April 24, 2024, 05:18:15 AM

News:

Emblem adhesive question..

Started by klammer76, February 05, 2019, 06:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klammer76

February 05, 2019, 06:22:21 AM Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 06:29:47 AM by klammer76
Can anyone tell me what type of adhesive HD uses/used on the back of the emblems/insert that were on the round, chrome evo style air cleaner covers? The ones that said fatboy, touring etc. Also looking for what type is used on the dash inserts that go in the middle of the long chrome consoles on street glides, etc. The ones that say FLHX, Road Glide etc. it's very thin stuff.

Thanks

Boe Cole

Don't know what the adhesive hd uses but i've used silicone on various items with good success.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Ohio HD

I like using the 3M VHB double sided tape. Very strong, resists high temperatures too.

https://goo.gl/1eouFy

fbn ent

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

PoorUB

Yup, there is various  3M mounting tapes for mounting  emblems  and other things where you don't want screws. I use it fairly often. There is different strengths,  some nothing short of dynamite will remove it.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

1workinman

Quote from: PoorUB on February 05, 2019, 01:14:44 PM
Yup, there is various  3M mounting tapes for mounting  emblems  and other things where you don't want screws. I use it fairly often. There is different strengths,  some nothing short of dynamite will remove it.
Damn lol  did not know that thanks 

hbkeith

its not the 3M in the big box stores ,  auto paint stores have it

klammer76

Great. Thank you all for the info.

PoorUB

You can often find the good mounting tape at hardware or auto parts stores, or even Amazon for that matter. all the good 3M tape I have seen has red plastic for a separator. It will say something like trim tape or high strength on the label.

Don't confuse it with hobby grade double face foam tape.

Rusticwater

Support the Maine lobster industry

JC 92FXRS

3M autotape is not what is used on the inserts of the EVO round air cleaner. Not saying it won't work, but it wouldn't look right because it's too thick in cross-section. I suspect something like Contact cement or some similar adhesive would be more appropriate.
Just my thoughts, Cheers, jeff 
"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

PoorUB

Some of those mounting tapes are just a few thousandths of an inch thick, like double  sided scotch tape, some are fairly  thick, maybe. 030".

1workinman

Quote from: PoorUB on February 06, 2019, 02:45:33 PM
Some of those mounting tapes are just a few thousandths of an inch thick, like double  sided scotch tape, some are fairly  thick, maybe. 030".
:up:

klammer76

Quote from: PoorUB on February 06, 2019, 02:45:33 PM
That's what I was looking for.

doctorevil

3M VHB 4905 is what is used for emblems and such.It is clear and only .020 thick. 1/2 wide.

klammer76

Quote from: doctorevil on February 06, 2019, 07:06:16 PM
3M VHB 4905 is what is used for emblems and such.It is clear and only .020 thick. 1/2 wide.
Thanks

vtwinjim

I've used 3M 3601 liquid adhesive on tank emblem and it worked fine.