March 29, 2024, 08:44:15 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Fuel System Maintenance

Started by Bakon, February 09, 2019, 05:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bakon

February 09, 2019, 05:56:27 AM Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 06:08:42 AM by BAKON
Posting on general because I imagine miles and use of any style motor would be factor of when to do any fuel system maintenance.
For those who have changed filters in the tank, can you say what mileage and what you found?

Dirty, clogged, running better after, lines brittle or just a change to see what's inside and feel better down the road?

Only 28k on a 2014 but went 117 and got a few trips planned. Rather dig in while it's cold outside.

Thanks in advance.

Will
wasting time

Rusticwater

Support the Maine lobster industry

Bakon

Thanks....anyone else or got tips or pretty straight forward?
wasting time

markymark

Pretty simple once the lock ring is removed. I think I spent 15-20 minutes changing the filter and strainer on my 15 FL.

Heinz

I priced out the parts to replace everything inside the fuel tank including all of the lines, fuel pump etc. The price isn't too bad. It's a 2010 bagger. Are there any tricks or tips from those that have done this? I've changed the filter and regulator few times I remember it was a little bit tight to work in there. Of course I would be using the SM as well.

Breeze

I changed my '07 filter last fall. It was pretty simple, but a few small problems I remember; I didn't fully understand the S.M. instruction of "pull out" on the fuel gauge bar so it will unhinge and pull out easily. You have to give it a strong pull to unseat it. It straightens the assembly so it comes out easy.  I had a hell of a time getting the new fuel line to slip over the filter nipple.  I used a heat gun, and finally got it on.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

jsachs1

Don't forget the parts that hang in the throttle body as well. Oil from the breather system, and reversion discharges into the throttle body causing a build up on the hanging parts inside.  :wink:
John

klammer76

Quote from: Breeze on February 10, 2019, 03:55:01 AM
I changed my '07 filter last fall. It was pretty simple, but a few small problems I remember; I didn't fully understand the S.M. instruction of "pull out" on the fuel gauge bar so it will unhinge and pull out easily. You have to give it a strong pull to unseat it. It straightens the assembly so it comes out easy.  I had a hell of a time getting the new fuel line to slip over the filter nipple.  I used a heat gun, and finally got it on.
I'm with you on trying to figure out the unhinge deal reading the manual. I finally got mine out on my 2002 by luck I think. Once out you can see it and figure it out. What a pain.

I used a very small light smear of KYB grease on the nipple for the fuel line. Slid right on. crimped the lock ring and good to go.

Rob L

definitely change the fuel filter. I did mine a couple years ago and it was pretty dirty. not a bad job to do. some people say you need a special lock ring tool to remove the lock ring but you do not need anything more than a flat head screwdriver and hammer. be gentle and tap it around. it only turn approx 1/4 turn. be careful lifting the unit out of the tank as there are a couple corrugated fuel lines that need to be moved around by hand so they don't get damaged. its about a 1/2 hour job

PoorUB

Yep, lay an old towel over to tank to avoid the dropped tool, tap the ring off with a hammer and punch and pull the guts out.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!