April 25, 2024, 05:51:11 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Screaning Eagle Street Tuner ???

Started by sandrooney, December 14, 2018, 05:30:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandrooney

How hard is it to install the street tuner? The dealer wants $150.00 to install it. I have found some info on line and seems there a lot of steps especially if you want do the smart tune. 2018 Heritage.
Thanks for any help,
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

rigidthumper

So simple I could do it :)
Since you're out of the 60 day limit for SWR registration, buy the cables and do it yourself. It takes a portable unit (laptop or tablet) with a USB port and Windows. Go here: http://streetperformancetuner.harley-davidson.com/StreetTuner.aspx
and enter a string of "1"s in the VCI serial number box, and then download/install the software on the laptop. Once that's done, back to the street tuner page, click on "PRO STREET TUNER TRAINING", and after watching that, if you feel confident to continue, hook everything up and follow the directions to flash the stage 1 map into your bike.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

sandrooney

Thanks a lot. That's what I was looking for.

sandrooney

Got it downloaded/installed on my laptop. It does look pretty easy to install on the bike.  Thanks

Boe Cole

I have the tts tuner which comes with an interface device.  Don't you need one for the hd tuner?  Can you connect the pc to the bike directly without an interface device?  Just confused.....
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

tomcat64

we have found that a properly dyno'd street tuned bike will do much better than a simple street tuner download..

tomcat64

we just did a stage 3 117 M8 and ran it on the dyno with just the street tuner download, and then we actually tuned it, the download made 103hp/107tq... once properly tuner the same motor made 109hp/120tq  (I round up all the numbers)

rigidthumper

Boe-Yes, you need an interface (VCI), but I wanted him to review the software first, before buying the VCI and cables, to make sure he was comfortable with installing it himself.
Tom- I agree, measureing/adjusting on the dyno is better, but: they weren't offering to dyno his bike for $150- they were offering to install the tuner for $150.

tomcat64

Quote from: rigidthumper on December 14, 2018, 01:42:06 PM
Boe-Yes, you need an interface (VCI), but I wanted him to review the software first, before buying the VCI and cables, to make sure he was comfortable with installing it himself.
Tom- I agree, measureing/adjusting on the dyno is better, but: they weren't offering to dyno his bike for $150- they were offering to install the tuner for $150.

ya, I saw that $150 seems a bit much to simple plug in the tuner and dump in a download.. maybe we need to raise our prices.. LOL

rigidthumper

Dealer I used to work for charged 1/2 hour labor for dumping in a map or the old stage flash from Digital tech.

sandrooney

ridgedthumper, That is correct, no dyno tune just install. I don't think my local dealer dyno tunes. Even if they did I don't think I would let them. The guy's in the service department there seem to hate their jobs. They never smile and are always grumpy. The parts guy's are great as are the owners.

tomcat64, I felt $150 was a little steep.

I am not sure I will buy one. I have a Powervision, just need to buy a license ($200.00) just don't want to void warranty. This thing could really use some different pipes, it's a 114 so don't need the A/C. Don't think I can make it 2 years with these pipes. It runs great.

CndUltra88

sandrooney, your inbox is stuffed.
I have the training disk for a SETuner if your interested...
The software that comes with the tuner as you know iis strictly Mother HD.
You need to find an indy who can tune with it to your build or future build if not using HD parts.
And that will be more than the $150.00 for the shop to do it...it is simple to navigate though..the software that is.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

sandrooney

CudUltra88, I didn't know I had an inbox. Thanks a lot for the offer. I think I will just wait till my warranty runs out and use my Power Vision. I am also limited to the pipes I can use, Street Cannons or S&S Grand National both of which still have the cats in them. Thanks again

98fxstc

Quote from: CndUltra88 on December 15, 2018, 04:02:08 PM
sandrooney, your inbox is stuffed.
I have the training disk for a SETuner if your interested...
The software that comes with the tuner as you know iis strictly Mother HD.
You need to find an indy who can tune with it to your build or future build if not using HD parts.
And that will be more than the $150.00 for the shop to do it...it is simple to navigate though..the software that is.
Rob

I wonder if it would be possible for FSG to include this as a (zip ?) file in "Instructions,Service Bulletins, Recalls / HD "   ?

CndUltra88

If a guy who likes to break things till they are broke can follow pictures I'm sure those more smarter than me can figure it out,  :embarrassed:
Seasons Greetings All,
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

Boe Cole

Quote from: rigidthumper on December 14, 2018, 01:42:06 PM

Thank you - as I said, just a little confused.  If the SE Tuner is anything like the TTS, its an easy operation requiring a minimum of computer understanding.  Loading a new map is a piece of cake but to get it right - have it dyno'd by someone who has the equipment and know how to do it right.  No substitute for a good tuner.  The canned software will get you close but still leaves a lot on the table.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

sandrooney

Another question. Being that the SE Street tuner will only adjust so much and from what I understand won't adjust the AFR at all, will it adjust enough to work with aftermarket slip on's like V&H Eliminator 300's? Keep in mind that cat's are in the mufflers on my 18 Heritage 114 and that it comes stock with a high flow A/C. I have a better chance of keeping my warranty using the Street Tuner. I don't think I can last another 1 1/2 years with the stock pipes.
Thanks

tomcat64

Quote from: sandrooney on December 23, 2018, 04:44:44 AM
Another question. Being that the SE Street tuner will only adjust so much and from what I understand won't adjust the AFR at all, will it adjust enough to work with aftermarket slip on's like V&H Eliminator 300's? Keep in mind that cat's are in the mufflers on my 18 Heritage 114 and that it comes stock with a high flow A/C. I have a better chance of keeping my warranty using the Street Tuner. I don't think I can last another 1 1/2 years with the stock pipes.
Thanks

it's my understanding if you leave the air cleaner alone you shouldn't have to do anything.

sandrooney

Thanks tomcat. I have always been under that impression too but there are varying opinions on that. I know all bikes could benefit from a tune. Mine runs great as is, just need it to sound better, just trying to keep my warranty intact and more importantly don't want to do any damage by installing the V&H and not having a proper tuner. If it was a TC I wouldn't be so concerned about the warranty but been reading of some issues with these M8's. I have a Power Vision but as soon as I flash it goodbye warranty. Thanks again.