April 25, 2024, 08:07:35 AM

News:

compensator or eliminator sprocket?

Started by Rob L, January 31, 2019, 08:01:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranze

I had solid BDL sprocket on my early twinkie 124". Baker OD6 after primary. Then i sold that engine and have to make gear-ratio shorter. I bought Baker 24 teeth compensator. Now i have 106 lil' strokie and plans to let primary be unchanged. Only clutch replaced to Baker 9 plate version.

I like that Baker compensator. It's quiet and realiable. Maybe smoother shifting than that solid sprocket. Or am i imaging it?  :scratch:
FL -53 Bobber - stroked bigbore
Ex 2002 FLHR strokie

John D

We have been involved in a lot of these scenario's and 1 common denominator can be the run-out on the sprocketshaft.  Late model (fine spline) sprocketshafts can have a number of issues and if there is a fair amount of run-out it can wreak havoc on OEM & SE compensators.  We made a video to help explain some of the potential issues and how we measure to give you best accuracy of what is truly going on in your primary.

Not sure exactly how to link up, but it would be at our www.darkhorsecrankworks.com under "the cutting edge"

FSG

Rob L

I finally finished the 124 swap and I wound up going with the eliminator sprocket from drag specialties along with their manual chain tensioner. since the bike was just shy of 60K miles I replaced the chain too for a little added insurance. I do notice the bike starts much better and there are zero hot start issues. I need to get some break in mileage on the motor still so time will tell

CCCycles

2008 FLHX: Drag Specialties 34T comp eliminator, Hayden chain Tensioner, HD 8967A drive gear bearing,
DS 80w90 in the gearbox, DS primary lube. This is the smoothest/most quiet factory 6-speed bike I've ever ridden.

scott7d

Quote from: CCCycles on September 13, 2019, 09:30:03 AM
2008 FLHX: Drag Specialties 34T comp eliminator, Hayden chain Tensioner, HD 8967A drive gear bearing,
DS 80w90 in the gearbox, DS primary lube. This is the smoothest/most quiet factory 6-speed bike I've ever ridden.

I hear a lot of mixed reviews with the Hayden tensioner, mainly it making the chain way too tight. I know my primary is god-awful noisy with a solid comp and stock tensioner. To the point where people as what is wrong with my bike when sitting at idle. Do you know if there is a newer version of the Hayden tensioner that indeed works fine? I'd love to do something about the noise and don't have the skill or means to modify my stock tensioner like some have done.
Scott Matlock - Bloomington, IN
Iron Butt Rider #72408 - Facebook: The Hoosier Cruiser