April 19, 2024, 12:31:01 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Question on drive belts

Started by Mule, December 01, 2018, 03:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mule

I am building a rigid from scratch and using a road king  smoothie wheel with a cush drive sprocket.  The late cush drive uses a 24 mm belt , I can't find a 24 mm belt with 126 Tooth count that i need. I can find a 1 inch belt in that tooth count. the pulley is .012 wider than one inch. So the question is will a 1 inch belt run on that pulley okay? Or does it need clearance? Depending on what the belt actually measures, the 24 mm belt I have that is too large measure just under the 24 mm at 23.94mm. Or maybe some knows who makes custom sized belts?

FSG

So how close to 1" is a 1" belt, slightly wider or narrower?

1" = 25.4mm  ;  .012" = .3mm    ;  so the recess in the pulley = 25.7mm

I'd need to measure a 1" belt but I'd just run one

Mule

25.71 mm exactly on the pulley! Thanks man , I will give the 1 inch a try, worst thing that could happen is probably noise! I'm pretty deaf so I probably wouldn't hear it much anyway ,unless it has a sonic type vibration with it! LOL!

Mule

There is not a lot of information  that I can find on the widths of Harley pulley's . It's a seat of the pants deal I guess! I bought the 1 inch belt we will see what happens! I did find this!

https://www.ozbike.com.au/tech-article-cutting-harley-rear-drive-belt/