March 29, 2024, 07:46:32 AM

News:

Anyone running a new knuckle from S&S

Started by 1931jamesw, February 15, 2013, 06:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1931jamesw

I got the idea to buy a new Knuckle from S&S Cycle and put it in a Servi Car. Is this against Knuckle or Servi Car "rules"? How much work would it be to make this work in a Servi Car and what are the things to look for in a Servi Car? When were the mechanical brakes changed over to juice brakes? Where upgrades made in other areas like the rear end or anything else? Are the new Knuckles much better than the old? I figure the castings and machine tolerances are much better. Any and all info would be helpful at this point. I have my own shop but have never wrenched on anything earlier than a Shovel and only a handful of those. Its almost all Twin Cam these days and I prefer to be tuning on the dyno. My knowledge of the Knuckle is very limited and the Servi Cars too for that matter. I think the Knuckle is the best looking motor the MoCo ever produced and I appreciate their styling.

Brrrap

Build it! Take tons of pics and ask specifics as you go along. This would be a great thread to watch. I can't see any severe technical hurdles that you'd lose sleep over. Good luck and enjoy!
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

Snuff™

I spent some time at the V-Twin Expo talking to Bruce Tessmer of S&S about that knuckle engine.  Looks like a great start (KN74) for a new build.  If I was building a servi-car, I'd do a flathead. JMO

:pop:
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

ricochet

When I had a knuckle custom this was always a dream of mine.  Was always on the lookout for a servicar frame but that's all gone now.  Not enough time or money.

What I do recall and this is only my opinion is that if you wanted to keep the lines traditional stilling wise you would graft a servicar rear section to any big twin front.  Could be HD rigid frame or even a cut up swingarm frame and the newer big twin frames (except twin cam) will all accomodate the Knuckle engine.  Not sure if you need the spacers under the front mounts for the S & S knuckle or not.

So,  you can look for a servicar frame or just the rear section.  There sometimes out there.  Use the servicar rear axle setup.  Does this need to be flipped over because sprocket is RHD on servicar?  Or buy an aftermarket replacement axle setup that's out there now.

This is in keeping with traditional looks.  You can go hog wild with aftermarket stuff otherwise.

ricochet