April 23, 2024, 08:02:04 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Right side foot shifter

Started by Sinker, January 13, 2019, 04:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinker

I am looking at buying an old Sportster with a right side toe shifter. I will be keeping my other bike with the shifter on the left toe. How hard is it to get used to shifting on the right?

Ohio HD

First time you go to down shift with the left foot, you generally remember after that.     

I used to ride my bikes, all left foot shift, and a couple of buddies older Iron Heads, I was always fine shifting with the right foot. Doesn't take long to get the entire feel of the different bike, then it became natural to me.

kd

I reversed the shift pattern on my slabside stroker by reversing a shorter 72 FX lever to face back and used mid foot pegs. The reason was to pound shifts when racing.   :embarrassed:  After several many years of riding it in that pattern I still catch myself daydreaming and click one down (while up shifting) on a rare occasion. Usually 3rd.  :nix:  :banghead:  Now I ordered the N-1 shift pattern in a GrudgeBox.  I'll let you know how that works out.  :hyst:
KD

PoorUB

Probably no different from moving to a completely different motorcycle. When I got my R1 I wanted to lift my right foot to apply the breaks and move my left foot to shift. After the first few rides on the bike I stopped doing it. Now I might not ride it for some time and muscle memory steps up and after a few minutes on the R everything is normal again.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Breeze

"How hard is it to get used to shifting on the right?"   From my experience riding British, then metric bikes when young, it's more about remembering which foot to hit the brake with when something happens fast. :cry:
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Shoreglide

Quote from: Breeze on January 14, 2019, 03:55:30 AM
"How hard is it to get used to shifting on the right?"   From my experience riding British, then metric bikes when young, it's more about remembering which foot to hit the brake with when something happens fast. :cry:

Yep. I take my friend's old BSA out 5-6 times a year. He rarely rides it, but won't let it go. First several minutes on the road are all about remembering which side is the brake. After that, all is good.

Beave

A good rule for RH shift is to press both when (quick) stopping, it eliminates the hesitation trying to remember which is which.  Don't think, just press. I learned that from my 65 XLCH, and always taught beginners that technique to simplify their thought process during braking.
With speed comes stability.

kd

Quote from: Breeze on January 14, 2019, 03:55:30 AM

:agree:  I had British bikes and rode early Sportsters and that statement is right on the money.   :oops:
KD

jmorton10

LOL, the first time I rode an old XLCH I learned real quick which side the brake was on.

I was used to riding my Panhead.  I blasted down my street and there was a stop sign at the end.  I went to slow down, jammed down on the shift lever & sailed right through the sign scaring the "Potty mouth" out of me..

I never forgot again after that.....

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Sinker

Like some of you have said my biggest concern is what to do in a panic situation where I need to get on the brakes fast without taking a second to remember where the rear brake is. Thanks for your thoughts.

PoorUB

Best thing you can do is just get out and ride it, but on quiet roads for the first few trips. Get use to the controls and practice braking before you head out into traffic. The same advice you would give a rookie on a new bike.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!