April 19, 2024, 10:43:25 PM

News:

small retaining ring for gas tank float

Started by klammer76, November 21, 2018, 05:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klammer76

Doing a project on my 2002 FLHTC. Had to get a used float sending unit for carbed tank. The float itself is missing a very small external lock ring that pushes on to the wire arm of the float to keep it in the unit. Naturally these are not sold separately. I have seen these things before in things I have bought etc. Any one know where I can buy such a thing? As mentioned, these are small for this one. Float wire is about the diameter of a coat hanger. Same retaining ring is used to keep the plastic float on the are also.

Have a happy Thanksgiving,
klammer

92flhtcu

small c-clip or push-nut, try the local auto parts store or hardware store
Need a bigger garage

klammer76

Quote from: 92flhtcu on November 21, 2018, 05:38:09 AM
small c-clip or push-nut, try the local auto parts store or hardware store
Doing a google search I think they are called external retaining rings. The push nut is probably the same thing. I'll check. Issue will be finding one small enough. I'll post a picture later today.

rigidthumper

Do you have a Tractor Supply, or Farm & Home, style store nearby? They have trays of small hardware, and sell by the piece, that come in real handy.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Rockout Rocker Products

www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Grayrider

Try an electrical supply store.
These are used instead of lock washers on electrical components.
I'm Sexy – I Ride a Harley – I can't Help It!

klammer76

Thanks guys. Push nut is what it appears to be. I'll check Tractor supply and electrical store also. I'll post the results.

PoorUB

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-Help-13441-Push-Assortment/dp/B000CO76MO

The package has a couple 1/8" push nuts. You might find them at an auto parts store, Dorman-Help P/N 13441
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

FSG

it'll not need much to hold the float on, I'd probably just twitch a bit of bellwire on the end of the shaft

rbabos

Quote from: FSG on November 21, 2018, 03:05:54 PM
it'll not need much to hold the float on, I'd probably just twitch a bit of bellwire on the end of the shaft
That or close fitting small washer and a vise squeeze for a flat spot.
Ron

klammer76

Quote from: FSG on November 21, 2018, 03:05:54 PM
Gary,
It's the end that goes through the plastic arm that holds it to the sending unit. The actual float on the other end has the same push nut in place. No way I can wire the end that is missing the push nut unfortunately. With out the push nut, the whole float arm can fall off into the tank. Going to check some stores Friday.

Bagger

klammer76

Got what I needed, had to use ebay.

Thanks to all.