April 18, 2024, 10:30:50 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

starter relay?

Started by carolinayarddog, February 17, 2019, 06:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carolinayarddog

12 Street Glide. went out to start bike, everything came on as normal ; lights , fuel pump indicator, gauges; nothing happened when pressing starter, no click, nothing; did a quick check of fuses, tightened battery cables, nothing; wondering if could be the starter relay since it dosent have a visible failure indicator; got battery on charger overnight to be sure, but the gauge is reading about 12 volt
TIA

PoorUB

Kill switch on the RH grip?

It wouldn't be the first time someone id a major job of troubleshooting only to find the switch was off!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Rob L

+1 on the kill switch lol. If the switch is in the run position and wont start then start your diagnoses. Make sure you have power at the starter and go from there

smoserx1

Couple of tests you can do if the kill switch is not the issue.  Remove the green wire from the end of the starter solenoid.  Connect a voltmeter between this wire and ground.  With the ignition on press the starter button.  You should get around 12 volts.  If not, the problem is electrically upstream of this point and the relay is the next component upstream.  If this test passes check the solenoid as follows.  Make a jumper wire long enough to connect to the solenoid terminal and while connected to the terminal, touch the other end to the battery + terminal.  Make sure your bike is in neutral because if this test passes it will activate the starter even in gear.  If this test fails the problem is electrically downstream of the point and the solenoid is the next component downstream.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: PoorUB on February 17, 2019, 06:51:22 PM
Kill switch on the RH grip?

It wouldn't be the first time someone id a major job of troubleshooting only to find the switch was off!
:embarrassed: been there...I let my son ride my Springer one year and he used the kill switch,  :banghead: did the same think with our ATV, I swore it was flooded, again kill switch used...if you not use to using the kill switch its something you usually don't check
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

carolinayarddog

The kill switch did come to mind, fortunately I am waaaay too smart to overlook that; unfortunately I am way to dumb to make sure I am in neutral; in six years with this bike I guess I had never tried to start it without looking for that light first; actually didnt know it had a lockout switch; at least it happened in the garage so I didnt tarnish my reputation at the roadhouse
Thanks guys

fbn ent

Way to man up!...............Carry on.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Rob L

We've all been there a time or 3. Now you can look back and get a chuckle out of it

Moparnut72

I've ridden for many years and most of my bikes did not have a kill switch so I don't use it now. Anyway I put Rockouts in my bike, when I was finished it wouldn't start or even do anything. What the hell did I do? Then i realized somewhere in all my manipulations the kill switch got bumped to off. Once I found that it cranked right up. I also test rode a new M8 Softail. I couldn't get it started, the salesman says all you need to do is push the kill switch, Between the fob and the kill switch you are good to go. Geez, I am just old school.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

Hossamania

I don't even have fobs for my car or truck. Still old school key to open the doors and turn the ignition. My kids mock me.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

tbird

What year did they start putting lock out switches on harleys?

smoserx1

Maybe 06 or so.  My 99 FLHT does not have it..will roll right over anything in its path if attempted to start in gear.

Boe Cole

HD came to Knoxville offering test rides.  Got on a 19 RGU and had to ask how to start it - couldn't find the knob on the tank to turn it on.  The girl shephearding the demo  told me to just push the start button!!!!  :embarrassed: Felt a little foolish but that is how you learn.   :SM:
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Hossamania

Same thing on a BMW, I couldn't find the starter button. Turns out it's the big orange kill switch, serves double duty. Who knew?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Phu Cat

Had a friend call me to help him get his bike started that he'd just bought with no owners manual.  I finally figured out both the clutch and front brake had to be pulled in for the electric starter to work.  Live and learn.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

nutsandbolts5212

Make sure the bike is in neutral. Let us know what happened, I think its been 10 days!!

nutsandbolts5212

Disregard my last post, still drinking my coffee!!   :doh:

Ride safe!!