Let’s talk about the NEW Advanced Lithium iron phosphate batteries

Started by Iron horse, February 18, 2019, 06:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron horse

Harley is now selling a New battery called the  lithium life battery.
It's on their site as a new arrival at $250 bucks . And it's so new that it's not in any 2019 bikes .
This New  lithium Fe  is not like the older  lithium ion battery it's 80% lighter , I mean crazy light ! And it also  requires a new type of charger . So at this point there's very little info out there and we need the pros and cons on this new type of  lithium battery  .
From a  battery guru 

My  question is can this battery be jump like a AGM battery ?

truck

Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Pete_Vit

so many questions....  :pop:

some answers:
looks like I'm SOL

Fitment:
Fits '15-later XG, '04-later XL and '08-'13 XR models. '04-'13 XL models require separate purchase of Hardware Kit P/N 66000234.
Intermountain H-D Part#:

93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Shoreglide

Lithium iron batteries are not exactly new...just those with an HD tag on them.
Do a search and you'll find many threads here and elsewhere.

Iron horse

I did 2 searches 1 Lithium iron batteries and 2 Lithium iron phosphate battery . On this forum and got Nothing

Pete_Vit

Iron horse

Not the same battery I'm talking about , that's the  first generation lithium battery .  We're talking about second generation lithium Fe not ion .

Iron horse

Quote from: Iron horse on February 18, 2019, 11:00:15 AM
Not the same battery I'm talking about , that's the  first generation lithium battery .  We're talking about second generation lithium Fe not ion .
thanks

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Pete_Vit

first time I've heard of Lithium FE (iron) battery, lighter and cheaper  :idunno:

turboprop

Quote from: Iron horse on February 18, 2019, 06:59:43 AM
It's on their site as a new arrival at $250 bucks . And it's so new that it's not in any 2019 bikes .
This New  lithium Fe  is not like the older  lithium ion battery it's 80% lighter , I mean crazy light ! And it also  requires a new type of charger . So at this point there's very little info out there and we need the pros and cons on this new type of  lithium battery  .
From a  battery guru 

Everyone is getting all wrapped up with the type of battery but ignoring the OPs question, 'can this be jumped like an AGM battery?'.

Based on my experience with Lithium batteries branded by Anti-Gravity and Twin Power, I would say yes, they can be jumped like a traditional AGM battery. Why couldn't they be?

Will add that I have killed a lithium or two by leaving the lights on. Once these batteries drop below a certain voltage they are dead. I was able to jump start the bikeway one of those in-the-trunk air pump jump start things. Bike fired and ran without issue, but even after being put on a lithium maintainer for a day or two it still wouldn't crank the bike over by itself. I used a jump pack on the bike quite a few times until I replaced the battery.

Back to the OP, while I am an electronic engineer (MSEE), I do not have any knowledge of this type of battery, but cannot think of a reason why it could not be jump started like a traditional AGM.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Snorth

This battery doesn't have the thermal runaway problem of the older lithium batteries

BigT

The local HD dealer had the model for my Street Glide on the counter for display. I couldn't believe how light it was. It felt like just the plastic case.

Iron horse

Quote from: turboprop on February 18, 2019, 12:31:02 PM
From a  battery guru 

Everyone is getting all wrapped up with the type of battery but ignoring the OPs question, 'can this be jumped like an AGM battery?'.

Based on my experience with Lithium batteries branded by Anti-Gravity and Twin Power, I would say yes, they can be jumped like a traditional AGM battery. Why couldn't they be?

Will add that I have killed a lithium or two by leaving the lights on. Once these batteries drop below a certain voltage they are dead. I was able to jump start the bikeway one of those in-the-trunk air pump jump start things. Bike fired and ran without issue, but even after being put on a lithium maintainer for a day or two it still wouldn't crank the bike over by itself. I used a jump pack on the bike quite a few times until I replaced the battery.

Back to the OP, while I am an electronic engineer (MSEE), I do not have any knowledge of this type of battery, but cannot think of a reason why it could not be jump started like a traditional AGM.
So from what I get from this is that , this New Lithium iron battery can't  survive twice as long of a life as an AGM battery if you kill it I by  mistake a few times .And jumping it is not good .It  loses it's CC  cold Crank power .

Deye76

"Once these batteries drop below a certain voltage they are dead."

No expert, but yes. However the 2nd generation of lithium iRon, (iOn for phones etc., iRon for motorcycles) will shut the battery down before it reaches a certain voltage that would kill it. Also has overcharge protection. The Battery Tender brand 2nd gen I have in my FXR is 480CCA, the OE was 300CCA. Also has a 3 year warranty. Don't know of a AGM that has a 3 yr. warranty.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Iron horse

I was just on the Shorai website and they do have some very good info for this type of battery in FAQs , but nothing on jumping it .
If you would like to read it , www.shoraipower.com

kd

KD

turboprop

Quote from: Iron horse on February 18, 2019, 03:41:00 PM
Quote from: turboprop on February 18, 2019, 12:31:02 PM
From a  battery guru 

So from what I get from this is that , this New Lithium iron battery can't  survive twice as long of a life as an AGM battery if you kill it I by  mistake a few times .And jumping it is not good .It  loses it's CC  cold Crank power .

Not sure how you get that from what I posted. I don't agree with anything you posted here.

turboprop

Quote from: kd on February 18, 2019, 06:33:28 PM
The new Antigravity has a jumpstart in it.   :nix:

It does. I have one in my red/white bike. I works very well. With the blessing of the people at Anti-Gravity I drained the battery down to where it would illuminate a light bulb, then pressed the jump start button and cranked over the engine as if it were fully charged. The jump start feature is a 'partition' in the battery and cuts off power before voltage drops below a certain threshold. Pressing the jump start button will turn the power on and open the partition/reserve. This feature alone will all but eliminate the possibility of killing the battery by draining it too low.

Moparnut72

One thing I have seen with Lithium batteries is that the manufacturers recommend a specified charger/maintainer for them. So why is this the charging circuit on our bikes is a standard setup. How does this work? Specifying a certain charger in one situation and an old style charger on the bike. I just bought a 500 cca AGM for my bike because the OEM struggles at times especially when it is cold. I haven't installed it yet but will in the next couple of days.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

FSG

kd

Quote from: turboprop on February 18, 2019, 07:23:09 PM
Quote from: kd on February 18, 2019, 06:33:28 PM
The new Antigravity has a jumpstart in it.   :nix:

It does. I have one in my red/white bike. I works very well. With the blessing of the people at Anti-Gravity I drained the battery down to where it would illuminate a light bulb, then pressed the jump start button and cranked over the engine as if it were fully charged. The jump start feature is a 'partition' in the battery and cuts off power before voltage drops below a certain threshold. Pressing the jump start button will turn the power on and open the partition/reserve. This feature alone will all but eliminate the possibility of killing the battery by draining it too low.

That is all true.  The next version of the restart battery is in the works with a remote control so the seat or cover does not have to be removed for access.
KD