April 19, 2024, 10:33:57 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2017 Flat Track Series

Started by jack6hd, September 27, 2016, 05:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack6hd

I, for one, am looking forward to the 2017 season. Some new format changes, along with the intro of a new factory sponsored Indian race team. 3 quality riders include Bryan Smith, Brad Baker and Jared Mees. Rebirth of the old "Indian Wrecking Crew" from the 40's and 50's. The bike they will ride is a race only model 750. It'll be interesting to see if Harley Davidson expands their team.
2015 FXDL

Hossamania

Would love to see them come back to the Twin Cities. Always like to see the competition expand, makes it fun for everybody.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

prodrag1320

Quote from: jack6hd on September 27, 2016, 05:32:46 PM
I, for one, am looking forward to the 2017 season. Some new format changes, along with the intro of a new factory sponsored Indian race team. 3 quality riders include Bryan Smith, Brad Baker and Jared Mees. Rebirth of the old "Indian Wrecking Crew" from the 40's and 50's. The bike they will ride is a race only model 750. It'll be interesting to see if Harley Davidson expands their team.

the Harley team was known as the "wrecking crew",not indian

SoonerSoftail

They had a stop in OKC last June. First time in years. They scraped the surface off of our mile horse race track and used it. Stands were packed and it's a pretty good sized venue. I assume with that turnout that they'll be back. I'll be there.

motorplex88

Yeah, OKC was a real blast. By the end of the day the bikes and riders looked as if they had been at Bonneville. Some folks were saying that Mees had the 750 Indian with him that day in the nose of his trailer. Don't know if it's true, but maybe a little testing was going on with it at some point. Yup, if they go again next year, I'll be there. :teeth:

mkd

flat track is alive and being restructured for the future. they better put rider safety as the forefront to their future plans! two young riders were killed in two seperate instances on the mile out in california last weekend. watched the races on fans choice and the track prep was "Potty mouth". that and they hurried the program up and didnt do the usual watering between races. they better get their head out of their ass. no excuses for these riders to be racing on sub par tracks. peoria tt this year was "Potty mouth" too! one rider seriously injured! track was rough,wspwecially in the corners where the creek runs under the track.

prodrag1320

flat tracked when I was a kid,bultaco`s & HD`s.its a gas!!

04 SE Deuce

Here's a link that's talks about what OP jack6hd mentioned in regards to Indian's 2017 wrecking crew as well as the 40's & 50's wrecking crew.
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2016/Sep/160926b.htm

Here's some links about the 2 racers (a 17yr old and a 20yr old girl) lost at Santa Rosa Mile last weekend and the track conditions,  all as mkd stated:
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2016/Sep/160927njnscx.htm

JD Beach's letter:
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2016/Sep/160927jdbeachop.htm

I wanted to go to Santa Rosa but the weekend didn't work out.  My dog had eye surgery and my friend's son had his 10th late model stock car race of the season,  he has won all 10...I make every race.

After hearing about the poor track conditions and a 17yr. old kid and 20yr. old girl losing their lives I'm glad I didn't go.

I didn't recognize either of these 2 young racers but it's always real sad to see/hear about someone who has so much life to live passing.  Reminds me of AMA/MotoAmerica road racer,  Dane Westby who died in a street bike accident in Tulsa on the way to his parents house.  I first met and talked to Dane at Miller in Salt Lake,  one the easiest to talk to, most lay back and genuinely nice guys (racer) that I've met.  He was one of the "Oklahoma flat track racers" that were tough competitors in AMA road racing.  He chatted with me as we walked across a large grass area in the infield at Laguna Seca the year before his accident.  When I asked him if he had a street bike and what is was, he told me about the ex-race SV650 that he rode,  modest ride for a professional racer,  it was a match for who he was.  For the few times we talked,  I still miss him.  -Rick

hbkeith

Quote from: prodrag1320 on September 28, 2016, 04:08:27 PM
Don't forget Triump  & Gary Nixon

prodrag1320

Quote from: hbkeith on September 30, 2016, 11:46:48 AM

I ment I had a bultaco & HD

hbkeith

Quote from: prodrag1320 on October 03, 2016, 08:59:42 AM
Quote from: hbkeith on September 30, 2016, 11:46:48 AM

I ment I had a bultaco & HD
Oh duh , I didn't read that one right

Nastytls

Dirt track is about as exciting as it gets. So happy to see Indian getting involved.

DMG is an absolute disgrace and have been from the get go. I can only hope there is a group out there that can take it over similar to MotoAmerica and save it from those NASCRAP rednecks.

04 SE Deuce

Quote from: Nastytls on December 11, 2016, 01:36:53 PM
Dirt track is about as exciting as it gets. So happy to see Indian getting involved.

DMG is an absolute disgrace and have been from the get go. I can only hope there is a group out there that can take it over similar to MotoAmerica and save it from those NASCRAP rednecks.

I agree,  motorcycle racing definitely isn't their thing wish they had never got involved.  My first thought back when they started to ruin AMA road racing was that DMG must stand for "Dumb Moves Guaranteed".

Indian will be tough with the racers they have and the power their bikes are making.  If the power delivery is friendly enough that the chassis can harness it to the ground along with well sorted handling,  it's possible Indian could win the championship right out of the box given no failures/DNF's.