March 29, 2024, 02:55:01 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Circuit Breaker

Started by AndyH, July 23, 2017, 07:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyH

When riding my '53 panhead my engine will stop running while I'm riding.  Maybe every third our fourth time I take it for a ride.  When it happens, I just turn the key switch off then on while I'm coasting and it resets the circuit breaker and the engine starts right up and I continue on with my ride.

I recently removed the oil bag for some work on it and I checked the wires from the headlight, to the tail light and ignition switch and the connections at the circuit board.  All good wiring with continuity.  The only wires I've not checked yet are the wires from the  12 volt generator electric voltage regulator and the wires from the Mallory electronic ignition.

In the meantime, I ordered a set of cloth colored plug wires to replace the 8mm wires originally on the bike.  When I received them, they were 7mm instead of 8mm.  Regardless, I installed them.  When I now go out for a ride, the engine cuts off while riding, more frequently.  Howerever, while coasting, I can still turn the key switch off then on to reset the circuit breaker and it starts up again.

I'm waiting on a set of new 8mm wires in the mail.  However, the problem occurred, just not as frequently, with the 8mm plug wires that I was originally using. 

Based on what I've explained, does anyone have any suggestions on what might be the problem? 

I'm wondering if the 12V voltage regulator is bad or the generator might be bad.  Or, do the circuit breakers (there is one on the positive side of the battery and one on the negative side too) go bad?  Or maybe the coil is going bad?

Lastly, it gets very hot here in San Antonio Texas.  If the engine gets too hot would this cause the circuits breaker to break?

I appreciate any help.

Thank you.

HogMike

Without seeing your wiring system electrical issues are tough to sort out
Your bike did not have a circuit breaker in '53 so I'm guessing that was added in the wire from the battery positive to the switch?
What is the amp rating on the breaker?
What has been changed from when it worked ok?
The breaker works on heat, it could be breaking on a combination of ambient heat plus heat from your charging circuit or a occasional short?
Hard to pin down.
If it worked before and now does not and you checked everything it may just be a defective breaker
:nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

AndyH

I'll have to check the amp rating on the circuit breaker when I get home from work.

I'm glad you mentioned the heat issue.  Because, I have this issue when I've ridden it for a while and the engine heats up. Or when I'm sitting in a long line of traffic for an extended period of time.  Living in south Texas doesn't help the problem any.  Now, I'm wondering if the header wraps are contributing to the problem.

If heat where the issue, would it be reasonable to use a higher amp circuit breaker?

AndyH

I just pulled the circuit breaker from the bike.  It's a Short Stop 12V W20 20Amp circuit breaker.  One post connects to the positive from the battery and the other connector post is to the auxiliary from the key switch. 

Wonder if I should bump it up to a 30 Amp?

What are your thoughts?

packrat56

I wouldn't use a 30 on the aux. I have a 30 on the main ,,,But this is on a shovel
If the breaker is the type with a metal can, It can get water inside and rust the metal strip and get
real weak, mine would trip on some RR tracks some times
Now I know, why some animals eat their young.

AndyH

It's the only circuit breaker on the bike.  Initially I thought there were two.  But, I can only find one.  Interesting point you made about the water issue weakening the breaker.

This circuit breaker has a metal housing - like you mentioned.  One of the corners, where the plastic cap with the terminals meets the metal housing, is eroded and has what appears to be a burnt surface around it. 

I think I'll buy a new 12V 20 amp circuit breaker and see if it makes a difference.  Perhaps the one I'm using now has weakened, as you mentioned.

Thanks for you help.

packrat56

Quote from: AndyH on July 24, 2017, 05:47:27 PM
It's the only circuit breaker on the bike.  Initially I thought there were two.  But, I can only find one.  Interesting point you made about the water issue weakening the breaker.

This circuit breaker has a metal housing - like you mentioned.  One of the corners, where the plastic cap with the terminals meets the metal housing, is eroded and has what appears to be a burnt surface around it. 

I think I'll buy a new 12V 20 amp circuit breaker and see if it makes a difference.  Perhaps the one I'm using now has weakened, as you mentioned.

Thanks for you help.

Anytime ,,,
Mine are mounted on the rear fender only way to remove them is take the fender or oil tank off :doh:
If yours are mounted so they hold water ,,might drill a hole so they can drain
Now I know, why some animals eat their young.

AndyH

My circuit board, including the breaker, is located on a bracket that's been welded onto the back side of the horse shoe oil bag under the seat.  It's located directly behind the battery.  I've never ridden it in the rain.  But it is exposed to the elements. 

I bought the bike about a year and a half ago from a guy in Santa Barbara, California.  I've replaced the front spool rim that was heavily rusted, various other parts and repainted the frame due to some surface rust. All of this I believe was directly related to the salt water environment of the area in which he lived.

CraigArizona85248

You mentioned you have a Mallory electronic ignition.  Electronic modules typically shutdown around 9V.  I had a similar problem to yours with a 1993 FXDWG.  I'd be cruising along and it felt like someone turned off the power.  Flip the switch off and back on and I'd be running again.  After chasing all kinds of things it turned out to be the switch itself.  The contacts were dirty and corroded.  Sometimes the voltage drop due to the increased resistance was enough to shutdown the electronic ignition module.  Never saw the problem again after replacing the switch.

-Craig

thumpr54

intermittent ignition switch is a possibility....usually is you wiggle it a little you you can get it to act up.....take apart...clean and lube
growing old is mandatory-growing up is optional
355 AMS(TAC)DMAFB 73-76 VFW6774

thumpr54

in last post I'm assuming dash type switch
growing old is mandatory-growing up is optional
355 AMS(TAC)DMAFB 73-76 VFW6774

AndyH

Installed the new circuit breaker.  But, I also put new connectors on the wires that run from the Mallory ignition where they connect to the coil.  One of the connectors was hanging by a thread. 

Took her out for a couple of hours - no issues. 

Thank you all for your help.

Andy