April 19, 2024, 05:51:15 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

LRS Windshields

Started by Moparnut72, December 01, 2018, 08:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moparnut72

For some background I have a 2017 Slim S. I generally ride the bike naked, the bike not me, but there are times I would like some wind protection. I have arthritis in my neck so I can get pretty sore after a few hours in the saddle. A year ago I bought a used factory shield  it helped with wind reduction but I had some buffeting. I also got a set of fangs for the forks, these helped but I wound up with a higher frequency buffeting for a lack of better words. It didn't seem like the buffeting was near as bad but after a couple of hours I was pretty beat up.So I have only used the windshield in cold weather and short trips.

So, fast forward to Thursday, two days ago, I needed to go to Reno for a recall on my truck. While I was there I decided to check out LRS in Sparks which just on the eastside of town, Reno metro area. I had been checking out their website off and on for a couple of months. It took me a couple of stops to find them, the manufacturing site is separate from the main office. It turns out motorcycle windshield manufacturing is not their major business, they do a lot of custom plastic work for different companies. A lot of it is custom interior work for law enforcement vehicles.

Continuing my guide, Dakotah Ramirez,  took me back to where they did the bike windshields. They had a couple of pieces of equipment that they use to mold the windshields. I had basically stopped to check out what they had to offer and see what they had that might work on my bike. It is not a model that is not big on shields. Dakotah asked me what height I had and if it was right and then went through a stack of shields and pulled out a clear, a smoked and a dark tint. I chose the smoked after I decided one of these recurved shields would probably help solve my buffeting issue.

We went back up front where I pulled out my wallet to pay for the shield. Dakotah refused to take any money, just take the shield and let me know how it works out for you. I couldn't believe it but i left happy to say the least.

Well to wind this up, I got time to put the shield on today. Wow, what a difference. I took my extended summer trip this past summer naked, again the bike not me, because I knew I would get beaten up by the buffeting because of the windshield I had. Well I can tell you all I will behind this shield this summer and intend to take a longer trip. I am getting old and longer trips were just a dream, maybe not so much now. Looking forward to a two week trip this summer. Thanks LRS and Dakotah. If you are looking for a better windshield check out LRS, they are an upstanding company. And yes there was an FLH in the lobby. And there were a lot of Road Glide shields in a rack in the lobby.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

Hossamania

Good on them for setting you up, that is pretty cool. Good PR too, because you just reached a good sized crowd with your review. I'm glad to hear you like this shield, I've been thinking about one for the RoadKing, LRS is now on the very short list. Maybe for the Ultra too.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

IronButt70

I'm on my second LRS recurved windshield and I love it. The first one I ordered was 1" too tall and put the top right in my line of sight. My mistake. Ordered a second 1" shorter, problem solved. My only minor complaint is that they seem to scratch easily so be careful when cleaning.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Moparnut72

They make them out of two different materials,  acrylic and polycarbonate.  The acrylic is cheaper but scratches easily. The polycarbonate has a hard coating and resists scratching. That's what I was told.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

88b

Got one on my Victory works well but it was a pig to fit . The holes don't line up properly

longrider1951

I've had a lot of good luck with Rifle windshields (rifle.com). They make replacement plastics for H-D windshields and you can customize the height, width and tint. I had an 04 Dyna with a quick detach shield that shock my head violently at 60 MPH and up. I called them and explained the problem and told them my height; they made up a new shield that was higher and wider and pre-drilled for the quick detach hardware. That solved my problem. I've used their shield on other bikes and have been happy with all of them.
There's nothing more dangerous than a resourceful idiot! (don't ask how I know)

Phu Cat

Just to keep things interesting don't forget "Fast Aire" is out there.  They make a great windshield, ship it quickly and are very reasonable.  I have a spare hanging in my garage that's 5 Yrs old and haven' t had to replace the first one yet.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

1canvas

I'm glad it worked out for you, for me is was quite different. I bought one for my 01 RK and although it was better than the Memphis Shade shield I bought the year before at 55+ mph I would get a bit of helmet buffeting that would blur my vision. I measured so I could see over the top. After a few shields I have come to the conclusion that the only way I can get around buffeting is a taller shield and looking through it, maybe. In warmer weather I don't use one.
2001 Road King

Mike Davies

I had tried a couple of different windshields on my Ultra and ended up with a LRS after trying 3 different heights. Later when I needed one for my RK I went right to LRS. They are the best of what I have tried. If you are looking for product to clean your windshield I have had the best results with Plexus...If the bugs are bad I usually start with hanging an old wet t shirt over the shield first...this gets rid of most of the crap.