April 19, 2024, 01:31:10 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Mounting options for the Mighty Mites

Started by blown alcohol, December 07, 2018, 09:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blown alcohol

I plan to get these head fans with the new build.
Is it wise to spend the extra on the frame mount kit?
I did a search, and nothing came up about the different mounting options.

I know the history, do not really care for the looks, but if you travel you will be stuck in traffic.
2013 CVO Ultra

skunk

I went with the frame mount kit. To me it feels more secure. It was a little time consuming to place it right where I wanted it. The only thing that I don't like about the frame mount kit 0n my bike(08 RG) is you eliminate the upper mount that bolts to the top of the heads. The rep at Love Juggs said it was not a problem to not have it in place. In place most of last season no problems.

blown alcohol

Well, hopefully the frame mount is the way to go.
The 10% ebay code is only for today PHLDAYTEN
2013 CVO Ultra

IronMike113

Quote from: blown alcohol on December 07, 2018, 01:57:58 PM
Well, hopefully the frame mount is the way to go.
The 10% ebay code is only for today PHLDAYTEN

A lot more secure,,,,,,, I don't think you will be disappointed 😔
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

scott7d

I've had mine on for almost two seasons/30,000 miles mounted on the horn. It bounces some at idle, but I check frequently using a couple reference marks, and they've never actually moved.

My bike is the highest compression of anyone I ride with. The past two seasons in stop and go construction traffic, mine was the only bike that didn't kick down to one cylinder. And if you don't care for the looks, try zapping them with this nickel paint. Very close match to the motor/jugs and helps them blend in better. Here's a pic of my bike for reference.

Scott Matlock - Bloomington, IN
Iron Butt Rider #72408 - Facebook: The Hoosier Cruiser

Ohio HD

Quote from: scott7d on December 07, 2018, 05:38:37 PM
I've had mine on for almost two seasons/30,000 miles mounted on the horn. It bounces some at idle, but I check frequently using a couple reference marks, and they've never actually moved.

My bike is the highest compression of anyone I ride with. The past two seasons in stop and go construction traffic, mine was the only bike that didn't kick down to one cylinder. And if you don't care for the looks, try zapping them with this nickel paint. Very close match to the motor/jugs and helps them blend in better. Here's a pic of my bike for reference.

I really like that paint job.    :up:

1workinman

Quote from: blown alcohol on December 07, 2018, 09:03:23 AM
I plan to get these head fans with the new build.
Is it wise to spend the extra on the frame mount kit?
I did a search, and nothing came up about the different mounting options.

I know the history, do not really care for the looks, but if you travel you will be stuck in traffic.
I have those on my 12 Street Glide and it has a 124 inch motor . I live in the north Texas area but I avoid Large town stop and when it gets really hot out side . In the 100 not interested .  The fans really help as I can see how hot the oil is as I changed out the air temperature in the fairing for a  oil temp gauge  . I can see the difference . One thing I will suggest as one of my fans stopped and I called the owner of the business and he sent me a new fan . I also went to the frame mount to help reduce the vibration on the fan bearings . I seen the results of that at work .

No Cents

my mighty mites came with the rubber horn mounting system.
I've ran mine like that for a couple of years now and I haven't had any issues with them mounted that way.
I never even knew about a frame mount for them until someone posted a question about it for them last year.
  My fans do vibrate some at idle...but they don't seem to be taking anything that I would be calling too harsh of a vibration. They do vibrate a little at idle...but they seem to be riding very smooth once your up to any kind of a steady speed. I actually like mine being rubber mounted. That little bit of movement you can get with them being rubber mounted seems to help me when I go to take the plugs out. I can push down a little on the fan and get my socket and ratchet straight on the plug and have perfect alignment.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

hd06

Scott those lowers are killer where did you get them.   Thanks

scott7d

Quote from: hd06 on December 08, 2018, 12:19:08 PM
Scott those lowers are killer where did you get them.   Thanks

The speaker lowers actually came stock on the 2013 CVO Road King.
Scott Matlock - Bloomington, IN
Iron Butt Rider #72408 - Facebook: The Hoosier Cruiser

thirdjld

When I placed the order for my fans, the people at Love Jugs strongly recommended the frame mount. I found this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-xt9Oh5Rvk and was able to keep the head mounted support. You might have to cut and paste the link
It is not the critic who counts;The credit goes to the man who is in the arena

hd06

December 09, 2018, 06:37:21 AM #12 Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 06:42:32 AM by hd06

hd06

HotRodShovel

I bought my Mighty Mites from the original builder before Love Juggs got hold of them.  A whole story on its own.  Anyhow I have the fan assembly mounted to the horn bracket on a 2014 Fatboy.  It would have to be 3 1/2 to 4 years now.    No issues what-so-ever.  In NYC traffic, a nightmare, and in South Florida where the heat is oppressive in the summer, when everyone else bikes are pinging and even overheating at times, my bike runs smooth.  Those little fans work..period.   
I would recommend them to anyone.   As far as the frame mount, the original maker did not offer that as an option but then on a rubber mount motor I can see where it would come in handy. 
My 2 cents
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

hattitude

Quote from: HotRodShovel on December 10, 2018, 04:43:48 AM
I bought my Mighty Mites from the original builder before Love Juggs got hold of them.  A whole story on its own.  Anyhow I have the fan assembly mounted to the horn bracket on a 2014 Fatboy.  It would have to be 3 1/2 to 4 years now.    No issues what-so-ever.  In NYC traffic, a nightmare, and in South Florida where the heat is oppressive in the summer, when everyone else bikes are pinging and even overheating at times, my bike runs smooth.  Those little fans work..period.   
I would recommend them to anyone.   As far as the frame mount, the original maker did not offer that as an option but then on a rubber mount motor I can see where it would come in handy. 
My 2 cents

I agree and have the same experience but for one caveat....

I have had mine (made by Jason) mounted on a touring bike (rubber mounted) for 5 years and no issues from the vibration.....

Either LJ is pushing the frame mount to get more $$$$$ out of it's customers, or maybe their "improved" fans can't handle the vibration.....   :nix:

Thermodyne

I've been running Wards fans for about 6 years just using the rubber mount.  Never had an issue with the mount.   

The frame mount was originally for scooters that didn't have a horn on the left side.  Then after a while they started pushing it for all the scooters.