April 24, 2024, 09:03:43 PM

News:

2005 Deuce front fork pinch bolts

Started by pddredduece, February 08, 2019, 05:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pddredduece

I found out the front fork pinch bolts Allen socket heads are striped out. I would like to find grade eight bolts to replace the oem bolts. Any idea where I can find some online?

04 SE Deuce

Lower tree pinch bolts are Torx head.  If the correct size Torx drive tool is used they are no problem...re-used mine a few times.

Now the 5mm allen screws that are used on the axle cap for the right side leg are a little marginal...seems I need to replace about every 15 tire changes.

Mule

smoserx1

Are the bolts metric or SAE?  Most of the fasteners on a Harley are SAE but there are exceptions and the forks are a good candidate for this exception since most if not all are made in Japan.  And are you trying to replace Allen head or Torx fasteners with hex head bolts?  I have replaced a few on my bike but some places I found it to be impossible because of certain space restrictions.  The design of some parts mandates a round headed fastener only available on an Allen or torx headed bolt be used.  Anyhow, grade 8 is solely an SAE designation.  If it turns out it is metric, I believe the closest classification to a grade 8 will be what they call a class 10.9.  I think Home Depot has grade 8 in hex head sizes if your bolt has an SAE thread.  They also carry some metric fasteners but I don't know what grade or head type they are.  They do have a couple of boards with male and female threads so you can bring in a fastener and find out what you have.  Good luck.

pddredduece

I found a Harley oem part # 4729. There was no pictures. Is this the right :scratch: part?

Ohio HD

e-glide90

# 4729 is 7/16-20 x 1 1/4 hex head grade 5, measure what you got for right length. My 2000 deuce uses the #992

Ohio HD

04 SE Deuce

All Deuce models use #992, screw 7/16"-20 x 1.5" torx 50 button head.  Used with the correct size quality tool can be reused as many times as you dare torque/stretch a fastener.