April 26, 2024, 03:15:55 PM

News:

LED tail light bulb

Started by Cozz, April 11, 2019, 07:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cozz

Anybody running a led tail light replacement bulb?  Need a recommendation. Picked up a set of custom dynamics led turn signal inserts for cheap. They are excellent. Looking for a brighter than stock tail light bulb to go with them.
2004 Electraglide Ultra Classic

Glide1962

I'm using the Custom Dynamics LED tail light and it works well.  Have a friend that installed an LED bulb in the stock socket and I think it is actually less visible than stock.  The LED is bright white and it looks like a white dot behind the red lens.

crock

Quote from: Glide1962 on April 12, 2019, 04:03:18 AM
I'm using the Custom Dynamics LED tail light and it works well.  Have a friend that installed an LED bulb in the stock socket and I think it is actually less visible than stock.  The LED is bright white and it looks like a white dot behind the red lens.

I too believe the led is less visible especially during daylight
Crock

calif phil

The $150 Custom Dynamics Pro Beam taillight is so bright, Stevie Wonder could see it.  If you just want a bulb the Kury Akyn 2237 LED bulb is pretty bright.

Buglet

Try a [super bright led bulb], they fit in the stock socket, Get the red one the white one turn the red lens to a pinkest color. There about $10.00. The amber ones work good with the amber lens. They show up in the day light to. The dynamics are super bright and good, and the Kury Akyn are over price for what you get unless you want the ones that are white and then turn amber for your front turn signal lights with smoke lens they work good.   

Cozz

Kury is very proud of their bulbs at 40 bucks each. That would be the same as CD led inserts. Looking at a 500 lumen bulb from superbright led .com, it's about 10.50, but it's long. I'll have to determine if it will fit inside the lense. A stock 1157 is 400 ish lumens, so this would be a noticeable improvement.

Cozz

After looking at the stock bulb and lense these led bulbs that are brighter than stock, lumens wise anyway, appear to be to long to fit. Bummer. There's only about 1/4 of an inch of extra space beyond the stock bulb, that won't do it. I'll keep searching and report back if I find one that works.

92flhtcu

Need a bigger garage

IronMike113

I always wondered about some kind of strobe light that would blink a few times and then come on,Kinda like you see on service type vehicles,Legal or not something that would Really get CAGES Attention,,,,,,😎
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

Hossamania

April 14, 2019, 04:58:12 AM #9 Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 05:06:37 AM by Hossamania
Quote from: IRONMIKE113 on April 14, 2019, 04:52:52 AM
I always wondered about some kind of strobe light that would blink a few times and then come on,Kinda like you see on service type vehicles,Legal or not something that would Really get CAGES Attention,,,,,,😎

There are a few products out there to do this, I'm pretty sure Kury makes one.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

92flhtcu

Ironmike0-The Kuryakyn Panacea was the original for that, several out there now
Need a bigger garage

Cozz

Quote from: IRONMIKE113 on April 14, 2019, 04:52:52 AM

The smart triple play module from custom dynamics will do that, and make your rear turn signals additional brake lights. It can do several different flash patterns. I've had one for a couple years. Works great.

Bigs

Radiantz makes a great tail/stop light. It will strobe three times and then go to very bright red. I had one on a Road Glide and when I traded it I took it off and put it on my new Road Glide. After a while it looked like water might of got in and shorted out some led's. Called Radiantz and no problem getting a replacement. Since I traded my RG on a new RK I had to get a different style Radiantz tail light and I also got the halo front turn signals and the rear turn signals from them. The turn signals seem the same as Custom Dynamics which I had on my RG.
   Bigs

boooby1744

I've got Radiantz turn signal led's on my bike,very bright. Afriend has their cyclops brake light on his '18 sgs, very cool and bright.

Buglet

The Super Bright Bulbs are the same length as a standard 1157. The Kury Akyns are a little longer, but I haven't had a problem fitting them in a light yet.

Cozz

Some good news. I ordered a pair of 1157  led front turn signal bulbs from JDM astar. They are called switchbacks. They are bright white running lights, then switch to bright amber to signal a turn. Pretty cool and cheap at 33 bucks a pair shipped.

I also ordered a pair of red 3157 tail light bulbs from the JDM eBay store. They look small enough to fit in the lense. At 14 bucks for the pair, if they don't fit i'll Put them in my truck. They should get here on Monday. I'll plug one in and report back. [attach=0]

Rusticwater

Quote from: Cozz on April 18, 2019, 05:08:45 PM
Some good news. I ordered a pair of 1157  led front turn signal bulbs from JDM astar. They are called switchbacks. They are bright white running lights, then switch to bright amber to signal a turn. Pretty cool and cheap at 33 bucks a pair shipped.

I also ordered a pair of red 3157 tail light bulbs from the JDM eBay store. They look small enough to fit in the lense. At 14 bucks for the pair, if they don't fit i'll Put them in my truck. They should get here on Monday. I'll plug one in and report back. [attach=0]
Any problems installing the 1157 bulbs? I've been considering a pair of 1157 switchbacks for my Dyna bullet turn signals, but a lot of reviews mention that some bulbs have to be ground/filed down because they don't push in far enough for the twist lock to engage...
Support the Maine lobster industry

Cozz

They went right in, no problems. Seem to be well made and pretty good quality. Time will tell.

cheech

Quote from: Cozz on April 18, 2019, 05:08:45 PM

Looks good, be a nice feature. Their site list 2 Switchbacks for 1157. Which Number did you get?
3020 SMD 1157 Switchback LED Bulbs for Limited Space Vehicle
3030 SMD 1157 White Yellow Switchback LED Bulbs

Also, what lenses you running on the marker/turn lamps?

DTTJGlide

Are you having any problems with the turns flashing fast, or have you installed some kind of resistor?

Norton Commando

For those of you that have installed a LED taillight bulb, does your cruise control still work?

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Cozz

I got the 3020 limited space bulb, which maybe wasn't necessary. There's a lot of room left in the housing for a longer bulb. I'll try to get a pic posted of the bulb in the socket.

04rkryder

I've had the Kuryakyn Panacea taillights for at least 13 years, the lens has started to crack from the Phoenix heat but still works fine. May replace it as they are or sale now.

Cozz

Pic of front turn signal housing with the 3020 limited space bulb installed.  I do have the fast flash going on. I've got a CD load equalizer for that, haven't gotten to it yet. A cheaper option might be the led compatible turn signal flasher. I've not looked into that yet either.

Cozz

Not much to update.

Ordered the wrong bulbs. Do NOT order any bulb with a CK in the number. Not a standard type of led. They blow fuses. Ordering the correct bulbs, will report back soon.