April 19, 2024, 03:06:26 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

LED tail light bulb

Started by Cozz, April 11, 2019, 07:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Y2KRKNG

Nothing beats the BAL1 (Bright Ass Light). MSRP of around 300 but I think I've seen them down around 150 before.
How bad do you want to be seen?
ATP(TurboHarry)95",Mik45,Branch/Mik "Flowmetric" heads,TW55,T.Header 2-1

Cozz

April 26, 2019, 02:50:07 PM #26 Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 02:59:48 PM by Cozz
Got the correct bulbs yesterday, so here you go. This particular bulb from JDM is  600 lumens, a stock bulb is 400 ish lumens. Got a pair from  their eBay store for 14 bucks. Not sure if i'm Sold on it. Not as bright as the custom dynamics turn signal inserts, but not awful either. I'll see if I can find something around 1000 or 1200 lm. That should be pretty close in brightness to my turn signals and call it good. What do you guys think? this Pic is running lights.
2004 Electraglide Ultra Classic

Cozz

Hossamania

Hard to tell from a picture, but it looks pretty bright. I would have to ride behind you on a group ride to compare it others, but it looks like they stand out.
Rode behind a guy on a group ride with the Bright Ass Lights last night. Looks like his brake lights are always on, so as his bike goes in and out of my vision in a row of bikes, it makes me react when I don't need to. A little obnoxious.
The law reads that rear lights "cannot be glaring." I think those BALs border on that. Some of these new LED white license plate lights too.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Cozz

I'll go out and take more pics when the sun sets.

Y2KRKNG

Quote from: Hossamania on April 26, 2019, 03:00:15 PM
Hard to tell from a picture, but it looks pretty bright. I would have to ride behind you on a group ride to compare it others, but it looks like they stand out.
Rode behind a guy on a group ride with the Bright Ass Lights last night. Looks like his brake lights are always on, so as his bike goes in and out of my vision in a row of bikes, it makes me react when I don't need to. A little obnoxious.
The law reads that rear lights "cannot be glaring." I think those BALs border on that. Some of these new LED white license plate lights too.
There's 3 brightness settings for tail and about 30 patterns for stop. Some settings are for parade only and not DOT compliant
ATP(TurboHarry)95",Mik45,Branch/Mik "Flowmetric" heads,TW55,T.Header 2-1

Cozz

So...I ordered another type of JDM red tail light bulb, about 25% brighter than the last one. Not sure if it will fit in the lense, but it should be pretty close in brightness to the CD turn signal brake lights . Should be here in a couple days. I'll keep you posted. :up:

Cozz

Update: the search is over. Found a red taillight bulb from the JDM eBay store that is very close to the brightness of the CD turn signal inserts. They rate it at 1250 lumens in white, 882 ish lumens in red. It just barely fit in the lense. They do have a similar bulb that is a little shorter, that would have been my next choice. This bulb, they show as being 1.6 inches. It clears by a millimeter or two. I bought a pair for twenty bucks. So there you have it. A cheap alternative to a very expensive led tail light.  Is it as bright as a BAL, or other similar tail light? Probably not. It IS way way better than a stock tail light. I'll try to get some pics posted tomorrow.

Cozz

:oops: Top tag window. I don't know what this light will look like shining on my tag. Maybe legal, maybe not. I don't ride at night so i'm not worried about it.  Your results may vary.

Cozz

One step further....

I'm going to try a couple  different white led bulbs in the tail light. When I was researching all this, many sources said that too bright of a white bulb will look pink in a tail light. However, the custom dynamics ts inserts are very bright white, and they sit very close to the red lense, and do not look pinkish at all. I like my red bulb but i'm Sure a lot of you guys would rather have your tag lit up correctly. We'll see what happens.....

Cozz

I tried a white bulb in the tail light. 1200 lumens ( so they say ) which should have been way brighter than my red one. It seemed that the red bulb was a touch brighter than the white, at least to me anyway. I'll keep my red bulb. Either way you go will be way brighter than an incandescent 3157. 1.6 " is the longest that will fit in the stock lense. If you pick one that is 800 or better lumens you will be happy with it.  Class Dismissed :bike: