April 26, 2024, 07:13:52 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Hooking up a Softail

Started by SOCS, July 01, 2016, 06:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taz95dog

I have a 2002 fatboy. bike is running a avon 150.  what is the biggest tire I can run with a stock swing arm ?  I know i'll need a wider rim. thanks...bill... :beer:
home town va.bch., va. usn '68-'72

rigidthumper

We used to use an 18" x 5.5" wheel and an Avon 180 tire, after modifying the caliper and offsetting the pulley. Really filled the fender. Don't know if that tire is still available.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Ape-Hanger

Quote from: taz95dog on October 23, 2016, 07:52:48 AM
  I have a 2002 fatboy. bike is running a avon 150.  what is the biggest tire I can run with a stock swing arm ?  I know i'll need a wider rim. thanks...bill... :beer:
Shinko makes a soft compound 150 series tire, I put one on my ol ladys 2000 FX Springer, it does a good job hooking up!... Built 95" motor

westcomb

Any tire bigger than a 160 is going to take some work to fit ............ 160 is pretty tight!  :beer: a Shinko Hook up tire should do the job for you ........

taz95dog

thanks for the info, i'll have to look at what is involved in modifying the brake caliper on getting the pulley lined up. maybe the 160 is the way to go. lots of good info here... :up:
home town va.bch., va. usn '68-'72