April 20, 2024, 04:33:33 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

FXR oil filter mount relocation

Started by flht1550, February 20, 2019, 05:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flht1550

I'm wanting to install a 1995 touring model transmission with the oil pan under the transmission in a 1984 FXR. I also have a early model S&S 113 motor that will go in the same frame. problem I'm having is where to install a oil filter mount. My S&S cases don't have the holes to install a Harley mount in front of the engine. I'm hoping someone has a suggestion and maybe pictures that show a nice clean appearance . Not sure if I split the S&S cases if there beefy enough to drill and tap for the Harley oil filter mount.

Mark222

February 23, 2019, 12:23:21 PM #1 Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 12:34:47 PM by Mark222
You can drill the swing arm and mount it like they did the early Evo Baggers

Look at a prats diagram (google is your friend) for a 1991 flhtc/u

You can see what it looks like pasting below info into browser

Mark
https://www.ebay.com/p/Genuine-Harley-Davidson-Oil-Filter-Mount-Bracket-FXR-FXST-FLT-Fxrt-26350-85/1234400578

turboprop

Quote from: Mark222 on February 23, 2019, 12:23:21 PM

Mark
https://www.ebay.com/p/Genuine-Harley-Davidson-Oil-Filter-Mount-Bracket-FXR-FXST-FLT-Fxrt-26350-85/1234400578

Where does this bracket attach to the swingarm at?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

guido4198

February 24, 2019, 03:28:11 AM #3 Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 03:32:24 AM by guido4198

Mark
That unit was mounted under the transmission.
I left one of them on the shoulder of I-95, filter and all.  It was 1993, running in a club pack to Daytona. Taking a break at a rest area on I-95 back when some of the older guys still thought "Evo's were evil". When a small puddle of oil appeared under MY bike...it brought immediate notice and some sarcastic comments.
I looked up under the bike to see what was going on and found the entire mount/filter unit was very loose, which had put enough strain on the oil line fittings that they started to leak. The only way to tighten it back up seemed to require pulling the starter and between all the men in the pack...we didn't have to tools for that. (btw: that lack-of-tools situation never happened again). Bignose 1%'er-GBNF jumped on the "Milwaukee Flyer", (his old Shovel) and headed back to the last exit where there was a truck stop. When he got back...he tossed a brass double ended hose barb connector to me and said "just pull the hoses, by-pass the filter and run'em through this." We got back on the road...and never had a problem. When we got to Daytona and made a gas stop before going on in to town, Tuck 1%'er (also GBNF), came over and said "You ain't going to have to worry about fixing that loose oil filter...the whole thing cam bouncing by me about 20 mi. back".  While we were in Daytona, I did a fast oil change to have fresh oil in the motor for the ride home. Replaced it once I got back.
Sorry to get so wordy....thanks for letting me share some good memories.
As far as relocating, Bignose had his oil filter mounted on the front down-tube of his frame. He used an over-sized truck filter for extra capacity and always maintained that having the filter up front "in the wind" acted like an oil cooler. It wasn't a particularly "clean look", but seemed to work well in a utilitarian sense.

Mark222

I have had one work loose once too, and coincidentally on a FL (Key West) run too.  Fashioned a zip tie solution to get home.  Have run about 110K miles with only that incident.  Part is likely obsolete though at this point, but they could be found as of 2011 when we bored the required hole and relocated one on a "boxes of parts to bike build" FXR a friend put together frame up.

Left had thread secures to trans housing under / near the swingarm.

One option and proven past OEM solution.  Lots cleaner when changing oil too.  Pulling the filter does not pour used oil on the engine case, regulator and frame, lol. 

Many other aftermarket products exist too.

YMMV

Mark

turboprop

Mark

Wait, I still want to here more about this oil filter mounted to the bagger swingarm front he factory. Do tell.

Mark222

Should have stated: Trans case on bagger.  Thank you for observing the error and correcting my post Ed.....

Mark

turboprop

Quote from: Mark222 on February 24, 2019, 06:43:07 PM
Should have stated: Trans case on bagger.  Thank you for observing the error and correcting my post Ed.....

Mark

Darn, I thought I was going to learn something. But this brings up anther question, where is that you would drill a bagger trans case to mount an oil filter?

Mark222

February 27, 2019, 06:52:20 PM #8 Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 06:57:27 PM by Mark222
Perhaps a pic would help Ed.  Call is what you want.

The filter mounts bolts through the hole in the rear section.

Mark

turboprop

Quote from: Mark222 on February 27, 2019, 06:52:20 PM
Perhaps a pic would help Ed.  Call is what you want.

The filter mounts bolts through the hole in the rear section.

Mark

Alright, while this makes sense now, it is completely irrelevant to the OPs question about the bagger trans WITH OIL PAN that he is using.

Phu Cat

Why not go with an externally located oil filter?  Trust me, it makes changing the filter MUCH easier and less time consuming.  Not to mention it doesn't leave oil dripping off the voltage regulator if you don't route it away from the bottom of the filter.  I bought a kit and mounted it below the left passenger floor board.  Installation was a breeze.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.