April 25, 2024, 07:02:52 AM

News:

'04 FLHTCi Rotor Removal ?

Started by 92flhtcu, December 03, 2018, 05:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

92flhtcu

Boy, those 45amp rotor magnets are sure strong! I can get the rotor to rock a bit, but I sure can't opull it off by hand, tried two bolts with large flat washers to get something to pull on, tried a couple hose hooks in the other holes, it is not coming off. I see a special puller tool in my serv manual, howvere, I don;t have easy access to one.
Thinking of going to Auto Zone and checking out what I can rig with some sort of puller rented from them.
Any idea's?
Need a bigger garage

PoorUB

Ask for a harmonic balancer puller.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

klammer76

December 03, 2018, 05:26:10 AM #2 Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 05:30:34 AM by klammer76
If your rotor holes are threaded, I just put in two bolts and pull it straight off. Put it back on same way. hold bolts, thumb on end of shaft and take it in easy.

** Just reread your post and saw that you already tried this. Never had one give much of an issue. Piece of flat or angle stock, hole in center with a nut welded on back side and two holes for the bolts that thread into the rotor. install a bolt through the weld nut and pull it off. Same as the tool that is for sale.

92flhtcu

Thanks fella's!
Klammer, yep, wish i had a welder here at home, I'd have whipped that up and not asked anything on here. I'll run to town in a bit and see what the parts stores have
Thanls again!
I'll let you all know what happens, then eventually, lots of pics of my grenaded engine
Need a bigger garage

chaos901

Watch the fingers when you put the new one on. 
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

92flhtcu

Need a bigger garage

Geezer_Glider

Nut doesn't have to be welded to the flat stock, just hold it with a wrench and run a bolt in to lift the flat stock away from the shaft. Don't have to thread or weld anything for it to work. Yes those magnets are strong! And easy to chip if the rotor gets cocked putting back on without an easy slow let down, don't let it slam onto the shaft.
Just saying,
R Meyer

Moparnut72

You can get a puller at NAPA for less than $20.You can find one in the Evercraft line of tools. They are the economy line of tools that NAPA carries. You can use it for other things too, pulling a steering wheel etc. I mainly use mine to pull flywheels on outboard motors and they are on very tight.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

92flhtcu

just got back from AutoZone, $18.99 + Tax, good to go
Thanks All
Need a bigger garage