March 28, 2024, 06:11:15 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

How about a Woods tw8 in 124 build?

Started by guesscrazy, October 10, 2019, 09:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesscrazy

Getting ready for a 124 in the winter. What do you think of this cam? Are roller rocker needed? What compression is best for a long distance bagger?
2014 Ultra Limited. 124 S&S kit , V&H Powerduals .Reinharts and alot or other do

Hillside Motorcycle

Good cam, 9F is better in that application, or a least here.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Nastytls

I used that cam in a 107" Dyna at 11-1.  It's a good broad power cam but makes a massive amount of noise. I tried all different preloads on the lifters with zero success in quieting them down. I would never even consider it on a long distance touring build, the hammering sound would drive me nuts after hours in the saddle.

rigidthumper

That cam works very well from 10.8-11:1.
Would not be my first choice in a long distance touring build, for the compression needed ( because of the fuel concerns) and the sound.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Rsw

I must be the exception I run the 8 in my 110 and it's whisper quiet. Also makes great power and torque

speedzter

I ran them for a while in a Dyna, custom 120 @ 10.6:1 .
No complaints at all ( apart from some noise !)

They pulled hard from down low, and really never stopped.

If you look in the Dyno section, there is a 124 running TR590's, similar style of Cam.

rhuff

Quote from: guesscrazy on October 10, 2019, 09:44:00 PM
Getting ready for a 124 in the winter. What do you think of this cam? Are roller rocker needed? What compression is best for a long distance bagger?

I wouldn't have a CCP (far more important than static comp) over 200 unless you have a really great dyno guy.  Just asking for trouble in *most* instances if you want reliability for riding all over the country. 

Hillside Motorcycle

Another proven choice is a T-Man 662-2.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

TorQuePimp

Rest of the details on the build?
Not all 124" combos are going to want the same cam

guesscrazy

Quote from: TorQuePimp on October 14, 2019, 01:39:03 PM

Rest of the details on the build?
Not all 124" combos are going to want the same cam
110 heads worked and 58 Hpi throttle body. V&H Powerduals.
2014 Ultra Limited. 124 S&S kit , V&H Powerduals .Reinharts and alot or other do

guesscrazy

Talked to a shop today that recommends a S&S 585 @ 10.5 compression. Said it is a tried and true bagger build that they have been doing for years. He said he would recommend the 103 wetheads and they can make them flow well. He said the 110 CVO heads were unnecessary and the factory oil pump would be good to go. He was good with 58mm HPI throttle body. What are your opinions?

TorQuePimp

Quote from: guesscrazy on October 15, 2019, 07:30:11 PM
Talked to a shop today that recommends a S&S 585 @ 10.5 compression. Said it is a tried and true bagger build that they have been doing for years. He said he would recommend the 103 wetheads and they can make them flow well. He said the 110 CVO heads were unnecessary and the factory oil pump would be good to go. He was good with 58mm HPI throttle body. What are your opinions?

103 wetheads for a 124.....no
Do you have 110 heads?
Far better cams than the 585 for what you are doing

jjdalynh

Quote from: TorQuePimp on October 15, 2019, 09:05:49 PM

Do you have 110 heads?

i agree.  seems that 585s are recommended because they are a known quantity? 

i have 8s in my 107" and they *are* noisy AF.  maybe it's time for me to tear down the rockers and see if i've got too much endplay in the shafts.  i recall making the measurements when i built it, but didn't feel the need to shim them.  perhaps that was a mistake.....

Hillside Motorcycle

Start by loading a S&S lifter to .140".
No pony in the race, just what we see works.

rigidthumper

103 wetheads on a 124 with flat top pistons & a .030" head gasket? You will be approaching 12:1.
103 wetheads on a 124 with 10cc dished pistons & a .030" head gasket? You will be closer to 11:1.
Is that where you want to be?
Those can be fine builds, given the right cam and riding style, but neither sound like a typical cross country bagger to me .
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

guesscrazy

October 16, 2019, 06:31:24 AM #17 Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 07:04:11 AM by rigidthumper
Quote from: TorQuePimp on October 15, 2019, 09:05:49 PM
Do you have 110 heads?
He was recommending S&S heads and then I reminded him the 14 limited is a wethead. I am willing to pick up some 110 heads and having them prepped.  Not looking to cut corners. Looking for modest power and reliable nonpinger with 91 octane. I go out west 2 times a year for 6000 mile trips and gas can be poor.

guesscrazy

2014 Ultra Limited with 35000 miles. I use it touring 1 up about 15000 miles a year. I travel in the west where high octane gas is limited. I talked to a shop last week who said they have done dozens of 117 and 124s. They handle all machine work in house and flowbench their heads. Owner recommends S&S 585 cams with 10.5 compression. He said I dont need to upgrade the oil pump and he could use the factory 103 wetheads. I am understanding that stock wetheads would push compression above 10.5 with even dished pistons. I called another shop that was recommended on HTT and they haven't called me back yet. Any other cam combos that would work on this and not be a ping monster? Just not wanting to leave anything on the table. I am willing to buy some new 110 heads and have them worked. What about the keep the stock oil pump recommendation?

turboprop

I bet the owner of that shop is really going to enjoy you offering him suggestions from an internet forum. Shop owners and engine builders really enjoy that.

Have you considered looking into the dyno section at 117 and 124 results? The dyno sheets will all have basic info like cams, exhaust and chassis.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

guesscrazy

Quote from: turboprop on October 20, 2019, 09:48:56 AM
I bet the owner of that shop is really going to enjoy you offering him suggestions from an internet forum. Shop owners and engine builders really enjoy that.

Have you considered looking into the dyno section at 117 and 124 results? The dyno sheets will all have basic info like cams, exhaust and chassis.
I haven't offered the shop owner anything but my ears. I just want to make sure I am getting the right combo.

Ohio HD

I'll offer what I did before. If it's being built by someone else, let them give you some details of what they suggest after you tell the what's important to you. And since you're in Tennessee, I'd get in contact with Brandon Johnson at J&B Performance Cycles. They can build it for you, tune it for you, and they use some of the most respected names in the industry for head work, crank work, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/jandbperformance/

guesscrazy

Quote from: Ohio HD on October 20, 2019, 11:05:16 AM
I'll offer what I did before. If it's being built by someone else, let them give you some details of what they suggest after you tell the what's important to you. And since you're in Tennessee, I'd get in contact with Brandon Johnson at J&B Performance Cycles. They can build it for you, tune it for you, and they use some of the most respected names in the industry for head work, crank work, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/jandbperformance/
I left them a message last week but Monday I will call them 1st thing.

harpwrench

Will the S&s 117/124 cylinders work with wet heads? They're descriptions say not compatible, I'd like to know myself.

1workinman

There is some thing to be said about copying a great build lol  look in the dyno section/  for some good examples . I would build a 124 that just me .  I prefer the motor to be built the way I want it .  I been down this road . You do as you please but I talk to a good shop that you know does good work don't just take there brother in laws advice here .  If you know what you want . I want a motor that will make at least 140 hp and early torque and be able to not give problems.