April 19, 2024, 09:12:01 AM

News:

Thread Chaser?

Started by Nastytls, February 02, 2019, 12:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nastytls

I'm looking for a sae & metric thread chaser kit ( for cleaning out old loctite ). When googling them what I seem to be finding are tap & die kits. Are they one in the same?

No Cents

no they are not the same.
"google" search Craftsman thread chaser
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Nastytls

February 02, 2019, 12:27:45 PM #2 Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 12:48:40 PM by FSG

FSG

symantecs come into play here and as Ray said " no they are not the same "

that Sears Craftsman 40 pc. Tap and Die Set, Master Rethreader is called a Craftsman Thread Chaser/Cleaner elsewhere   :SM:

and the below Chaser Kit which by the way is not from Sears BUT is the same Craftsman they have has Rethreading on the cover insert

here's a Craftsman Tap and Die Set

Ohio HD

Boe Cole

Got a combination one like you are looking for from O'Riley Auto Parts for less than $100 (got it too long ago to remember the exact cost).  It is good quality and does what I need.  Suggest checking with an auto parts store in your area.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Heinz

Lang makes good tools, made in the USA. Here is the link to the SAE kit. They also offer a metric kit. I've been happy with mine the only downside is there's not a nice case for it but what they offer works just fine for me.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DTEFSWY?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

klammer76

I have and have used the Craftsman set that is in the picture for years. Great set. Don't know if they make it any more or not?

fbn ent

I have the Snap On set. Bought probably 15 years ago. Worth its' weight for sure...
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Hossamania

You might still be able to order the Craftsman set on line. I've got that same set, use it all the time, just used it this week on the truck battery as a matter of fact.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Nastytls

hd06

I have Craftsman set it's a keeper.

build it

Regarding that Snap On tool, how hard is it to let it find center? The Lang type tools are easy as pie but a little annoying backing them in and out.

This is one of the most underrated procedures in the engine world.
Get the principles down first, they'll never change.

fbn ent

Never had any problem using it.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

HighLiner

Use my Snap-on on a regular basis but it looks just like the Craftsman.  I've even used the thread files on bolts that were a little messed up on the starting point.

build it

I've used homemade, Lang type, but never the SnapOn with removable bits. I noticed it's a bluepoint item, not sure if that means anything as their stuff has been pretty good even if not Made in the USA
Get the principles down first, they'll never change.

Rusticwater

This is a thread from three years ago HERE when Craftsman was having a sale on the 48 pc. set (42275) for around $50. FSG posted some other useful tools and advice in the thread as well. I along with many others here made an impulse buy then. I'm not going to be the one that says Lang makes the Craftsman kit but it sure appears like they come from the same manufacturer.
Support the Maine lobster industry

koko3052

I just make mine. Use the same type of bolt & size as the thread that you want to chase. Take your angle grinder with a very thin "cut-off" blade & cut a notch on each side of the bolt. The groove that you cut must be completely thru the thread & into the bolt, lengthways with the bolt.
Easy Peasy & faster than running to the store to buy tools. :wink:

Hossamania

Sure, but I also use mine to identify nuts and bolts thread, pitch count and size so I can go shopping, or dig through my inventory.

Breeze

Quote from: Rusticwater on February 03, 2019, 10:14:16 AM
This is a thread from three years ago HERE when Craftsman was having a sale on the 48 pc. set (42275) for around $50. FSG posted some other useful tools and advice in the thread as well. I along with many others here made an impulse buy then. I'm not going to be the one that says Lang makes the Craftsman kit but it sure appears like they come from the same manufacturer.

While I was using my kit to clean up some blind holes last week, I got to wondering how/why I bought such an item. This post reminded me that I saw it in FSG's post and I made the impulse buy. It has paid for itself. A belated THANK YOU to FSG and HTT.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

spdrcr

I bought my set (same as Summit) from Snap-On, Mac Sells the same one. Definitely a must have in the tool arsenal.

Scooterfish

February 04, 2019, 06:10:09 AM #22 Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 09:06:30 AM by Scooterfish
 I believe the Craftsman set is made by Lang. If I remember correctly Lang is associated with a company " Star something??? "   The set is labeled under different names, so shop around. Well worth having.
Northern Indiana

Langwilliams

I picked up these for when I do my cam change https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lang-Tools-2581-26-Piece-Thread-Restorer-Tap-and-Die-Set/332584770592?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

chaos901

I have the Craftsman set too, used it quite a lot on the limited stuff that I do, really saved me a couple of times.  I too bought one after learning about them here.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

hattitude

Quote from: chaos901 on February 07, 2019, 05:45:17 AM
I have the Craftsman set too, used it quite a lot on the limited stuff that I do, really saved me a couple of times.  I too bought one after learning about them here.

Ditto for me.....

It is the most used tool in my tool set......

Hossamania

Quote from: hattitude on February 08, 2019, 07:07:23 PM
Quote from: chaos901 on February 07, 2019, 05:45:17 AM

Ditto for me.....

It is the most used tool in my tool set......

I have to say I'm surprised at how consistently I use it.

BB Stacker

I don't remember where I found out about it, but I got the Craftsman set on sale I believe for $39.00. The receipt is still in the case. Like others have already stated, I use my kit almost every time I wrench on the bike. As a matter of fact I used it earlier tonight on the bolt about midway on the exhaust right under the transmission. Must have got hit by a rock or something and was a little dinged up. Thread chaser cleaned it up enough to get the nut of without boogering anything up.