March 29, 2024, 03:26:29 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

panhead coil ?

Started by paysonpan, July 20, 2017, 08:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paysonpan

After many years of collecting parts and building my 55 FL is now at start up stage. Stock motor with exception of original Sifton 412 cam. Linkert 74 B. Shovelhead auto advance timer. 12 V.
I have several coils in my junk but the first 3 i have tried appear to be junk. Guess that is why they were in the junk box. So I am going to buy a new coil to alleviate any coil related issues.
What would you pan guys recommend as I see many options available in all price ranges.
Thank you

58Tin

I would try and find a 12v  OEM coil. Designed for standard points and condenser ignitions and will mount on the seat post studs. The part number for 65 and up early 12v coils is 31609-65. With any luck may be one sitting on a dealers shelf covered in dust waiting for you.

Brrrap

82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

paysonpan

Thanks for the recommendation
Coil # 6 out of my junk box works like a champ. Bike fired up after a long sleep. Now fine tuning the Linkert and I will be chugging along on these beautiful Arizona mountain roads soon.
I will search for the 65 and up coil to eventually install.

Snowyone

I'm at the bottom of the hill from you and am hoping to get my 53 on the road this winter.  Will have to hook up for a Pan cruise once I get it broken in.

guppymech

July 29, 2017, 07:03:58 AM #5 Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 07:12:41 AM by guppymech
Quote from: paysonpan on July 23, 2017, 04:51:32 PM
Thanks for the recommendation
Coil # 6 out of my junk box works like a champ. Bike fired up after a long sleep. Now fine tuning the Linkert and I will be chugging along on these beautiful Arizona mountain roads soon.
I will search for the 65 and up coil to eventually install.

I converted my '84 Shovel to points and am using a Andrews 4.8 ohm coil p/n 237230 with solid core wires and non-resistor plugs, bike runs good.  The coil's made in the USA too.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

paysonpan

July 29, 2017, 08:32:44 AM #6 Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 08:37:31 AM by paysonpan
Thanks for this information regarding coil  58Tin and guppymech
This is what I was looking for from some one on the forum
Pan is running now with one of my old coils but still have a few issues to sort out.
After solving those and before getting her out on the road i will replace the current coil with one recommended by you guys
Thanks