April 19, 2024, 10:34:42 PM

News:

Warm n Safe heated gear

Started by blown alcohol, November 22, 2018, 02:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blown alcohol

I am looking to upgrade from my older gerbings jacket. It's about 10 yrs old, and still works, just tight fit now. lol

I was comparing the gerbing to the warmnsafe waterproof jacket liner. Does anyone here have the Gen 4, or waterproof jacket liner from warmnsafe?
Looks like they use the same connections.
2013 CVO Ultra

92flhtcu

They use the same connections, however, no experience with it as First Gear uses the Gen3 Jacket liner
Need a bigger garage

Hossamania

Love my Gerbings. No experience with the Warmnsafe.
A friend picked up a MotoGear jacket, plug in and separate battery so it keeps warm when away from the bike. He really likes it, stays warm in cold weather while standing around looking cool bikes.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

misfitJason

I have a gearz jacket liner and gloves.  They are a company out of Canada that specializes in snowmobile stuff.  Have had them for about six years. 
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

blown alcohol

I like the gerbing ex pro jacket and pants. I was hoping for a BF promo code.
It doesn't look bulky, and can double as rain gear too.
The thing about the pants liner is finding something to wear over them that will be comfortable.

Warn N Safe has 18% code " Steve "  if anyone is interested. I will be buying from one of them in next few days.
2013 CVO Ultra

Coyote

I'd go with Warm and Safe. Gerbing got bought out by Gyde and is run out of the UK. My personal experience a year or so ago with Gerbing was not good and I ended up contacting Warm and Safe. They took my defective Gerbing gloves in exchange for a nice discount on a pair of theirs. If you do some searching I think you will find similar "lack of support" complaints about Gerbing. YMMV

bobo

we are using a jacket type heated collar and long sleeve comes with a on off switch and plugs into the plug for the battery tender its called BLACK JACK. I think it is out of Vancover B.C. Canada
24FH 33Chief 59Pan 2005FLHTC 2007 1200 sporty

PoorUB

Black Jack, No idea how good they are, just passing along the link.
https://electrowear.ca/
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

PoorUB

no idea about the warm and safe gear either, but a couple of us have been running the First gear heated Jacket, California Phil sells 'em. 90 watts! If they don't keep you warm, nothing will!

https://firstgear-usa.com/heated/clothing/heated-90-watt-jacket-liner.html

blown alcohol

Warm n Safe is re branded for First Gear.

Looks like more use Warm n Safe vs Gerbings now.
2013 CVO Ultra

Hossamania

https://www.california-heat.com/

I talked with these guys at a show, lifetime warranty. Very similar to the original Gerbing wear. I think the owner and employees used to work at Gerbing before it was sold, or left shortly after. Really nice people.

Dogbone45ACP

I've been using a Warm and Safe jacket liner for several years. It works great. The Gerbing family is running the original company again as Gordon's Heated Clothing. Made here in Washington State.  I didn't know this when I bought the Warm and Safe. You can't go wrong with either.

biggzed

I haven't used warm and safe jackets, but I have their thermostat on my bike. My Dad has a couple of their thermostats as well. His wireless one from them was giving him trouble. They replaced it quickly and followed up with him afterward. Really stood behind their stuff.

Zach

GaryD

I was a Gerbing man or many years (they use to be the best), but W&S has better designs and fit and finish in my opinion. My Gerbing jacket liner did not have pockets, W&S does. I also have their duel item wireless remote controller. No more tangled cables - 1 plug does it all. I do have a pair of H-D Hybred gloves - bike hook up or lithium battery hook up for shoveling snow or long walks or just walking around looking at bikes.

W&S also has a generous trade in program. I took my old Gerbing items and sold them here on HTT for the same price I would have got from W&S. So someone else got a good deal too.
I also have the car plug adapter....FOR REALLY COLD DAYS...... until the car heats up.  :)
AMA Life Mbr.
USMC VietNam 66-67 3rd Tnk. Bat

Paniolo

Quote from: GARYD on November 26, 2018, 01:37:53 PM
W&S also has a generous trade in program. I took my old Gerbing items and sold them here on HTT for the same price I would have got from W&S. So someone else got a good deal too.

Tell us more about the Warm and Safe trade in program. Do they take other brands like Gerbing, Powerlet, and Widder?
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

92flhtcu

Need a bigger garage

GaryD

Quote from: Paniolo on November 26, 2018, 02:10:10 PM
Quote from: GARYD on November 26, 2018, 01:37:53 PM

Tell us more about the Warm and Safe trade in program. Do they take other brands like Gerbing, Powerlet, and Widder?

Yes - but you get more if it's W&S items
AMA Life Mbr.

blown alcohol

W&S jacket, and pants liner will be here Thursday.
I will use my gerbing gloves, socks, and thermostat. I would like the wireless heat controller W&S has, but maybe at a later time
2013 CVO Ultra

PoorUB

If you got the 90 watt jacket it will overload the Gerbings controller if you run it on high, at least mine does. When I want full heat I turn it wide open, then back it down one click. It seems to work fine at any point less than full on. It doesn't hurt the controller, it just shuts down and the LED blinks red to green. Shut it off and it will reset then crank it up again. Gerbings were 77 watt IIRC.

blown alcohol

PoorUB,

I knew this jacket was higher watts, just didn't think about controller problems. I have the jacket, and gloves on same outlet, and socks (soon to add pants) on the other outlet. (Dual Thermostat)
I emailed w&s about using the gerbings thermostat, and was told no problem. Oh well, if it's just click down from 100% it will be fine.
2013 CVO Ultra

PoorUB

It will work fine, just not on high, and trust me, with 90 watts you will not run it on high anyway!

92flhtcu

I have the WnS dual wireless controller, 90w Jacket, I have never had it turned up all the way, you should be fine
By the way, all the WnS controllers are infinite adjust, not just a few settings, just an fyi
Need a bigger garage

GaryD

I have the W&S heated jacket liner/pant liner/gloves and the wireless remote dual controller. Never had a problem, but then again, I've never had it turned all the way up to max = that would be silly. If you ever need to go more that halfway it's time to stay home and I've ridden in temps close to 0.

:)

AMA Life Mbr.

nibroc

have no problems with my old gerbings but I wish the gloves had a thumb warmer....... :emoGroan:

GaryD

I wish one of the headed gear mfg's would wire the glove fingers from top to bottom around the ends of the fingers instead of around the sides. The sides of my fingers do not get cold - - the fingerprint area of my fingers get cold - very cold. I've been saying this for years, but other than a couple other people, no one thinks this is a problem. I can't imagine no one else has this problem - maybe because most riders do not ride for long periods of time in freezing weather.
I have contacted Gerbing (old & new) and W&S and others at bike shows. None said they would do it because not enough people ask for it.

I even have heated grips, but my fingers are long so that area of the finger doesn't rest on the grip - so I have to scrunch up my fingers so that the tips contact the grips - not very safe.
AMA Life Mbr.

PoorUB

Gary, do you have heated gloves? I have borrowed  a pair and my finger tips were warm. I would not want heat across  the finger tips because I don't want wires in that area.

Boe Cole

No experience with warm and safe but my old gerblings (10+ years) perform great.   Have the HD heated gloves (really gerblings) and the jacket liner.  Riding to bike week in Daytona in March's 30 degree weather (Knoxville TN area) through the mountains (much lower than 30 degrees) is a good test.  Once warm (2-3 minutes), the liner never gets off low and is often turned off.  I wear a snowmobile bib for my legs and chest with the liner under the bib and a first gear jacket over it all.  Legs get a little chilly but not uncomfortable.
Warm and toasty.  The HD gloves are directly wired so they are on full power the whole time as once my hands get cold - I'm done......
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

GaryD

Quote from: PoorUB on November 29, 2018, 06:38:31 AM
Gary, do you have heated gloves? I have borrowed  a pair and my finger tips were warm. I would not want heat across  the finger tips because I don't want wires in that area.

What's the lowest temps you've ridden in??  I've had 3 different gloves. 1 from Gerbing, 1 from H-D(Gerbing) and one from W&S. None of them heat the fingerprint area which is the ONLY place on my body that gets cold after 2 to 4 hours in temps in the teens = wind chill probably -30*.  Temps above 30* I don't even turn on the heat.

I don't have a problem with wires in that area if it would warm that area so I can ride longer. I don't know what the problem would be with heat in that location. Like I said, the sides of my fingers do not get cold when wearing unheated gloves so I don't need heat there.
If Hippo Hands weren't so ugly, I'd have a set of them.  :)
AMA Life Mbr.

PoorUB

Quote from: GARYD on November 29, 2018, 02:04:34 PM
Quote from: PoorUB on November 29, 2018, 06:38:31 AM

What's the lowest temps you've ridden in?? I've had 3 different gloves. 1 from Gerbing, 1 from H-D(Gerbing) and one from W&S. None of them heat the fingerprint area which is the ONLY place on my body that gets cold after 2 to 4 hours in temps in the teens = wind chill probably -30*.  Temps above 30* I don't even turn on the heat.

I don't have a problem with wires in that area if it would warm that area so I can ride longer. I don't know what the problem would be with heat in that location. Like I said, the sides of my fingers do not get cold when wearing unheated gloves so I don't need heat there.
If Hippo Hands weren't so ugly, I'd have a set of them.  :)

I wouldn't go there! I have ridden at -20F. Granted, not very far!

If the roads are fine I will ride all winter. Not unusual for me to do 200-300 in the 20's, many 50-75 miles days, too many to count. Ran 200 miles in 36F temps one morning, in steady rain. I have done it with a heated jacket liner and insulated gloves with no heat in them and without heated grips.

Heated gloves, I would rock and roll even colder!

I have found if you can you you body core temp overly warm with a heated jacket the body will try reject heat through my arms and legs. Blood flow increases through the hands, fingers and feet. Put on your heated jacket an wear proper layers over it so the jacket can overdo it'd job. I like to run a long sleeve tee, heated jacket, a leather jacket over that. On my legs, long johns, insulated jeans and ski bibs. If I need more I will pull on my rain gear over all of it. The rain gear works well because the wind does not get through it. it works very well for a finial layer.

If my hands get cold I will ride one handed and sit on the other one, then switch off as needed. Since both of my bikes have heated grips that isn't a problem any longer.

92flhtcu

WarmnSafe heated Gloves have a heat wire going around the filngers and thumb(think tracing your hand as a kid) and on the backs of the hand/fingers/thumb.
The Glove Liners only have the wire tracing your hand
I use both(mostly the gloves) and never noticed a discomfort/annoying thing with their wire layout
Need a bigger garage

GaryD

Quote from: 92flhtcu on November 29, 2018, 04:08:32 PM
WarmnSafe heated Gloves have a heat wire going around the filngers and thumb(think tracing your hand as a kid) and on the backs of the hand/fingers/thumb.
The Glove Liners only have the wire tracing your hand
I use both(mostly the gloves) and never noticed a discomfort/annoying thing with their wire layout

Evidently most riders don't have a problem with the way gloves are wired or the mfg's would wire them differently. All the mfg's wire the fingers around the "sides" where my fingers do not get cold. I want the wires to go from top to bottom at the end of my finger tips - that's where I get cold = fingerprint area.
AMA Life Mbr.

GaryD

I wouldn't go there! I have ridden at -20F. Granted, not very far!

If the roads are fine I will ride all winter. Not unusual for me to do 200-300 in the 20's, many 50-75 miles days, too many to count. Ran 200 miles in 36F temps one morning, in steady rain. I have done it with a heated jacket liner and insulated gloves with no heat in them and without heated grips.

Heated gloves, I would rock and roll even colder!

I have found if you can you you body core temp overly warm with a heated jacket the body will try reject heat through my arms and legs. Blood flow increases through the hands, fingers and feet. Put on your heated jacket an wear proper layers over it so the jacket can overdo it'd job. I like to run a long sleeve tee, heated jacket, a leather jacket over that. On my legs, long johns, insulated jeans and ski bibs. If I need more I will pull on my rain gear over all of it. The rain gear works well because the wind does not get through it. it works very well for a finial layer.

If my hands get cold I will ride one handed and sit on the other one, then switch off as needed. Since both of my bikes have heated grips that isn't a problem any longer.
[/quote]

:SM: :SM:  I thought Chicago weather was cold. Your temps/snow are way worse and longer.   :emsad:

I've pretty much done the same as you. Then I wised up and bought all heated gear if I was to do this every year.  :SM:

The worst I do is the Chicago Toy Parade (this Sunday). That's about 8 hours outside. 2 hours riding and the rest just standing around waiting to start. First couple years I had no heated gear.
Every Sunday after the toy run I do a brunch ride. I call it the Blue Balls Brunch ride (BBB). Normally I ride alone but sometimes a few will join me. Not many riders are like you or me. Personally, I like riding in the cold - not in 90+ degrees.   :SM:

Stay warm and have fun.  :up:
AMA Life Mbr.

PoorUB

Gary, I have considered heated pants and gloves but I'm  too cheap! The heated jacket I use all the time, it never leaves the bike, unless I  am wearing  it.

I have ridden a fair amount in the cold and ski bibs plus proper layering works well. In the fall I stock up on chemical packs, you know, the little packs you rip open and stick in your boots and gloves. Those work good enough for the few times I really need something  extra.

I know I have told this story  before, but I get a kick out of it. I walked into the dealership one October afternoon, still wearing my  heated gear and this guy started giving me crap about wearing heated gear because it wasn't necessary.  I looked at him and asked him where his motorcycle was as mine was the only one in the parking lot. His response, "Parked for the winter, it is too cold to ride!" I guess he doesn't  understand!

GaryD

Quote from: PoorUB on November 30, 2018, 09:39:52 AM
Gary, I have considered heated pants and gloves but I'm  too cheap! The heated jacket I use all the time, it never leaves the bike, unless I  am wearing  it.

I have ridden a fair amount in the cold and ski bibs plus proper layering works well. In the fall I stock up on chemical packs, you know, the little packs you rip open and stick in your boots and gloves. Those work good enough for the few times I really need something  extra.

I know I have told this story  before, but I get a kick out of it. I walked into the dealership one October afternoon, still wearing my  heated gear and this guy started giving me crap about wearing heated gear because it wasn't necessary.  I looked at him and asked him where his motorcycle was as mine was the only one in the parking lot. His response, "Parked for the winter, it is too cold to ride!" I guess he doesn't  understand!

I know those chemical packs well. I buy them by the box. I use them mainly in my boots - I do not have heated socks. I usually throw away a few packs because I don't use them all by the expiration date. I found out the hard way that the expiration date is pretty accurate.

I bet I'm as cheap as you if not more so. :SM:  But what else can I spend my SS checks on? = things I don't really need, but are nice to have.   :SM:

When I want to ride and it's only 35* I could go without heated gear, but then I tell myself "Hey, I got the gear why not use it and be "completely" comfortable instead of only 80% comfortable".   It's not like I'm renting the gear.  :idunno:

The reason most riders tell me why they don't ride in the winter is because of the salt (I don't believe that for a minute - they just don't want anyone to think they can't ride when it's cold outside   :SM:). I tell them that is no longer an excuse and tell them about S100 Corrosion Protectant. That stuff is a miracle product. After many years of using it, I still do not have a spec of rust or corrosion on my bikes. I also buy that stuff by the case.  :SM:   I highly recommend it.
AMA Life Mbr.

Hossamania

I keep trying to talk so many of my friends into heated gear, but they think it's too expensive. Once they do, they'll kick themselves for waiting. I also hear the excuse of not riding because of the salt, I had not really considered the S100 protectant. Mine just gets salted up a bit, and rinsed off in the spring. I too ride in ridiculously cold weather. I find it's actually better to be well below freezing in the winter, once it starts to get close to 30 degrees above zero, the roads start to get sloppy as the snow melts and the roads start to thaw a bit. 10 to 25 degrees is the sweet spot, but have ridden lower. Love my heated Gerbings jacket liner from the original company, bought it about ten years ago from the dealer. Even says Harley Davidson on the patch on the chest. Cool.

92flhtcu

GaryD, the First Gear/Warm n Safe gloves, the wires go around your finger tips, trust me, they do not get cold
Need a bigger garage

GaryD

December 03, 2018, 07:39:25 AM #36 Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 08:00:09 AM by GARYD
Maybe not yours, but the ends of my fingers get close to freezing.
You're right = around the tips, not the fingerprint area. I had a pair and I contacted W&S to see if they would rewire the gloves. They said no. They are wired the same way as all the other mfg's = around the sides of the fingers and around the "tips" of the fingers - not the "fingerprint area". I want the "fingerprint area" heated. Someone said they don't wire that way because riders don't want to feel the wires. I'd rather feel the wires then have frozen fingers - but that's just me.
I did read that W&S has put double heat only in the thumb of their new gloves. I don't know what that means - I "think" they mean in the fingerprint area. Not real sure. If that's the case, why just the thumbs and not all the fingers? For some reason I can't contact them on the internet and don't know their phone number. I will check for their phone number when I get home if I still have the box.
AMA Life Mbr.

92flhtcu

1-503-212-4166 is on their site
Need a bigger garage

GaryD

Quote from: Hossamania on November 30, 2018, 01:43:01 PM
I keep trying to talk so many of my friends into heated gear, but they think it's too expensive. Once they do, they'll kick themselves for waiting. I also hear the excuse of not riding because of the salt, I had not really considered the S100 protectant. Mine just gets salted up a bit, and rinsed off in the spring. I too ride in ridiculously cold weather. I find it's actually better to be well below freezing in the winter, once it starts to get close to 30 degrees above zero, the roads start to get sloppy as the snow melts and the roads start to thaw a bit. 10 to 25 degrees is the sweet spot, but have ridden lower. Love my heated Gerbings jacket liner from the original company, bought it about ten years ago from the dealer. Even says Harley Davidson on the patch on the chest. Cool.

I would agree if they were only going to ride once or twice in the winter, but if they want to ride ALL winter,  then the price is reasonable. Like I always say "I'm not spending $35K on a bike and then store it for 5 to 6 months a year" that's expensive.   :SM:

I try to stay away from sloppy streets if at all possible, but if I can't, that S100 protects my bike from the salt = cheap peace of mind.
Since I'm responsible for the 2 wheelers, I only ride if the roads are dry....doesn't matter what the temp is.
I think waiting until spring to clean off the salt is a bit too long - doesn't take long for corrosion to start. S100 will stop it before it gets a hold of your bike.  I tried the H-D protectant and it didn't work at all = crap. IMHO
AMA Life Mbr.

blown alcohol

W&S is nice quality.

I went ahead and ordered the socks, wireless heat-troller while the discount is still active. So, everything is W&S except the gloves.

I hate it's going to snow this weekend, but next weekend I will be out.
2013 CVO Ultra

kp68

I use a no rinse type car wash in hot water and road stuff comes off quick and easy. Hoping the snow holds off for a few hrs this AM so I can get my birthday ride in. Chicken out in the snow unless an emergency and getting older is a reality not an emergency. It probably did motivate the move to heated gear a good while back, however.

hd06

Just ordered the Gerbing EX Pro jacket bluetooth dual controller just set what temp you want to be and it stays there. That's what sold me I don't have to take off gloves to mess with temp.