April 23, 2024, 01:33:06 PM

News:

Heat Shrink Wrap?

Started by djl, December 03, 2018, 07:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djl

Anyone aware of heat shrink material that can be wrapped around a joint instead of slipped over the wires before making the connection? I have seen some on the interweb but those materials all seem to be more aligned with more sensitive applications that address shielding, etc.

kd

You can buy heat shrink electrical tape. I haven't bought any for years. It was pricey back then but well worth it for convenience. It works well for those joints where the lead is short and the heat of soldering would shrink the tube style before you get a chance to slide it over.  It is also great for T joints where you don't want to cut the main lead you are tapping into.
KD

Boe Cole

Wow!!!  Have always wished there was something like heat shrink tape but never spent any time looking for it.  I've always preferred soldering low voltage circuits where proper and by using it on a 'T', life would be so much easier.  Anyone know where to get some.  I'll add it to my stash of heat shrink tubing.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Moparnut72

For something like that, I use friction tape. Nasty stuff, at least it doesn't come unwrapped with age like vinyl tape does. I also think it is somewhat water resistant .
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

kd

I had a quick look on-line and didn't immediately see what I was using. What I had was indistinguishable from regular black electrical tape.  I saw some options on the first search page but not that.  There were other colors and sizes (some for aircraft use) but not what I have described. I'm sure it must still be available because it was so handy and worked so well. 
KD

Hossamania

Try Buyheatshrinktape. I also googled heat shrink tape and came up with a few options on Amazon and eBay.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

truck

McMaster-Carr, name your poison.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

borno

Get the 3m rubber splicing tape at your local electrical store, it sticks to itself real good.

kd

Quote from: smoserx1 on December 03, 2018, 02:10:04 PM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Non-Adhesive-Heat-Shrink-Wrap-Tape-For-Repair-Electrical-Cable-Wire-Tube-1-x180/132597561164?hash=item1edf6e374c:rk:1:pf:0

The non adhesive is not what I have used. The tape I used was identical in appearance, feel, dimension and application to typical black electrical tape.  I don't recall seeing it (nor have I actually looked for it) since the late 70's.
KD

smoserx1

QuoteThe non adhesive is not what I have used. The tape I used was identical in appearance, feel, dimension and application to typical black electrical tape.  I don't recall seeing it (nor have I actually looked for it) since the late 70's.

I remember seeing some too way back when.  Something makes me think it was in the Radio Shack catalog, but if that is the case I am sure it is a long gone item now.

kd

Quote from: Mick0311 on December 04, 2018, 07:23:10 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on December 03, 2018, 11:05:46 AM
Try Buyheatshrinktape.

Adhesive lined right here:

https://buyheatshrink.com/heatshrinktubing/heat-shrink-kits-splices-and-end-caps/heat-shrink-tape/heat-shrinkable-tape

That type of tape is still not what I have used. It is much thicker than regular electrical tape.  Now, having said that, it is possible that the reason this seems to be the only type of tape available now is that it is better or cheaper to manufacture (or both).  I have not used it so can not comment on it's effectiveness or ease of use.
KD

motolocopat

What are you trying to achieve/avoid?

Typically a Heat Shrink is for labeling purposes, be it a wire or cable number or to change colors to indicate the wire's purpose.
If what you are trying to do it to seal out moisture or insulate or both there are other options.
Many times a combination of layers is used to achieve the desired end result.
MotoLocoPat  2015 FLTRXS, 2013FLHX, 2010FXDF
2006 Ducati S2R1000, 2004 KTM950

gordonr

I agree with "motolocopat "  For most all wiring my shop does for MC I use a TechFlex split braid. Pretty much covers most bases and looks nice. Some exceptions I will also use assorted sizes of vinyl tubing for small transitions thru some light assemblies.
"If was easy everyone would do it"

Hossamania

I'm thinking he's trying to cover and protect a spliced connection, either soldered or crimped.

gordonr

Liquid tape would do the trick.
"If was easy everyone would do it"

1FSTRK

Quote from: motolocopat on December 04, 2018, 01:24:14 PM
What are you trying to achieve/avoid?

Typically a Heat Shrink is for labeling purposes, be it a wire or cable number or to change colors to indicate the wire's purpose.
If what you are trying to do it to seal out moisture or insulate or both there are other options.
Many times a combination of layers is used to achieve the desired end result.

Could you share what they are?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

FSG

QuoteTypically a Heat Shrink is for labeling purposes, be it a wire or cable number or to change colors to indicate the wire's purpose.

you reckon .......  then I know a whole lot of industries which are using it for other purposes

there's even Heat Shrink that has an internal adhesive, brilliant stuff for insulating and keeping water including salt water out, I've use a lot of it myself in the Offshore Oil Industry over the years

then there's "Cold Shrink" which is good stuff depending on your application

djl

Quote from: motolocopatWhat are you trying to achieve/avoid?

I have only used heat shrink tubing for protecting spliced electrical connections bur never for labeling.  Heat shrink is clean and tight and in areas where the connection is visible, the connection, done right, blends in with factory wiring.

I have a spliced connection in a place that prohibited the use of heat shrink tubing and I used standard electrical tape to cover.  As we all know, regardless of  how careful and deliberate the application, electrical tape never looks as good as heat shrink and the ends eventually loose adhesion and make the joint look even worse.  Of course, the connection is at a location where I look at it every time I get near the bike and I am anal enough that it bothers me.  I am getting ready to install a Pingel electric shifter which will require tank removal and I will be working in the area of the offending connection so I am looking for a solution to replace the electrical tape.

Got any suggestions?

Hossamania

Could you put some wire loom over it?

djl

Quote from: HossamaniaCould you put some wire loom over it?

I could be would much prefer a heat shrink type cover.  I have run across something called Zipper Tape that might work; still looking. :unsure:

DGlide04

This may be of some help:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/dr-shrink--heat-shrink-tape--P004_134_002_513

Tape specifically designed to work with shrink wrap.

Heat shrink tape is an invaluable component of any shrink wrap system, and is ideal for securing pleats, temporarily sealing tank vents, reinforcing sharp corners, installing doors and repairing holes—even the ones caused by excessive heat. Dr. Shrink offers four widths to meet the demands of different applications and three colors to match existing shrink wrap. The tenacious adhesive is backed by a 9 mil film to provide extra holding power and strength exactly where it is needed. Note: clear tape is not recommended for use over 60 days and is not for exterior use. A residue maybe left behind upon removal if left on for long periods of time.

FSG

Quote from: Hossamania on December 05, 2018, 08:09:16 AM
Could you put some wire loom over it?

is that the same as or similar to "spiral wrap" ?