April 24, 2024, 03:21:02 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Trunk origin

Started by fbn ent, February 13, 2019, 08:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbn ent

So, this isn't mine but I do have one in WAY better condition with rails. It is made from what seems to be plastic, not fiberglass. I've always thought about building a small trailer for behind my '84 out of it but am wondering if it is a stock item or an old after market unit.

[attach=0]
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

koko3052

Research "types of plastics" & you will find that different plastics are marked with different emblems to signify. Maybe thru that you can find your answer? :nix:

hbkeith

ive got one that looks like that , was on a Panhead

Skin

That's from the late 60's era, not sure exact years but I have one identical to that and it came off my '69 FLH, it's a big trunk and I have the original batwing fairing off the bike. I also have a set of saddlebags guards from that era that are a little ornate. I have them at the shop, I'll get a picture and post it.

fbn ent

I ran this one on my FLH until I got a newer more modern designed one. Has the mount with springs that clamps on to the luggage rack. Just started to wonder about it's origin.... :scratch:

fleetmechanic

Possibly made by Bates or Calafia, likely in the 1960s.

fbn ent

Ding, Ding, Ding  :up:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NOS-VINTAGE-WHITE-CALAFIA-FIBERGLASS-TRUNK-HARLEY-SHOVELHEAD-PANHEAD-/262575221992

I didn't think it was fiberglass but I'll check it out closer.  Looks to be it.

HogMike

Quote from: fbn ent on February 14, 2019, 06:33:16 AM
I ran this one on my FLH until I got a newer more modern designed one. Has the mount with springs that clamps on to the luggage rack. Just started to wonder about it's origin.... :scratch:

My 65 came with that big box, I traded it for the little one, still had the spring clamps for the luggage rack, the original "quick detach" mount!
T thought the boxes were fiberglass, guess I'll have to go out and check.
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Lone Ranger

Quote from: fbn ent on February 14, 2019, 08:39:50 AM

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NOS-VINTAGE-WHITE-CALAFIA-FIBERGLASS-TRUNK-HARLEY-SHOVELHEAD-PANHEAD-/262575221992

So that's what "shelf wear" looks like.

Hybredhog

In '73 they had a "Liberty" model that had a 4 headlights fairing & one of those on them. I'm not sure if it was a factory sanctioned kit. I remember the one that was around here had purple paint, & the owner called it the purple pig.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

fleetmechanic

February 14, 2019, 11:33:49 AM #10 Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 12:46:22 PM by fleetmechanic
The "Liberator" fairing was made by Vetter but this rear box looks to be earlier.  Vetter made a lot of the luggage for early Gold Wings.

PoorUB

Quote from: Lone Ranger on February 14, 2019, 09:40:52 AM
So that's what "shelf wear" looks like.

Looks like I crashed into a car and rolled over in the ditch wear!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

tomcat64

I have a couple of them,, HD even had them with a cabinet style handle on the side for carrying it into the hotel.. I also have NIB quick release set up for the early tour packs.

Panzer

Looks like a bullet hole from when he swiped it from the owner.
Mid-night bike supply store.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

fbn ent

Nope Panz....They are the bolt holes for the two chrome rails that run from side to side around the back. They go well with the bag rails on the older models.

Moparnut72

Quote from: fbn ent on February 14, 2019, 08:39:50 AM

From the pictures that sure looks like fiberglas to me. Looks to be hand laid up and not done with chopper gun.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

Panzer

Quote from: fbn ent on February 15, 2019, 06:53:15 AM
Nope Panz....They are the bolt holes for the two chrome rails that run from side to side around the back. They go well with the bag rails on the older models.

Gottcha bud.  :up:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.