the WHiM attached for CarPlay to work.  I guess it's a possibility, but I can't confirm it.

Anyone?

I believe that is true on 2019 GTS bikes, and I think Apple made HD change that on the 2020's..

JMHD

Quote from: tomcat64 on October 19, 2019, 07:14:57 AM
Quote from: FurryOne on February 17, 2019, 08:05:39 AM

Anyone?

I believe that is true on 2019 GTS bikes, and I think Apple made HD change that on the 2020's..
Just tried it this morning on a new 2020 and it works.