April 19, 2024, 01:49:39 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Swing arm bearings install question

Started by tdrglide, February 04, 2019, 07:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdrglide

Need to replace swing arm bearings on a 03 touring. Can this be done without the factory or jims tools. I have a press and a socker style driver that is the right size diameter to press them in, just not the shoulder to set the depth. Does anybody know that dim. One side, I believe the brake side gets pressed all the way down to the stop in the swing arm. Although there are stops on both sides of the swing arm. Thanks

Billy

You don't need the special tools. When you have the swingarm out and before you remove the old bearings from it, take a 6" scale and measure the distance between the inner spacers, should be about 4 1/2 inches, remove old bearings, press the bearing that needs to be bottomed, then press in the other to the measured distance, it's best to leave it a hair long, it will close up when you torque the swingarm pivot shaft.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

turboprop

Quote from: tdrglide on February 04, 2019, 07:19:16 PM
Need to replace swing arm bearings on a 03 touring. Can this be done without the factory or jims tools. I have a press and a socker style driver that is the right size diameter to press them in, just not the shoulder to set the depth. Does anybody know that dim. One side, I believe the brake side gets pressed all the way down to the stop in the swing arm. Although there are stops on both sides of the swing arm. Thanks

I bet that when you have that swingarm off and actually look at the bearings inside the arm, the light bulb will go on.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

tdrglide

:idea: thanks. I had already pulled the swing arm and pressed out the bearings before looking at the service manual telling me I need a special tool I don't have. I had already figured I could do without. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. Yes, 4-1/2 inches face to face on trans bosses.