April 19, 2024, 08:14:41 AM

News:

Oil pan removal???

Started by Rob L, February 17, 2019, 05:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob L

Ok quick question. I have the factory service manual for my bike (09 road glide) and it says I need to remove the rear tire in order to remove the oil pan. Is this true or is there a way to sneak it out without actually removing the tire?

Ohio HD

Tire has to come out, or the motor. Tire is easier.

Rob L

Quote from: Ohio HD on February 17, 2019, 05:47:18 PM
Tire has to come out, or the motor. Tire is easier.
I'm actually pulling the motor for a swap but I dont see how that would make a difference on how the belt would be rmoved

Coyote

Its the frame cross member you have to clear. If you're pulling the motor it will slide out the front.

snowangel

Don't forget to pull the dipstick before you remove the pan.

Rob L

Yeah I took the motor out today for the crate swap I'm doing. Upon futher inspection I see the drive belt looking a little rough so I guess either way I look at it I'm pulling the wheel anyway. May as well do it while I have it apart

Hossamania

Quote from: Rob L on February 18, 2019, 11:43:44 AM
Yeah I took the motor out today for the crate swap I'm doing. Upon futher inspection I see the drive belt looking a little rough so I guess either way I look at it I'm pulling the wheel anyway. May as well do it while I have it apart

Look at your pulleys too, they may be worn enough to replace.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Rob L

Quote from: Hossamania on February 18, 2019, 12:35:01 PM
Quote from: Rob L on February 18, 2019, 11:43:44 AM

Look at your pulleys too, they may be worn enough to replace.
definitely. The pulley on the trans looks fine. When I get the wheel off I'll be able to inspect the rear pulley better. I'm also gonna replace the cush drive rubber doohickey too

Phu Cat

If I remember right, (and that's questionable!) it seems like some of the oil pan bolts were longer than others.  Make a diagram of which bolt goes where.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

thirdgear

Just put the pan back on 10 Ultra 2 days ago bolts were all the same.