April 24, 2024, 08:45:08 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Best inner tube?

Started by -deuced-, December 12, 2018, 04:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-deuced-

21" front rim. Recently had installed new rim strip, tube and Avon cobra and am happy with the tyre. The tube is VeeRubber, seems to lose a pound or two every night. I watched the guy remove old tyre and install the new. Very happy with his work. I don't think tube was pinched. I did tighten valve core slightly but that made no difference. I think it's just the tube and I want to replace it. Not complaining about the shop in any way, totally my fault, I should have spoken with them sooner. It's been a couple of months. No hesitation in returning to shop. At the time, guy after me was after a tyre for salt racer. Three of us chatting away and I felt the tech new his stuff.
Anyway, what do you guys consider best brand for inner tube?

Panzer

Dunlop tube.

BTW....put a little soap solution on the valve, maybe replace the valve core.  :nix:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Maddo Snr

Vee Rubber don't have the best quality Schrader valves around. Go to a bicycle shop and buy a quality valve core. Bicycle ones seal at very low pressures. Alternatively, find a used Michelin or Bridgestone tube and use their core.

Did the Tech re-tighten the clamp-down nut on the valve stem of the new tube BEFORE he used the tube? Many new tubes weep air there. Every decent MX mechanic checks this on new tubes...
2018 FLHX 107
Rinehart 45s, SE cleaner, TTS MasterTune. 92/108

barny7655

i use a off road tube, rubber, heavy, takes a bit to fit new, but doesnt loose  air as much , and pure rubber ,cheers barny
riding since 62, BSA bantum the first bike

calif phil

Dunlop and Michelin tubes are very good.  I have no experience with Vee rubber products. 

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Panzer on December 12, 2018, 05:21:04 PM
Dunlop tube.

BTW....put a little soap solution on the valve, maybe replace the valve core.  :nix:
:agree: no matter what brand tire I get, I get the Dunlop tube  :up: I also have a 21" spoke up front
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

djl

Get rid of the tube and seal the rim as shown in the link. Did this on my BMW R9T and it can sit for weeks and might drop a pound or two.  I did have to pull the front wheel and redo a single spoke that I didn't seal correctly; probably got careless, in a hurry after doing the rear wheel first.  The front was losing a few pounds a week.  Re-did the offending spoke and the front holds as good as the rear now.  My main reason for the change was to avoid the possibility of changing a tubed tire in the Texas hill country in August when a rope plug will get me home. I have noticed that the step by step would not reveal using MS Edge but not a problem with Chrome.

https://cyb.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/KTM/Tubeless/

92flhtcu

The Bikemaster and Twin Power Tubes are the heaviest duty I've had in hand. This version came out maybe 2 / 2.5 yrs ago. I've had a lot of compliments on them from dealers. See your local Indy, or if you are in the sticks, one of our HTT supporters can help you out getting them.
Not a shameful plug 100%, these are just that good.
Need a bigger garage

guppymech

For inner tubes and wheel balance weights the Harley dealer sells good stuff.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

Panzer

Almost like ....what's best a Caddy or a Chevy??
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Pete_Vit

93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

calif phil

December 14, 2018, 07:34:19 AM #12 Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 09:46:44 AM by calif phil
Quote from: Panzer on December 13, 2018, 06:47:08 PM
Almost like ....what's best a Caddy or a Chevy??

Caddy of course!