April 19, 2024, 05:18:13 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Heat Shrink Wrap?

Started by djl, December 03, 2018, 07:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hossamania

Quote from: FSG on December 05, 2018, 03:36:19 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on December 05, 2018, 08:09:16 AM
Could you put some wire loom over it?

is that the same as or similar to "spiral wrap" ?

That would work, I was thinking of a corrugated split loom. They make the spiral wrap in plastic chrome, of, you know, a guy was interested....
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

PoorUB

You can buy heat shrink in all colors, all diameters and lengths. If I make up a wire harness I will often slip heat shrink over the whole harness to protect the wires and make it look better.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

ricochet

In an earlier life I worked doing harness assembly and testing at an Defense Contractor.  Harnesses build on a 4 x 12 foot plywood board of nails.  App 3000 wires per harness.  Took 2 weeks to complete each unit.  They had these robust heat shrink boots that were like 1/4 inch thick once shrunk down.  Included the adhesive on the inside.  Once done they were not going anywhere.   Ruggedized equipment going into subs and on aircraft carriers.   I've used some tubing with the adhesive recently.  Stuff works great.

ricochet

djl

Guys, no disrespect but I have plenty of heat shrink tubing. My original inquiry was for information on heat shrink tape/wrap.  I have run across some "cold" shrink tape which apparently will shrink after application which requires wrapping the tape very tight to activate an agent, not sure what the agent is, that causes the tape to tighten up or shrink.  I have ordered some and will find out how it works soon.

Hossamania

I figured you were trying to protect a splice or wire that was already installed, and standard shrink tubing would not work as you did not want to cut it and redo it just to slip some tubing over it. So I understand your interest in a tape style product.
Let us know how your project turns out with the product you are ordering. I would be interested in getting some if it works.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

djl

Quote from: HossamaniaI figured you were trying to protect a splice or wire that was already installed, and standard shrink tubing would not work as you did not want to cut it and redo it just to slip some tubing over it. So I understand your interest in a tape style product. Let us know how your project turns out with the product you are ordering. I would be interested in getting some if it works.

I hope to get some time off next week to start the project and will post how well, or not, the product works; the reviews were all good. :up:

FSG

in the Oil Patch we also used an awful lot of Self Amalgamating Tape it's perhaps the product your thinking of

we had grey and black of different widths, always 3M Scotch brand

djl

The properties and instructions indicate that this tape is the same or very similar to the 3M product FSG posted above but is a bit more expensive.  I ordered a 1"x10' roll beacuse I won't need more than that.  If it works, I will probably stop using standard electrical tape altogether.