April 19, 2024, 05:53:20 AM

News:

81 fxs with a kicker question

Started by egstandard, May 18, 2019, 06:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lee

Quote from: JW113 on June 13, 2019, 08:58:40 AM
If you are happy with it, fantastic. But then you don't know how much better it would run with a CV, now do you? Just sayin'!
:beer:

-JW
there so simple.10 minutes to remove and dismantle. now that youve mentioned BEER

One4Tone

..I have a 1975 fx...I used to start it first kick...10 out of 10...Then about 4 years ago It started giving me headaches. I had an old Mikuny round house style that had been on the bike 30 years...put on electrionic single fire ignition..ran good once it started...but srtill tough to kickstart, put on a brand new Bendix 9original style...seemed to help but still no satisfaction. Bought a used electric start..with all the related parts..luckily I had the right clutch housing with the ring gear, bought the solenoid, jackshaft, support braket for the starter, FXE battery box and Fxe battery It feels like a brand new bike, starts really well has that perfect idle. Yes it cost me a pretty penny to get it right...but I can not be happier. I got a few late model twinkis, a buell,...but this 75  pretty well original is my favourite right now...now I need forward controls,...does it ever end?...bottom line put on electric start...you will never be sorry..keep the kicker for looks and if ever ya wanna impress the ladies...

Hossamania

I hate to say it, but the kicker impresses the guys more than it impresses the girls.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

david lee

why kick when you can press a button

Hossamania

Quote from: david lee on June 20, 2019, 03:19:18 AM
why kick when you can press a button

Well, back in the day when electric start was an option, many did not order it because it wasn't "manly enough". Also, it added weight, cost, and complexity. Just like the early days of power windows on cars. Seems silly now, but old ideas die hard.

JW113

Not to mention that certain visceral satisfaction of kicking over a big twin, and having it actually fire up. Man over machine. Childish? Perhaps, but satisfying none the less.
:baby:

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

david lee

i agree mr hossamania & jw but never had a hd pre electric start and at 60 i dont plan on kick startn bikes now

One4Tone

...I have had to kick my bike before the electric foot..up to 40 times.(used to start first kick)..now that's bound to take a few miles off your ride. Granted I used to weigh 240...now down to 210..don't know if that's a factor...but my fx has some heavy compression...with my hands on the bars...the kicker will hold my weight..in the upper position..the bike is timed right, good new Bendix..(a little heavy on gas)..but she is fast for a shovel...Hoss..the guys will have a serious look on their face watching you kick start first kick...but the ladies put on a smile...I go for the smile :wink:

Hossamania

david lee

Quote from: One4Tone on June 20, 2019, 07:43:50 AM
...I have had to kick my bike before the electric foot..up to 40 times.(used to start first kick)..now that's bound to take a few miles off your ride. Granted I used to weigh 240...now down to 210..don't know if that's a factor...but my fx has some heavy compression...with my hands on the bars...the kicker will hold my weight..in the upper position..the bike is timed right, good new Bendix..(a little heavy on gas)..but she is fast for a shovel...Hoss..the guys will have a serious look on their face watching you kick start first kick...but the ladies put on a smile...I go for the smile :wink:
i prefer the button smile especially if your kickn 40 times

One4Tone

...not kickin at all now..push the button and it's instant potato idle..love it.. :baby:

guppymech

Quote from: One4Tone on June 19, 2019, 08:02:29 PM
..I have a 1975 fx...I used to start it first kick...10 out of 10...Then about 4 years ago It started giving me headaches. I had an old Mikuny round house style that had been on the bike 30 years...put on electrionic single fire ignition..ran good once it started...but srtill tough to kickstart, put on a brand new Bendix 9original style...seemed to help but still no satisfaction. Bought a used electric start..with all the related parts..luckily I had the right clutch housing with the ring gear, bought the solenoid, jackshaft, support braket for the starter, FXE battery box and Fxe battery It feels like a brand new bike, starts really well has that perfect idle. Yes it cost me a pretty penny to get it right...but I can not be happier. I got a few late model twinkis, a buell,...but this 75  pretty well original is my favourite right now...now I need forward controls,...does it ever end?...bottom line put on electric start...you will never be sorry..keep the kicker for looks and if ever ya wanna impress the ladies...
You might want to do a leakdown or cranking compression check of your engine. Kickstarting a Big Twin is kind of like a "canary in the coal mine" of engine condition.  A electric starter will fire a weak cylinder(s) whereas your foot won't.  Last year my Shovel went from a easy starter to a 40 kicker.  I did a leakdown test and the front exhaust valve was leaking, I couldn't tell anything was wrong once I got it running.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

One4Tone

...you might have a point...I'll check compression ..with electric start it's a 5 minute job..and more accurate...Motor was built over 20 years ago...sat many years..previous owner got nailed for impaired...then by the time he got his licence back the dog chewed the rubber footpegs and whatever wiring he could get at...

Burnout

Compression test will not show a small leak.

Anything less than 90# will start like a beyotch.

That should not stop the other cylinder from firing though and that will bring the speed up high enough that a weak cylinder will fire. That will get it running to get it where you can work on it, but it will eat it's self up if you continue to run it like that.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"